Calling all Silver Dollar Experts!!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Calling all Silver Dollar Experts!!

Postby mj74 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:08 am

I am not knowledgeable about coins,but would like to get some for investments purposes.
I recently came across a collector that is selling some silver dollars dated 1880-1923,they are asking $30 a piece. Is this a good deal? If so which ones would be worth more to get?

Thanks In Advance! :)
mj74
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Calling all Silver Dollar Experts!!

Postby shinnosuke » Wed May 30, 2012 2:06 am

The quick answer is it depends on the condition or the wear on those silver dollars. My guess, without the benefit of having seen them, is that they are typical circulated coins, and in that case, you can get them for less. In other words, $30 is too high. I was at a coin show this past weekend where I saw them for sale at $24 and $25 each. While the price of silver is around $27-28 per oz, and if you don't have too many stacked yet, you should also consider pre-1965 dimes and quarters. There is typically less premium on those coins and they will spend very well some day (soon?). PM me if you want some more help finding coins.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AgCollector » Wed May 30, 2012 7:51 am

mj74 wrote:I am not knowledgeable about coins,but would like to get some for investments purposes.
I recently came across a collector that is selling some silver dollars dated 1880-1923,they are asking $30 a piece. Is this a good deal? If so which ones would be worth more to get?

Thanks In Advance! :)

Make sure they're real too- more and more fake ones around now days.
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed May 30, 2012 8:04 am

$30 is just a tad High for common silver Dollars at this spot level. Like Shinn said......24-25 in person or 25 shipped in voulme (roll)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby theo » Wed May 30, 2012 8:54 am

shinnosuke wrote:The quick answer is it depends on the condition or the wear on those silver dollars. My guess, without the benefit of having seen them, is that they are typical circulated coins, and in that case, you can get them for less. In other words, $30 is too high. I was at a coin show this past weekend where I saw them for sale at $24 and $25 each. While the price of silver is around $27-28 per oz, and if you don't have too many stacked yet, you should also consider pre-1965 dimes and quarters. There is typically less premium on those coins and they will spend very well some day (soon?). PM me if you want some more help finding coins.

+1 Buying a few reasonably priced morgans is fine, if for no other reason than to keep them out of Rodebaughs hands ;) However, you should be focusing on 90% pre-1964 coins. I try to get the 1960 - 1964 dimes, quarters and halves, which tend to have the most silver due to lack of wear. In addition to that, 1 OZ American Silver Eagles and Canadian Maples are nice (albeit more expensive) options.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Wed May 30, 2012 9:59 am

Today with silver at $27.50 the local coin shop is selling common Peace dollars (G thru XF) at $25 each. They are selling common pre-21 VF Morgans at $26 and XF's at $27. There is also no sales tax in Oregon so these prices are out the door!!! And here's the kicker, the owner has told me that I'm one of the rare people who come in to his store buying these dollars. He says 95+ % of the silver buyers who come in to his store buy either generic 1 oz rounds, ASE's, bars or 90% junk silver. Hardly anyone wants to pay a small "numi" premium for these old common date dollars!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Wed May 30, 2012 10:08 am

Wait wait wait... you are shopping in the wrong manner. Morgan Dollars are the most widely collected sexy discs of artfully coined silver. The market for them is huge. The demand for premium examples is strong and the pricing is many multiples of the silver content of .775 ozt ASW. You are buying what seems to be just better than bullion grade common coins. That is fine if that is what you are after. The prices of these can be around melt if you are lucky or about 50-75% over melt for AU examples from a dealer. The AU examples are still relatively common, and because the market for Morgan Dollars is so big, these coins do get absorbed, but not by the finicky Dollar investor. Those people want the goods! They want uncirculated pristine examples of common dates, or rare dates in the best condition they can find, or uncommon varieties of die pairings, or highly reflective surfaces of DMPL coins, or radiantly toned original coins, or the list goes on... The point is that you "would like to get some for investments purposes"

A true investment in Morgan Dollars is NOT going to be the common grade and just better than bullion type. That type of purchase (and resale value) will be strongly dependent on the price of silver. If you want truly investment grade, then you need to take your time and learn about the coin... "buy the book before the coin," the wise men say. After researching what coin is going to make the better investment for you and one that you can appreciate being the steward of, then you can go shopping for your investment.

Otherwise, if you just want to get some Morgan Dollars to just have them, then put a WTB listing here on realcent and I am 100% sure that a helpful member will get you some nice Morgans for less than $30 each.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby JobIII » Wed May 30, 2012 10:20 am

MH, I was waiting for you to join this conversation :). Ladies and Gentlemen the expert has arrived.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 am

Good advice MH. :)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals