I hit a nerve with melt values

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I hit a nerve with melt values

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Bored last night, so I decided to spam-bid (coin name here) and see how long it would take for me to be outbid on eBay a/or win some coins at melt (hey, you never know!). Now, I operate on the mantra that the S&H needs to be factored into the melt value of said coin. So if the S&H is $3, I need to factor that into the melt price and then bid accordingly. I also went after the Best Offer deals and see if those guys would bite.

While I got outbid (some went for a few bucks beyond melt!), counteroffers for more money beyond melt, and declined offers (with no explanation, it'll make sense in a minute) left and right this morning, I got one nasty message from one seller out of the bunch of best offers I did:

$XX? Are you [fluffing] nuts? I shouldn't even bother giving a counteroffer. You [fluffing] make me sick!!

I won't bother with the second one given he used a racial epithet on that one. And I ain't even remotely related to that race at all!!

What was interesting is that the guy was asking for $7 S&H for ONE COIN, no combo shipping, and a high pricetag for his coins. And it was one of those 30 day deals with BIN. Makes you wonder.......
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: I hit a nerve with melt values

Postby SilverEye » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Why do people get so emotionally invested in these small transactions?
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby m21221 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:19 pm

Because they take it as personal attack!
m21221
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fb101 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:43 pm

Yeah but a con artist like the one described HATES getting called on his' BS.
They can get violent.
Anyway they ought to take it as a personal attack and be glad it's not his' previous customers with clubs and torches.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:11 pm

The response came from a miserable bastard who has never even been in so much as a fist fight.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:07 pm

fb101 wrote:Yeah but a con artist like the one described HATES getting called on his' BS.
They can get violent.
Anyway they ought to take it as a personal attack and be glad it's not his' previous customers with clubs and torches.

Thats the weird thing, I only offered what I thought was a fair bid. He has every right to either accept it a/or decline it. But the insults? Yeah, no good.

And i'm still amazed at the prices some people are bidding for the coin in question. Going alone on the outbids, I've seen a couple of the outbids go for several dollars over melt!! A couple in cases where the S&H is not figured in to the bid price. Some multiple coin lots I went for ended up with bids where it incurred an extra few bucks PER COIN. The hell....?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby texcollex » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:45 pm

Money laundering
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:52 pm

texcollex wrote:Money laundering

Doubtful given the piddy amounts. Plus you have to pay both eBay and Paypal, so.......not exactly a good way to launder money.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:57 pm

So alot of my spam-bids have ended with no under melt win......and I still find prices go for dollars over melt.

Mulling if I should break my rules for one lot. Under melt for several coins, but S&H is $1.50.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:47 am

cesariojpn wrote:So alot of my spam-bids have ended with no under melt win......and I still find prices go for dollars over melt.

Mulling if I should break my rules for one lot. Under melt for several coins, but S&H is $1.50.

I hit Small Coin show last Weekend an all the coin was under melt :D The .999 was up about $1.50 did get a little ;)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby m21221 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:11 pm

Interpersonal skills and the keyboard are interesting dynamics! Just a couple of misplaced keystrokes can ruin a potential relationship. I had it happen this weekend when I offered a few dollars less for rolls of pre-65 silver and got how a dare I response. Funny thing was I would have ultimately paid the asking price. Oh well.
m21221
Penny Sorter Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:52 pm

m21221 wrote:Interpersonal skills and the keyboard are interesting dynamics! Just a couple of misplaced keystrokes can ruin a potential relationship. I had it happen this weekend when I offered a few dollars less for rolls of pre-65 silver and got how a dare I response. Funny thing was I would have ultimately paid the asking price. Oh well.

I know, I just saw a lot of coins I would like, and the auction is for a charity, but it's shipping restricted. No matter, just ask and see whats up.

God, who would've thought a CHARITY auction would garner such a BS attitude from the seller? It's a freaking charity auction, only the lowest of low would pull a scam!! Just because you got burned by one of my fellow neighbors doesn't mean you need to inflict it onto the rest of us.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby m21221 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:10 pm

m21221 wrote:Because they take it as personal attack!

BTW I just realized my keyboard dynamics were off...I meant the seller took it as a personal attack not the potential buyer. My bad, back to interpersonal school night school.
m21221
Penny Sorter Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:45 pm

m21221 wrote:
m21221 wrote:Because they take it as personal attack!

BTW I just realized my keyboard dynamics were off...I meant the seller took it as a personal attack not the potential buyer. My bad, back to interpersonal school night school.

Didn't notice, so it's all cool.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals