Betting on a lower g/s ratio could be profitable

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Betting on a lower g/s ratio could be profitable

Postby SilverBoots » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:13 pm

We are getting close to a G/S ratio of 60...a medium-term plan of buying silver and shorting gold could prove profitable in a sideways or bullish market...possibly even a down market. The only thing this strategy is betting on is the ratio moving downwards. Possibly something to look at, this was the trade to be in August of 2010. :mrgreen:
SilverBoots

Re: Betting on a lower g/s ratio could be profitable

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:23 pm

I see this is your first post. Welcome to realcent. Been lurking long?

What are some of the best resources you use for financial info and for making a buck off the GS ratio?

Thanks and have fun here.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Silver is still largely an industrial metal...I don't think the ratio will go dramatically lower until the economy starts to pick up. Until then I believe gold will outperform. Long term, I think there just might be more to make in silver, but not until the economy improves. That's just one stackers opinion and I could well be wrong. I hold both gold and silver so I won't be too disappointed as long as both help me maintain purchasing power.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverBoots » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:20 pm

You are correct, silver has a strong correlation with the economy (ie S&P). Considering this, the reason why I will enter this trade in the near future if the ratio continues to increase is because gold also shows this correlation and the metals move in the same general direction. I'm solely betting on the ratio, not the price direction...and I don't see the ratio topping the 70 territory. I wouldn't bet the whole farm on this trade, but a nice side trade could add some frn's and be used to stack some more metal. It has a pretty good chance of paying off medium term when the ratio hits the 40's.
SilverBoots

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:24 pm

The sure bet is if you don't stack you'll never know. Miss a day of golf, bowling, etc and buy some PM's... I for one like silver and gold... and copper.. and... :D
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverBoots » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:09 am

I've entered into this trade at a G/S ratio of around 56.
SilverBoots

Postby SoFa » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:37 am

I'm inclined to go the opposite of this trade since the ratio is rising.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 am

SilverBoots wrote:We are getting close to a G/S ratio of 60...a medium-term plan of buying silver and shorting gold could prove profitable in a sideways or bullish market...possibly even a down market. The only thing this strategy is betting on is the ratio moving downwards. Possibly something to look at, this was the trade to be in August of 2010. :mrgreen:

Welcome brother....yes indeed, a sound course of action, it does look as if the g/s ratio is going lower....i might just have bought a few ASE rolls, but with my early dementia, i cant remember. (lol)
neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:06 am

reddirtcoins wrote:The sure bet is if you don't stack you'll never know. Miss a day of golf, bowling, etc and buy some PM's... I for one like silver and gold... and copper.. and... :D

and ....wheat...dont forget wheat bru.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals