Where is the best place to buy graded small gold?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Where is the best place to buy graded small gold?

Postby aaa30040 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy PCGS/NGC gold in the $2.5 or $5 or $10 face old gold coins as close to spot as possible? Not really interested in the collector grades, but cheapest certified so I know it is real and the grade since I am not smart enough to know either by myself.
buying wheat pennies at $0.03 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
buying copper pennies at $0.014 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Where is the best place to buy graded small gold?

Postby deacon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:36 pm

You are going to pay a premium for graded coins. Even more so for St Gaudens pre 1933 coins.

Its sounds like you want to buy less than an ounce at a time. Why don't you try fractional American Gold Eagles (or buffalos)? Buy a few different sizes (1/10th oz, 1/4th oz, maybe even 1/2 oz) from a reputable dealer. I'm partial to provident metals. Then buy a small scale that goes out a few decimal points. Now you can weigh new coins against these coins. If they are pretty close, then it is probably gold. Don't forget to try a strong magnet also.

You can do the same with old gold coins if you like. Buy an AU or EF coin as your reference.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby Oakair » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:05 pm

deacon wrote:You are going to pay a premium for graded coins. Even more so for St Gaudens pre 1933 coins.

Its sounds like you want to buy less than an ounce at a time. Why don't you try fractional American Gold Eagles (or buffalos)? Buy a few different sizes (1/10th oz, 1/4th oz, maybe even 1/2 oz) from a reputable dealer. I'm partial to provident metals. Then buy a small scale that goes out a few decimal points. Now you can weigh new coins against these coins. If they are pretty close, then it is probably gold. Don't forget to try a strong magnet also.

You can do the same with old gold coins if you like. Buy an AU or EF coin as your reference.

Are there frac buffs? That'd be awesome if so, i love those things

Also, in reference to the topic ay hand...I would say Ebay...keep a bid amount in mind and eventually you will bet one you like.
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby deacon » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:38 am

They made frac buffalos for one year. 2008. They have been discontinued for some reason. Now that I think about it, its probably more of a numismatic play than bullion.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:03 am

Look, it's just not going to happen unless you stumble upon a fool willing to accept a low-ball amount that is not based upon even the wholesale price. Pre-1933 graded pieces command a premium. You are not educated in the authentication of numismatic coin, so you are wise to want to get 3rd party opinion of your purchase, but it will not be free.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Coppercrazy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:51 am

A good local coin shop will offer even slabbed low denomination lower grade gold coins for a modest premium. My local coin shop gets in collections sometimes that has even circulated common morgans slabbed-he doesn't charge extra just because somebody paid to have it slabbed. He sold me a 1/10th oz gold slabbed for spot plus 10.00 which I thought was fair.I know he's had $5s and $10s slabbed for modest premiums over spot because they were nothing special numismatically speaking.
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals