Driven by gold and silver prices, thieves target coin collec

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Driven by gold and silver prices, thieves target coin collec

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 am

Driven by gold and silver prices, thieves target coin collections

here's why gun control is hitting your target......and maintaining strict OPSEC....and situational awareness is imperative.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/cri ... story.html

poor fella.....eventually justice was served, on a happier note, here's one scumbag, that wasnt so "lucky"

http://www2.tbo.com/news/pasco/2012/jun ... ar-414285/
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Driven by gold and silver prices, thieves target coin co

Postby Thogey » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:49 am

Even if you shot and killed a robber, you're screwed. Having a coin shop seems really risky. The first article discussed theives being Russian mafia and possibly other organized crime. Those kind of people will grab your precious child off his or her bike, put a gun to his/her head and force you to give up your coins. Then they will blow your kid's brains out right in front of you before they kill you. These types of people will then eat a full meal and sleep like a baby that very night.

If you manage to get the drop on one of these guys and kill them first, than what? Your life is over because you will not be able to find a corner of this planet Earth where you are safe.

Is it worth maintaining these coin hoards? When I really think about it I feel like making sure I have nothing worth stealing. It's just not that important.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby barrytrot » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:12 am

Thogey wrote:Even if you shot and killed a robber, you're screwed. Having a coin shop seems really risky. The first article discussed theives being Russian mafia and possibly other organized crime. Those kind of people will grab your precious child off his or her bike, put a gun to his/her head and force you to give up your coins. Then they will blow your kid's brains out right in front of you before they kill you. These types of people will then eat a full meal and sleep like a baby that very night.

If you manage to get the drop on one of these guys and kill them first, than what? Your life is over because you will not be able to find a corner of this planet Earth where you are safe.

Is it worth maintaining these coin hoards? When I really think about it I feel like making sure I have nothing worth stealing. It's just not that important.

I am glad I don't think that way.

I feel safe where I am.

If you like some place where you don't feel safe move immediately. Being homeless where you are safe is better than living in a house where you are not.
barrytrot

Postby barrytrot » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:14 am

NOTE: I know that someone could drive over here and kill me right now. But the odds are low enough that some disease will likely take me out first.

It's all about the odds. Odds of someone in my neighborhood being gunned down 0.00001% per year. Odds of someone dying from other causes probably 0.1% or so per year. So I'll worry about those causes first :)
barrytrot

Postby Thogey » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:42 am

barrytrot wrote:
Thogey wrote:Even if you shot and killed a robber, you're screwed. Having a coin shop seems really risky. The first article discussed theives being Russian mafia and possibly other organized crime. Those kind of people will grab your precious child off his or her bike, put a gun to his/her head and force you to give up your coins. Then they will blow your kid's brains out right in front of you before they kill you. These types of people will then eat a full meal and sleep like a baby that very night.

I feel safe where I am.

If you like some place where you don't feel safe move immediately. Being homeless where you are safe is better than living in a house where you are not.

The odds of you dying are 100%, but that's not the point.

I live in an extremely safe neighborhood. Everyone here has multiple firearms. Trayvon would not have lasted near as long here as he did at the hand of Zimmerman. Everyone knows everyone, overall good folks. But, If I won the big lottery, the first thing I would do is hire private security, a lawyer and accountant and move.

You are right. Anyone can come get you if it's worth it to them. Barry I don't care how safe you feel. Like Niel indicated, OPSEC is key. This coin dealer that was robbed was not a victim of a random act. Would you advertise that you have "say $100K" in bullion at your house on this board? It doesn't matter how safe you feel, there is enough info about all of us on this board where a gangster could join up, spend a year or so earning our trust and plan a pretty good score. I think a gangster would hit anyone of us for a lot less than $100K. For an experienced organized crime outfit, it wouldn't be that hard to do. I'm glad you "feel" safe. But please, like neil indicated be situationally aware.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby scyther » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:39 pm

Thogey wrote:
barrytrot wrote:

I feel safe where I am.

The odds of you dying are 100%, but that's not the point.

I live in an extremely safe neighborhood. Everyone here has multiple firearms. Trayvon would not have lasted near as long here as he did at the hand of Zimmerman. Everyone knows everyone, overall good folks. But, If I won the big lottery, the first thing I would do is hire private security, a lawyer and accountant and move.

You are right. Anyone can come get you if it's worth it to them. Barry I don't care how safe you feel. Like Niel indicated, OPSEC is key. This coin dealer that was robbed was not a victim of a random act. Would you advertise that you have "say $100K" in bullion at your house on this board? It doesn't matter how safe you feel, there is enough info about all of us on this board where a gangster could join up, spend a year or so earning our trust and plan a pretty good score. I think a gangster would hit anyone of us for a lot less than $100K. For an experienced organized crime outfit, it wouldn't be that hard to do. I'm glad you "feel" safe. But please, like neil indicated be situationally aware.

Wow I never thought of that... for that record, to all you gangstas lurking here, I have no gold, about 5 ounces of silver, and less than $100 FV in copper! Don't kill me! :shock: :o
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:07 pm

For anyone that might get the wrong idea... I have no PMs, guns in every room, a wife that can also shoot, and a bad-ass mean dog.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Mossy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:37 am

Thogey wrote:Is it worth maintaining these coin hoards? When I really think about it I feel like making sure I have nothing worth stealing. It's just not that important.

What you really have or don't have does not matter. Muggers are willing to kill people for what /might/ be in their pockets, that type is not going to accept your word for it that you have nothing to steal but will torture whoever they get their hands on and say "he deserved it for not having anything worth stealing". Of course they will kill everyone after, saying "They deserved it for being victims."

Of course, there's the problem of us using our real names and addresses in buying and selling. Someone could build quite a list with a few deals. How do we avoid that potential problem?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby RTPMarine » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:27 pm

You can extend your homeowners insurance to cover theft of precious metals wherever you travel (meaning not just in the home, but also in your car, suitcase, safety deposit box, buried treasure chest, etc). You can usually cover $10,000 worth for like $20 a year. Problem solved.

Guns and dogs are good, too. For me, it's an XDM-45acp and a couple German Shepherds.
"Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore."
RTPMarine
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:20 pm

No insurance policy can make you and your loved ones bullet proof.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby RTPMarine » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:36 pm

Mossy wrote:No insurance policy can make you and your loved ones bullet proof.

You don't need to live your life in such fear. It'll be okay!
"Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore."
RTPMarine
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:03 pm

Thogey wrote:Trayvon would not have lasted near as long here as he did at the hand of Zimmerman.

I have to wonder if gun ownership is compensation for something else sometimes.....
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:06 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
Thogey wrote:Trayvon would not have lasted near as long here as he did at the hand of Zimmerman.

I have to wonder if gun ownership is compensation for something else sometimes.....

You mean like a Corvette? :lol:
Thogey

Postby Rosco » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:32 am

30 some years ago I was in SW LA visiting my mother in the house I was brought up in 1945 to 1957. Doing an outside project all of a sudden the lady two houses down is yelling at two colored boys walking thru neighbor hood ( Get out of Here You black trash we don't want you here) She was also Colored so She could say that, an they did look like Trouble waiting to happen. That was a neighborhood in transition with fair home values.
Visited area again 7 Years ago an still good shape looked like mostly Owner occupied but perhaps 15% to 20% had Bars on out side Windows about 1/2 mile from Watts. Still an Integrated neighborhood not great but the other option is a 2 to 3 hour commute on good days to Your Job each way. Original Subdivision was about 300 homes with others of 200 to 400 homes built nearby in 40s to early 1950 in a strip of county land between LA an Gardena. Talked to the fellow who bought Moms house an he said that the number of wives home during the day made it fairly Safe, still lots of children in the hood. To me this reflects the importance of neighbor hoods for Safety. Could be a realcenter there today :?: Original home cost $9,500 extra $250 for corner lot :)
Last edited by Rosco on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:34 am

Thogey wrote:
cesariojpn wrote:

You mean like a Corvette? :lol:

No, that's an indication of a mid-life crisis.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby chris6084 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:14 pm

I don't have anything to worry about. I trust the bank completely with my life savings of $5, so I keep no money in the house. No gold, no silver, no copper, not even any zinc. The most valuable thing in my house is the beer in the fridge. There are guns in the house with easy reach, and the wife knows how to shoot. Also, since I live in Texas, I can shoot anybody who breaks into my house, It does not matter if they have a weapon or not.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:32 pm

mmmmmmm.......beer.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby emptypockets » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:15 pm

gun ownership equals ...equality......the worst sound a home invader wants to hear is the action of a pump action shotgun from the other side of a door or the slide cock on a pistol.....if your not feeling safe as the one gentleman said then move...i myself have my stash in numerous places a vault the bank and a few other undisclosed areas my significant other doesnt even know about for her own safety......come for my valuables when im not home there all yours ....make the mistake of coming for them when my family is home and you will find yourself in need of a feeding tube or worse a pine box. :twisted:
emptypockets

Postby barrytrot » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:46 pm

The problem with gun ownership is if you are smart your guns are in your gun safe not in your back pocket ready to "draw".

Therefore they are not as valuable as the gun the bad-guy has in his hand already.

The best home invasion defense has to be a secondary entry way with bullet proof everything, so that only those you LET IN can get past it. Sure they could sledge hammer their way in within 20 minutes or so but that's easily enough time for you to "arm up" and also call the police.

If I ever had enough cash on hand (instead of in the bank where it is probably less safe unfortunately) I would do that. Sort of like a "moat" in the old days.
barrytrot

Postby Thogey » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:01 pm

But my S&W model 38 bodyguard feels so good in my pocket.

When I'm in the bush hiking and fishing it feels really good. I enjoy fondeling it. In fact it feels good right now. All my doors are wide open. I can hear a mouse pee on a piece of cotton at 200 yards here.
Thogey

Postby Engineer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:41 pm

Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thogey

Postby Chaboo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:11 pm

:o Not the twist I expected! :lol:
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SteelCityCopper » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:19 pm

barrytrot wrote:The problem with gun ownership is if you are smart your guns are in your gun safe not in your back pocket ready to "draw".

Concealed carry... that's smart and safe.
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Oakair » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:57 pm

:lol: That bear story was awesome...
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals