Marketplace Poll

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How much do you like to spend on a typical purchase of silver or gold?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:22 am

<$50
21%
$100
13%
$200
20%
$300
7%
$400
3%
$500
16%
$750
2%
$1000
8%
$2000
3%
$2500+
7%

Total votes : 61

Marketplace Poll

Postby Engineer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:22 am

One of the biggest advantages of a forum like this is being able to go directly to the buyers (or sellers) to ask what they want. The question here is how much do you like to spend on a typical auction/purchase of silver or gold:

If you have a different number in mind, post it and I'll put up a graph of the responses.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Marketplace Poll

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:21 am

I'd say "All of the above". Depends on the opportunity.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:49 am

OneBiteAtATime wrote:I'd say "All of the above". Depends on the opportunity.

Very true, however, lets make the opportunity the same.

A man shows up with some ASEs to sell. You trust the guy as he is an old family friend. He askes how many ASEs you want at $28 each (a good deal, but not a barn burner). He has 5 BU monster boxes, and will sell one coin or up to all 5 boxes. What do you do?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:58 am

"How much would I like to spend?" or "How much do I actually spend?" The answers to those two questions are very different for me. ;)

Like to spend: $1,000-$2,000
Actually spend: $100-$300
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby db23 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:23 am

Rodebaugh wrote:

Very true, however, lets make the opertunity the same.

A man shows up with some ASEs to sell. You trust the guy as he is an old family friend. He askes how many ASEs you want at $28 each (a good deal, but not a barn burner). He has 5 BU monster boxes, and will sell one coin or up to all 5 boxes. What do you do?

Buy all 5 and flip to Provident immediately for a $6000+ profit!
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby newton7 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:04 am

I agree it depends on the deal. Local sellers I can do small deals but if I use the LCS i need to beat the taxes and buy enough to make it considered an investment.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:56 am

There is like to, and there is have done. This challenged me to go to my tracking spreadsheet and see what I had actually "done". Of course this would all be presuming that my buys were real, and not pretend buys. But if they had been real buys, the dollar value of my average transaction is just under the poll number that I selected.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ScottyTX » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:00 am

I usually hit the 2500+ mark on all my purchases, but.... so far this year my cash supply has been limited and buys have been minimal :(
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:27 am

Rodebaugh wrote:

We would like to give you the opportunity to use spell check. Or just switch from WV to English
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:16 pm

slickeast wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:

We would like to give you the opportunity to use spell check. Or just switch from WV to English

Peter... are you funnin' hillbonics? :shock:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Engineer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:31 pm

Hawkeye wrote:"How much would I like to spend?" or "How much do I actually spend?" The answers to those two questions are very different for me. ;)

Like to spend: $1,000-$2,000
Actually spend: $100-$300

I could have worded that better...but I was worried about using the past tense because it would show what size of lot people had been buying rather than the optimal size they'd like to see.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:36 pm

You'll note that I didn't actually state in my post what my average buy size is... ;) Someone with superuser rights may be able to back out my vote, but in general it's a hidden ballot.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:00 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:

Very true, however, lets make the opportunity the same.

Three words.
Realcent Group Buy.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:56 pm

68Camaro wrote:You'll note that I didn't actually state in my post what my average buy size is... ;) Someone with superuser rights may be able to back out my vote, but in general it's a hidden ballot.

I noticed. :lol:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:09 pm

It really just depends on what the item is, how good I consider the prices at the time and how much paper I have available. In the past 30 days my smallest has been $2.50 and the largest has been the $2500+.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:10 am

Thanks for the responses everybody. It looks like the majority of the market is looking for deals under $200, but there's also a decent opportunity in the $500 range.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:26 am

The more you spend, the better deal you will get
misteroman

Postby RichardPenny43 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:29 am

I'm <$50. I'll buy more when I can but lately it's a little bit at a time.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:09 am

Engineer wrote:Thanks for the responses everybody. It looks like the majority of the market is looking for deals under $200, but there's also a decent opportunity in the $500 range.

Replot it as response x $. You'll get a different look. The small but sigificant number at 1000+ dominate the total sales.
68Camaro

Postby Engineer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:57 pm

68Camaro wrote:Replot it as response x $. You'll get a different look. The small but sigificant number at 1000+ dominate the total sales.

You're absolutely right.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Chief » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:53 pm

misteroman wrote:The more you spend, the better deal you will get

+1
I've hit the 20xFV price range twice this year, while spot is higher on larger purchases. That is the way to go, although it also relies on buying close to the dip. Stretch those dollars.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals