$262,000 in gold buried in her yard missing.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

$262,000 in gold buried in her yard missing.

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:39 am

From my hometown paper and ten miles down the road from us. http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120617/NEWS/206170325

Ashland buried treasure stolen?
Woman claims safe full of $262,000 in gold buried in her yard missing
June 17, 2012
An Ashland woman says she buried a safe containing $262,000 in gold Krugerrands in her backyard two years ago. But when she went to dig it up earlier this year, it was gone.

On March 15, the woman reported to police that the safe was missing, but since then police have exhausted all leads and the case is dormant, said Ashland police Sgt. Jim Alderman. Police will not release the victim's name, because of the high dollar amount involved.

The case was complicated by the woman's refusal to let anyone conduct an extensive search of her property.

"She refuses to have her backyard excavated or allow anyone to search with a metal detector," said Alderman.

The woman told police she began buying gold in 2006. She said when she returned to dig up the safe, she found other containers of money and precious metals that she had buried, but not the safe.

According to investigators, there was no evidence of fresh digging on the property. They theorize that if the safe were stolen it could have happened shortly after it was buried in 2010. The woman was able to provide police with receipts for the gold, proving that it was at one time in her possession.

Tracking the coins is difficult because there are no serial numbers, said Alderman. There also are several local places where thieves could cash in precious metals without tipping off police.

Gold dealers are required to file a federal tax form only if someone turns in 25 or more Krugerrands or Canadian maple leaf coins at a time, according to Michael Cotta, owner of Rogue Valley Coin and Jewelry.

"If it's less than 25, then we don't have to do it," said Cotta.

Alderman said it's not uncommon for people to find valuables hidden on their property.

"People that buy old homes in Ashland once in a while will find silver and gold in the walls or under the house," said Cotta, "because people didn't used to trust banks, and it's sort of happening again."

At current gold prices, a Krugerrand is valued at about $1,700, according to goldprice.org.

The woman said that two years ago she hired a man to dig several big holes in her yard, which is within Ashland city limits, and then later she buried the gold and other valuables in the holes. Police have interviewed the man who dug the holes, as well as other possible suspects or witnesses, with no results.

Mandy Valencia is a Mail Tribune reporter. Reach her at 541-776-4486 or avalencia@mailtribune.com.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: $262,000 in gold buried in her yard missing.

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:52 am

Maybe someone (the guy who dug the holes, a neighbor, a friend of a neighbor, the trash guy, whatever) dug it up and took it.

But it's most likely that she just lost the dang thing - it's probably still out there. So now everyone knows where to go dig!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PennysaverCP » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:01 am

There will be 100 guys with metal detectors on her property in the mourning.
PennysaverCP
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:52 pm

It seems very unusual the same person who buries hundreds of thousands in gold, would also pay someone else to dig the holes. If I couldnt dig a hole for my own metals, the last place Id want it, is in a hole.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:12 pm

I should add the next town to the south of Ashland OR is Yreka CA were $3 million was stolen this year see --http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11663&hilit=+yreka
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:43 pm

Does she have alot of cats or is a hoarder? That might be a factor.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:45 pm

An insurance scam or dementia are possibilities.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:20 pm

My first thought is also the scam or ability to say "Nope - I had some gold, but it was stolen, check with the PD - I filed a report." Most of us usually lose our stack in freak boating accidents though. lol.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Maybe she had a poor septic system. The dang thing backed up and she had to call the poop truck! I bet the back-hoe cracked open the safe and then the sucker truck just sucked all them gold coins off to poopy heaven.

I think only members here with septic systems will get crack a smile over this!

(old house I used to live in...had to do this almost every other year!)
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:30 pm

It probably just sunk a couple feet and she'll find it when she stops being stubborn and lets someone else dig.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby John_doe » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:38 pm

I never really understood the logic behind someone burying money. I always thought it was an old wives tale, or a joke. :roll:
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby deacon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Sounds like a scam. She has the paperwork for buying the coins, but in 6 years she could have sold them all, bought more on a dip, then sold again. Then she has two sets of receipts. Rinse and repeat.

If this is real, she should buy a good metal detector.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:56 pm

First Yreka and now Ashland...sounds like "the Siskiyou gang" is at it again. LOL
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:15 am

sounds like it could be a creative case of insurance fraud...
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:38 am

agmoose wrote:ability to say "Nope - I had some gold, but it was stolen, check with the PD - I filed a report." Most of us usually lose our stack in freak boating accidents though. lol.

Valid point...

I don't have a boat, but most of my stack was lost when my fishing shack fell through the ice last winter.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rob72830 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:34 am

Sounds like a scam to me. If she really had buried a safe in her backyard, there should have been depressions in the ground from the dirt settling. If I was the insurance company, I would force her to let a team of investigators scan her yard before I paid one red cent. I bet if the insurance refused to pay, she would be begging them to come and detect her property. If she didn't then that would be proof that no one stole her gold and the insurance still pays nothing.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:00 am

Surprised how many are so quick to judge with such poor reporting including a lack of depth and so few and incomplete details. Just goes to show how the media can spin twist and lead people with a bias and slant an audience into believe anything. If this lady was robbed I'd feel terrible after such quick flippant judgement about something potentially so significant and devastating.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:36 pm

That said she found /other/ stashes she'd buried. Who wants to bet against her yard being searched and dug up as soon as she has to leave for any length of time?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Scam, 100%

Give the old biddy her due, though. She had the nerve to file a false police report.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Bigsarge » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:14 pm

I have alot of reciepts for things I don't have anymore.....
Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

Oh, it looks good on you though.
Bigsarge
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:00 pm

I'm betting this is a scam too. I know that if I lost something of great value that I buried in the ground, WHY would I not want someone to help me find it? Use a metal detector. It's not like she can't relocate this "stash" if she feels like someone would rob her or something.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:54 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:I'm betting this is a scam too. I know that if I lost something of great value that I buried in the ground, WHY would I not want someone to help me find it? Use a metal detector. It's not like she can't relocate this "stash" if she feels like someone would rob her or something.

Unless she bought the gold with a life insurance settlement after her husband disappeared in a tragic boating accident. :?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals