Chinese Pandas

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Chinese Pandas

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:11 am

Personally, I don't have a lot of silver, but I like to diversify as much as possible: 40%, 90%, Canadian 80%, generic rounds, AEs, Maples, Phils, etc. I even like the Australian lunar series, the Canadian wildlife series and Britannias. I was looking the other day at Chinese pandas, and it just seems like the premium is very high for the mintage numbers. I know they're collected by a lot of people, but a $13-14 premium seemed pretty high to me. Does anyone here buy them and, if so, is that a normal premium?
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Chinese Pandas

Postby penny pretty » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:21 am

chinese citizens could not legally own silver coins until 2011. That being the case, pandas mostly get bought by the chinese, thus the high premium. I own a few, just to have them.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:37 am

Thanks. That makes sense. I have a couple of pandas that I bought few years back, and I didn't remember the premium being that high then. I might pick up one or two a year despite the premium, just to have them.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:09 am

There was a 2012 Panda group buy on bullionstacker a few months ago. It's taken a long time for the delivery, but the premium is only $6-7 on that purchase at today's prices.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jacer333 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:20 pm

I like to buy one of each major bullion coin each year for the collection, and the panda is one of my favorites for sure. Always a nice, frosty coin with a unique design on it.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:38 pm

If you head over to the kitco numismatic forum bucket you'll find a very informative and popular thread dedicated to the Panda.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver Addict » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:07 pm

shinnosuke wrote:There was a 2012 Panda group buy on bullionstacker a few months ago. It's taken a long time for the delivery, but the premium is only $6-7 on that purchase at today's prices.

At the actual time the order was placed wasn't the premium around $3 over?
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Silver Addict wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:There was a 2012 Panda group buy on bullionstacker a few months ago. It's taken a long time for the delivery, but the premium is only $6-7 on that purchase at today's prices.

At the actual time the order was placed wasn't the premium around $3 over?

Yes, I think you're right. It was a good deal either way. By the way, mine arrived today. Look great.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RTPMarine » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:26 am

What sucks about the premium is that Pandas are so often counterfeited. I think it is a coin that should be bought from reputable dealers, since the fakes are so abundant. Also, post-2010 Pandas have been minted in much higher numbers, so a $14 premium is unlikely to hold, IMO.
"Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore."
RTPMarine
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:04 am

I actually got hit with a fake a few years ago on ebay. I was new to buying bullion and thought I was getting a great deal. Lesson learned. Even with the big premium, I'll probably try to get one or two a year, just to have them. But I will definitely be buying them from a reputable dealer.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jacer333 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:40 am

Yes, easily worth a couple extra bucks for the peace of mind that you are getting a legit coin.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Heartkill » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:32 pm

It's unreal what the markup is for MS70 ones. I sold a few and more than doubled my money.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals