Killer deal on the bay. Even had to put it up here.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Killer deal on the bay. Even had to put it up here.

Postby misteroman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:42 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... true&rt=nc

Had the guy end it early and received it sat afternoon. I took a stab at it because it was worded so poorly, I couldn't understand it and hoped other people couldn't either.
looks like I was right. Heres some of the highlights of what it contained:
52 morgan dollars. said 50 but had 52. If you look in the pic there are dates written on a sheet of Notebook paper. What caught my eye was the 04 S. There was also a nice 03 s as well in there as well as some smaller dates. All VF and better except 3.
Also the most perfectly toned morgan I have even seen. An absolutely stunning blue/copper color that is very uniform and seems to flip flop each other. Going on Ebay for sure.
1917 large $1 bill in very nice shape with very little wear. no pencil marks.
58 proof set, along with a 68,69, and 70.
Indian head album from 90-09
09-40 wheat book with some semi keys. Best was a F 22D
2 sets of 38-? jeff nicks
buff nick book half full w/ many teens.
a mint 1964 blue book along with a 72 and one other yr.
A bunch of misc silver. ASE, 1oz,etc
The unsearched wheats were pretty decent with a bunch of 2-3 one. Best was a 13-D.
All in all the best deal I've gotten on ebay before and just thought I'd share
D
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Killer deal on the bay. Even had to put it up here.

Postby Thogey » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51 pm

That's the price you pay for being illiterate.

Good grief! Poorly worded? I think these kids are learning to compose by texting on the 'sail foam'.

Nice grab, looking forward to pictures the toned one. 1904s is a good coin.

How did you negotiate an early termination?
Last edited by Thogey on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby fb101 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Those are good looking Morgans to be for that price.
Overall a great deal.
fb101

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:15 pm

The "I'm in desperate need of cash" probably didn't help his negotiating power...

Great haul!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby cuag » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:22 pm

If you look at his feedback, he's sold numerous pricey coin lots in the past, including gold. I wonder if those were his grandfather's as well. Coins and car parts seem to be his bread & butter. Hope they didn't "fall off the back of a truck" since he's from Jersey. Maybe Snooki or The Situation are dabbling in numismatics. Good find.
cuag

Postby scyther » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:03 am

"I had found my grandfathers stash"

Doesn't say anything about him being dead. The poor old man's probably having all his retirement coins gradually stolen by his illiterate grandchild.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Chaboo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:53 am

From the auction pix, you could read that sheet of paper that had 1904 S?! Wow, I need a better monitor. :) Great haul.
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby marblerye » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:06 am

I find it ironic his username is "richdawg69" and yet he's in "desperate need of cash to help with bills..."

Seems to be representative of our society today, all the wealth that people flash around is nothing more than a mirage financed with never-ending debt enslavement.

Nice score though man. Survival of the fittest.
marblerye

Postby PeacePeople » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:23 pm

I must be missing the cool part of this story...
PeacePeople
Penny Pincher Member

Postby silversaddle1 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:38 pm

I must be missing it as well. So let's sum it up. You screwed all the other e-bay members, broke e-bay rules, and took advantage of someone. Yeah, great score.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby PeacePeople » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:31 pm

silversaddle1 wrote:I must be missing it as well. So let's sum it up. You screwed all the other e-bay members, broke e-bay rules, and took advantage of someone. Yeah, great score.

and this too
Last edited by PeacePeople on Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeacePeople
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Screwed other ebay members??? Took advantage of someone "needing quick cash" ??? Silly comments In my opinion. Yes it is against Ebay policy but I've never been to keen on taking up offense in Ebay's Defense. How do people make money in this world anyways, by buying high and selling low of course??...... Geesh and anyways it wasn't like Misteroman had these in hand and extrememly lowballed the guy...He took a chance that it was a good deal and rolled the dice. Nice pickup there Derek and congrats. The guy saved on Ebay fees and Derek got a good deal.. Only party that was screwed was Ebay so a valid point there I imagine
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silversaddle1 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Yes, he took advantage of the guy. Said so right in the post. "Poorly worded"?? And he did screw the other buyers out of a fair chance to bid on the auction. He knows he took advantage of the guy, otherwise, he would not have asked the guy to end the auction early. The only reason you do that is so no one has a chance to bid against you, so you can buy it cheap. He knows damn well the lot would have brought more money had the auction ran.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Really interesting conversation here.

Question for all who think misteroman ripped off the seller:

How would you have handled the deal?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby misteroman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Wow this went south really fast. I don't think the guy ripped off his grandpa. He even threw in 2 extra morgans and a AU 55 Vdb cent and a little note taped on it saying "I thought you might enjoy this too" Seemed like a classy move and not one from a guy who would rob his relatives.
By saying I "took advantage" of him would mean I ripped him off in some way by misleading him or lied to him or so something along those lines. I offered to buy them from him, we agreed upon a price and I sent him a PP check.
For you to call me out as I took advantage of him, is outright wrong. Now you may not like how I did it, which I still can't see why you're riled up about it but Use your brain before you start spewing stuff out of your mouth that is totally incorrect.
misteroman

Postby misteroman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:38 pm

PeacePeople wrote:I must be missing the cool part of this story...

And who said it was a "cool" story anyways?
misteroman

Postby Chief » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:41 pm

misteroman wrote:Wow this went south really fast. I don't think the guy ripped off his grandpa. He even threw in 2 extra morgans and a AU 55 Vdb cent and a little note taped on it saying "I thought you might enjoy this too" Seemed like a classy move and not one from a guy who would rob his relatives.
By saying I "took advantage" of him would mean I ripped him off in some way by misleading him or lied to him or so something along those lines. I offered to buy them from him, we agreed upon a price and I sent him a PP check.
For you to call me out as I took advantage of him, is outright wrong. Now you may not like how I did it, which I still can't see why you're riled up about it but Use your brain before you start spewing stuff out of your mouth that is totally incorrect.

+1 Good deal, nothing wrong about it, in my opinion. Wish I could find someone on ebay is need my cash with coins at good prices. :)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PeacePeople » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:50 pm

misteroman wrote:
PeacePeople wrote:I must be missing the cool part of this story...

And who said it was a "cool" story anyways?

Nobody, just think the title has the first 2 words misplaced in it.
PeacePeople
Penny Pincher Member

Postby OtusLotus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:27 am

I don't think he cheated anyone...

Although, I don't think it was fair to persuade the guy to end the auction early..

But then again, life aint fair!

There are far too many sellers on ebay that manipulate/ jack up the bid price and the # of bidders..

So, if it made sense to the guy to end the auction early to save almost $200 in ebay fees, then everybody was a winner.. except for the people that decided to snooze on the auction.

I would bet that if there was another bidder on the auction b4 misteroman chatted with the seller, he wouldn't have ended it early.

Anyway, another story where the educated/wealthy/quick-thinking are taking advantage of the system!

BTW.. NJ is a great place to live! (Snooki & the Situation are from NY)
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby InfleXion » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:01 pm

At the end of the day the seller made a decision and was not coerced into doing so. He could have said no. It was a shrewd move though and for someone who was desperate for money to settle for less than what they should have gotten I kinda feel bad for the guy.. but that's his own fault for not doing his due diligence.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby goodcents » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Take a deep breathe.....

Misteroman did exactly what any businessman would have done. I have seen one of a kind items on ebay in the past (this was a rare clock in my case) and I simply asked the buyer if they had a buy it now price in mind and this was before any bids had been placed. He said what are you offering. I stated an amount I thought was fair and he took it and we did it outside of ebay.

Against ebay policy yes. Just like driving 71mph in a 70mph is against the law but I'm sure most on this forum have done that when running late or just because they have a lead foot.

In life I've found if you have a question ask it. Misteroman has probably lost out on 10 times the amount of good deals because he was the 2nd guy there. Who gets the best deals at a garage sale or at an estate sale. Either the guy who gets there the night before and strikes up a conversation with the people setting up, or got to the estate sale an hour early.

I'm not here to condone breaking the law or the rules but if the guy didn't have any bidders yet I would have done the same exact thing.

Successful business people are the one's not afraid to ask the questions, make the offer, and ask if something is for sale. The gentleman had every chance in the world to keep the auction going. Misteroman didn't have a gun to his head.

You paid the guy a fair price Derek. Way to make the deal!

Joe
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:44 pm

There is nothing morally wrong with breaking arbitrary Ebay policies. It doesn't cheat other Ebay users because it is a privilege, not a right, to bid on someone's Ebay auction.

There is also nothing wrong with buying something at a discount when the seller is in need of fast cash - that's how markets work sometimes, like going out of business sales, moving sales, margin calls, foreclosure sales, etc. So long as you are not intentionally cheating an ignorant person it's fine, and in this case the seller had sufficient knowledge about coins to start the auction at $1900, so while he may not be a numismatist, the seller wasn't grossly ignorant of coin values and made a conscious decision to sell at a discount in exchange for fast money.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby scyther » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:39 pm

I agree he didn't do anything wrong to the seller or other potential bidders. The seller wanted to sell at that price, so that's fine. Other people lost an opportunity to bid on it, but it's not like they put any money into it or lost anything. Although he did kind of take advantage of ebay... but I certainly can't blame him.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:09 pm

Anyone who ends an auction early on ebay is foolish. I haven't messed with ebay much in the past year,but every single item I've had early end offers on,Ive politely declined,and have always ended up with way more.Its always really good stuff that early end offers come in on. Obviously this guy needed money fast so he took the offer.Bully for you.Looks like it might not be a good idea to post a thread declaring you've ended an auction early!
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby deacon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:13 pm

It sounds like both parties came out happy. misteroman got a good deal, and the seller got cash fast. Sure the seller traded potentially more money for speed, but it was the seller's choice.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals