Some helpfull advice

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Some helpfull advice

Postby coppers4me » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:57 am

Resently I came into some investment money,i would like to ask you guys what to do with it.Now i have been reading that silver is going to top the $150per/oz mark but I don't have the kind of money to invest in the pounds i would like to have,Question is would it be better to buy all the silver I can or hoard more coppers add to the couple hundred pounds i have now? any thoughts are welcome Thanks.
coppers4me

Re: Some helpfull advice

Postby theo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:52 pm

I'd focus mostly on silver, especially if you can get close to the current spot price. Although there some downside risk with silver ($20 - $22) it is perhaps more likely than silver challenges $40 by year-end. A box unsorted pennies will cost $25 for the forseeable future. I wouldn't spend any more than 10% on copper.

Also, your plan moving forward should depend on what you already have. For example, if you already a decent stash of silver, then you might consider adding a few gold coins to the mix. Gold may not be appear to be the bargain that silver, but it is at a nice entry point.

Good luck
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:37 pm

coppers4me wrote: i have been reading that silver is going to top the $150per/oz mark

And Jesus is coming back. On Jesus and silver no one knows the day are the hour when. It may be in are lifetime.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby My2Cents » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Being diversified is always a good bet. While one metal may outperform another, you can cover some of the losses on one (if that happens) by the other appreciating metals.
Find the metals you want to hold and formulate a hoarding ratio. For example....
I buy 1oz of gold for every 50 oz of silver.

Some pros say that silver could top $150-$250 per ounce... but as long as the price is manipulated to the low level it is now, take advantage of it. I think that gold is undervalued by about $3,000 an ounce... but what do I know?

You could further the ratio by adding copper cents to your hoard at a following ratio.... 50 oz silver = 200 lbs of copper. However you want to do it. Mix some pure nickels into the mix if you want that too. Formulate a plan, and buy sporadically as the price of spot fluctuates to average your buying price.

Doing something is better than doing nothing. I'd rather have physical assets than paper sitting in the bank.

Best of luck to you
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Bluegill » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Another option to consider. Paying off interest accruing debt. Usury is negative income...

Or a combination of paying off debt and PM acquisition.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:35 pm

Paying off debt, putting some cash away for emergencies, storing some essential items for disaster are all first priorities.

Also, Do you own your own house? Will you be moving? A large hoard of copper could take a lot of effort to move. Silver and gold are more easy to carry.

The idea to invest in gold is a good one as well. I don't do it, because I don't have the funds. Some here on the forum trade the two metals back and forth based on the silver to gold ratio. As they trade, the # of oz that they are holding increases.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby GGerrands » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:21 am

I know it's perhaps the wrong venue to voice this, but you can invest in silver as a commodity without actually buying the physical metal.
It's fun to have the metal, but it also cuts into your profit. And poses a risk of loss due to theft, etc.
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Postby coppers4me » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:18 pm

thanks for all the good advice guys ,The fact is I am paying for my house,but Have no credit card debt so I can PLAY with all Kinds of metal and have been buying some of all ,Just needed some incouragment to buy silver or gold or copper. I still Think gold is to high but may add to the mix.Maybe 1 oz to 50 oz silver.Anyway thanks again guys!
coppers4me

Postby exbingoaddict » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:57 pm

It’s a hard question to answer without knowing your financial situation and your objectives. Those are the blanks you need to fill in first.

Believe you mentioned you no high interest debt. That’s a great start. You want rid of that first and foremost. Next step is always having cash (on hand and in banks) to ride out future storms. How long could you pay the bills without an income, 3 months is nice, 6 months is good. Or what if you have to plunk down for a big expense? A car transmission will go bad when it may hurt you the most.

Next, what do you have asset wise on your ledger? You don’t want to be too overloaded in one area. Then, what is your objective? Do you want to short term trade on silver or gold or do you want to buy and forgot about it? What is your exit plan or do you just plan to hoard?

Also, never limit your options. There’s nothing wrong with equity (stock), real estate, and other investments. They are not popular topics with all real cents but there is more to wealth then metal. Always, always, always do your homework. And don’t think you have to buy (or sell) all at once.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing