Sell or Melt

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sell or Melt

Postby RD5 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:55 pm

I'm contemplating on whether my coins are worth selling or melting. Basically, are they worth more than the silver in them? What I have is 90% kennedys in better condition, and a 1921 morgan in ok, almost good condition. Are they worth more than the silver in them? Thanks rd5
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Re: Sell or Melt

Postby barrytrot » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:01 pm

If you have to pay someone else to melt them you are definitely better off with them in "coin form".

If you can do it yourself, you can actually make a profit, including a bit for your time. Especially if you do a nice job as there are many here that will pick up a round or bar or two from "local realcent" people and pay ASE premiums or more in many cases!
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby RD5 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:04 pm

I'm thinking of trading to scrapman for his silver rounds
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Postby deacon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:09 pm

I use Numismedia and the red book to determine the value of coins. If they have any numi value, I put them in 2x2s. If not, I put them in a coin folder. Further duplicates and non numi coins go in rolls.

Melted 90% coins and bullion would be cool. Sounds like an easy way to get rid of culls. I would keep the 90%ers, but I like collecting them the most.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby scrapman1077 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:21 pm

RD5, Ready when you are for a trade !
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:53 pm

If those are the coins I think they are. You can do better than melt.

Your Morgan is VF+

'Almost good' is a real beater! You don't see too many AG 21 morgans. unless they've been run through Las Vegas Slot Machines.

Post pictures and ask the board's opinion.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby RD5 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:56 pm

Yeah, my grading skills are a bit off (ok really off). I've decided not to melt, and to trade, or sell.
Coin Master Flex
RD5
Penny Collector Member

Postby Robarons » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:14 am

90% is coin form is an acceptable form of investment silver that doesnt have to be refined into 999 Silver and is backed by the US Govt in terms of purity and weight.

Unless its really beat up, holed, worn, etc in some form to take silver away there really isnt no need to do anything to 90%.

The costs of melt/assay/refine silver is crazy unless you got a whole bunch of it. If you want 999 silver just sell the 90% and use proceeds to buy .999 or a trade of some sort
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby $nack-Money » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:28 am

Well, Obamacare was just announced as upheld by the supreme court... I suggest holding on to them for a while before selling. The country will be trashed even further now, but your silver should benefit nicely.
$nack-Money
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:54 pm

$nack-Money wrote:Well, Obamacare was just announced as upheld by the supreme court... I suggest holding on to them for a while before selling. The country will be trashed even further now, but your silver should benefit nicely.

+1

Obamacare = inflation
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:51 pm

Obamacare does not necessarily breed inflation. Higher taxation can stagnate the economy. Velocity of money needs to pick up before inflation is going to kick in. If Obama keeps trashing the economy, it could mean deflation. Regardless of any of that, HOLD HIDE your PM's long term and you should end up happy.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:26 pm

NHsorter wrote:Obamacare does not necessarily breed inflation. Higher taxation can stagnate the economy. Velocity of money needs to pick up before inflation is going to kick in. If Obama keeps trashing the economy, it could mean deflation. Regardless of any of that, HOLD HIDE your PM's long term and you should end up happy.

I realize it won't increase the money supply, but the forced commerce will increase supply of money in the healthcare sector (more dollars chasing the same goods is bound to lead to price inflation). How much of that will be offset by deflation in other areas of the economy is anybody's guess.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Engineer wrote:
NHsorter wrote:Obamacare does not necessarily breed inflation. Higher taxation can stagnate the economy. Velocity of money needs to pick up before inflation is going to kick in. If Obama keeps trashing the economy, it could mean deflation. Regardless of any of that, HOLD HIDE your PM's long term and you should end up happy.

I realize it won't increase the money supply, but the forced commerce will increase supply of money in the healthcare sector (more dollars chasing the same goods is bound to lead to price inflation). How much of that will be offset by deflation in other areas of the economy is anybody's guess.

I see your point about the uptick in the healthcare sector, but I also fear a jump in unemployment and a drop in disposable income due to this forced spending. This is forced spending by the "middle class" that does not really have any savings/net worth now anyway so any insurance they have to buy is just less goods that they can buy. Taxes to the rich keep going up and guess what, the money leaves for greener pastures. There is no way to know for sure, there are so many factors. But that is my take.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RTPMarine » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:21 pm

The only thing I would ever melt is generic bullion which carries no premium, and junk silver that is worn beyond recognition. Morgans should absolutely never be melted unless they are completely flat.
"Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore."
RTPMarine
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals