Blinded by the shiny......

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Blinded by the shiny......

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:21 pm

So at a local auction recently, I made a boo boo. Have a look at the pic and guess what it was.
Attachments
1 gram credit zurich.jpg
1 gram credit zurich.jpg (48.86 KiB) Viewed 781 times
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Re: Blinded by the shiny......

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:27 pm

This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:27 pm

Next question
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:10K

:cry:

Stupid! I've been doing this long enough not to get clipped.

Lol, fortunately the LCS owner was there, I ran him to $230 for the .5 gram one thinking it was 5 gram...... glad I didn't win that.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Next question

Well, you weren't supposed to be the first to answer so.......

If you pour 200 lineal foot of concrete sidewalk, 4 inches thick, 4 foot wide, how many cubic yards of concrete should you use?
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:32 pm

How much you want for it :D
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:36 pm

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Next question
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:40 pm

NHsorter wrote:9.876

Good to see us with the same answer.

Answering second, :oops: thats what I get for enjoying the Adam Young thread. :lol:
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Engineer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:41 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:If you pour 200 lineal foot of concrete sidewalk, 4 inches thick, 4 foot wide, how many cubic yards of concrete should you use?

That depends. Are you actually going to pour 4 inches, or use 2x4 forms and pour 3.5 inches?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Engineer wrote:
OneBiteAtATime wrote:If you pour 200 lineal foot of concrete sidewalk, 4 inches thick, 4 foot wide, how many cubic yards of concrete should you use?

That depends. Are you actually going to pour 4 inches, or use 2x4 forms and pour 3.5 inches?

Well thats a good point......better only order.....8.4619 yards ;)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:44 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:9.8765432

Next question

Nice! and you too NHSorter....

Hmmmmm.........

What is garbology?
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Rebar ........
TXBullion

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:55 pm

Engineer wrote:

TXBullion wrote:
Rebar ........

Nerds.

4" concrete better be 4". Rebar in sidewalk? :? C'mon. :lol:
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:03 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Nerds.

4" concrete better be 4". Rebar in sidewalk? :? C'mon. :lol:

Who else would you find on a coin forum?

When concrete guys tell you 4", more often than not you'll get 3.5"

I agree on no need for rebar in sidewalk, but its a good idea to specify a minimum fiber length of an inch and a half. Your concrete will also turn out 20% stronger if you cover it with a tarp and keep the surface moist for a week after it sets.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:55 pm

Engineer wrote:When concrete guys tell you 4", more often than not you'll get 3.5"

TWSS :lol: :roll:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:38 am

Empty beer bottles are great filler to save concrete. Naturally, mixing all that concrete generates lots of empty bottles. When mixing remember not to get it too wet. You want to get it just wet enough. We are too cheap for tarps. just cover it well with the empty cement bags set up a sprinkler to come on once or twice today. No textbooks here just rednecks. :)
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:40 am

Yeah you got to keep an eye on those concrete guy just like pavers and pawn shop owners
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:07 am

RichardPenny43 wrote:
Engineer wrote:When concrete guys tell you 4", more often than not you'll get 3.5"

TWSS :lol: :roll:

:lol: Now why didn't I see that one coming....
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby scrapman1077 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:10 am

"What is garbology?"

The study of what you find in a land fill,
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OtusLotus » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:50 pm

I may be clueless, but why is it 10k.. I thought that fine gold would be .999?
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:16 am

The pendant is clearly marked 4166 which is a hallmark for 10k (10k/24K = 41.66% pure), however it also states "10 grams fine gold" which I assume means that the pendant weighs 24 grams total and contains 10 grams of AGW. Is this the case?

Note the world-famous Krugerrand for example. It states "1 oz fine gold" on the reverse, but the coin is actually 22k. Its gross weight is 33.93 grams, so there is exactly one troy ounce of fine gold AGW.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:25 am

Nickelmeister wrote:The pendant is clearly marked 4166 which is a hallmark for 10k (10k/24K = 41.66% pure), however it also states "10 grams fine gold" which I assume means that the pendant weighs 24 grams total and contains 10 grams of AGW. Is this the case?

Note the world-famous Krugerrand for example. It states "1 oz fine gold" on the reverse, but the coin is actually 22k. Its gross weight is 33.93 grams, so there is exactly one troy ounce of fine gold AGW.

Ah - thanks for providing the clarity I needed. That pulls it together into something that makes sense!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:21 am

I think it is only 1.0 (one) gram, even though the bar says grams. Who is credit Zurich? Is that like discount Credit Suisse?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:11 pm

Nickelmeister wrote:The pendant is clearly marked 4166 which is a hallmark for 10k (10k/24K = 41.66% pure), however it also states "10 grams fine gold" which I assume means that the pendant weighs 24 grams total and contains 10 grams of AGW. Is this the case?

Didn't think of that. I'll pop it on the scale when I get home.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals