What are you guys buying your junk silver at?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What are you guys buying your junk silver at?

Postby TXBullion » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:28 pm

Just wondering if you are buying and if so, what you are paying on junk silver?

Are you paying 20x face 21x? FInding it below?
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What are you guys buying your junk silver at?

Postby Thogey » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm begging for it at 19X, and it makes me sick!
Last edited by Thogey on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Silver69 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:27 pm

20x face, but getting hard to find
Silver69

Postby rainsonme » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:28 am

At the 2 coin shows I attended in the past 2 months I was able to find junk silver at under melt. Consider going to a coin show, and sifting through the 1/2 off box and other junk bins. Also, if you were willing to buy $50 face, you could have gotten bags with some very interesting mixes of junk for under melt. I wasn't willing to put out that much money for one small bag, but I think those were very good deals.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aristobolus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:11 am

I agree; coin shows and stores are the place to go. Some of the stores do not have the time or desire to keep changing the price on their coins. I scored Bahamas and Canadian Silver at 20% below melt last week.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:29 am

I picked up about 75 lots of three Walkers, three Franklins, etc from the same seller last week on ebay. Got one of those $2.50 for first item, save $1 for each additional (and I talked him down to save $1.50 for each additional). When you can find multiple listings from the same seller you can put floor bids in just a bit higher than someone bidding on a single item would be likely to pay (knowing you're going to get a discount). I only lost on about 40 bids doing so and the aggregate costs were about 18.2x face for half dollars. But it was a helluva lot of work calculating bids for 115 listings. :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Investin Cents » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:34 am

20% as of yesterday at 12 noon local. Nice small dealer - not a price-gouger. Wish more were like him.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JFK - 1962

Current book: American Values - RFK Jr.; Favorite website (other than Realcent): Zerohedge.com; Favorite metals in order: Ag, Au, Pt, CuZn, CuZnSn, Cu, Ni, Al, CuNi and of course Pb encased in Cu [in various forms and sizes :)]
Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:07 am

beauanderos wrote:I picked up about 75 lots of three Walkers, three Franklins, etc from the same seller last week on ebay. Got one of those $2.50 for first item, save $1 for each additional (and I talked him down to save $1.50 for each additional). When you can find multiple listings from the same seller you can put floor bids in just a bit higher than someone bidding on a single item would be likely to pay (knowing you're going to get a discount). I only lost on about 40 bids doing so and the aggregate costs were about 18.2x face for half dollars. But it was a helluva lot of work calculating bids for 115 listings. :?

Definitely can get success with this strategy. The combined shipping can really make a difference on your purchases.
TXBullion

Postby justoneguy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:15 am

Just paid 8x for 40%
21 x for peace dollars
I think i got a great deal on both
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:06 pm

Purchased Dimes for 18.85 last week end at coin show and $20.00 for Morgans worn but not slicks :D

Check Pawn shops picked up a Canadian $1 1961 for $2.00 under melt :)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Coppercrazy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Check out those chain pawn shops- might be to late now,but when silver blew past 25 I went in a few and got a few underpriced 40% halfs and a couple 90% quarters. ALso-at the last local coin show,when silver was about 27.50,I scored 60 war nickels for $55 from an old dealer who must not be keeping up with what they bring online! as for 20 and 21xface..I havent been able to go there yet,but maybe sometime soon ill be wishing I could buy at 20x!
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby blatant » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:04 pm

i'm selling mine, silver is too volatile and takes up too much space. Gold is where it's at imo, has always been. Dealers are paying 19.5x. Figured Silver is a vehicle to gold and at ratio 47, may as well move along. I've just been selling it to the dealers b/c they are pretty high on the buy and it cuts out the hassles with CL and the forums. I have listed some for melt, which is a steal to anyone that knows what's up when buying.

I only buy when i fumble onto a deal. Other than that, I don't bother with it. Junk is great imo if you get it uncirculated and pretty.
blatant

Postby theo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:03 pm

silver is too volatile and takes up too much space.

I understand your volatility arguement, however I consider myself a long term holder so short term volatility doesn't concern me. As for your second arguement; my goal is to have enough silver where I complain about how much space it takes up. ;) Having said that, exchanging silver for gold has its logic, especially after the recent run up. Just be sure to keep a core holding in Ag.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:49 pm

buying at 19 and less anytime I can, and selling at 20 and more.....if and when I sell,
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby appjoe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:52 pm

theo wrote:silver is too volatile and takes up too much space.

I understand your volatility arguement, however I consider myself a long term holder so short term volatility doesn't concern me. As for your second arguement; my goal is to have enough silver where I complain about how much space it takes up. ;) Having said that, exchanging silver for gold has its logic, especially after the recent run up. Just be sure to keep a core holding in Ag.

I agree with you Theo I'm in for the long run too. If the long run is longer than I have then my kids will have it. As long I don't have to feed or clothe the silver then I can always find space for it.

I have been finding silver for $18.00 on the dollar now thats for Barbers up to Kennedy's, dimes,quarters,halves. The morgans and peace dollars I have been paying $20-$22. now that's for VF-EF. This past sunday he also had 3- 1964 mint sets the coins didn't all look mint but there was .85 cents silver in each. I paid $12.00 each for them. The Guy I have been getting it off of is going away now until after the 1st so I'll have to see what happens when he gets back.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:57 pm

I have an ad on CL paying 18X and $20 for $1's. Get about 1 hit a week
misteroman

Postby Nickelless » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:18 am

This guy is selling junk silver by weight instead of by face value. I'm guessing he's just got a bunch of Merc slicks:

http://myworld.ebay.com/gti2/
Nickelless

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals