What is a fair premium to pay over spot ??

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What is a fair premium to pay over spot ??

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:37 am

What is a fair premium to pay over spot for A-Mark 1oz rounds? BU, and still in the monster box tubes, unopened?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: What is a fair premium to pay over spot ??

Postby barrytrot » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:38 am

tulving.com

This will show you basically the "best" premium. A wee bit over that and you are still safe.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ScottyTX » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:03 pm

Fair?? Humm Tulving and others are actually buying these under spot so.... I would think spot would be fair on the far end of the spectrum. If your feeling generous +.65 an under would still be a decent buy depending on the quantity. Tulving buy price is -.20 under and its sell price is .59 over so I would think any thing in between would be "fair" IMHO.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:07 pm

I think Barry was suggesting Tulving's sell price, not their buy price.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ScottyTX » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:45 pm

Nickelmeister wrote:I think Barry was suggesting Tulving's sell price, not their buy price.

Yes indeed, I was merely suggesting what I thought was fair...
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rastatodd » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:42 am

I often offer melt plus 10%. Which I think is fair, for things like ASE and other high end .999. But every one likes the art of the haggle. Just one mans opinion. ;)
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:04 am

Tulving has a fairly high minimum purchase. Comparing a 500 oz buy to a 20 oz, or less, buy is not really equivalent. Seems like $1.00 over spot would be a good deal, for small lots of .999 rounds.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby DebtFreeMe » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:48 pm

With "Fair" being a subjective value, what ever price you both agree to is the "Fair" price, on the other hand Tulving will show you the accepted "Market" price. They can be very different amounts.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby ScottyTX » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:54 pm

I guess one could look at it from two different perspectives. When I buy from the public, I will generally look at the best prices one could get from a local dealer or selling it online to a dealer.... This does not apply to family members and close friends.... I then offer a bit above that in most cases.

On the other end one could say well I'm in the market to buy rounds whats the best price I could get from a dealer when buying 20 rounds.... You just turned the seller into a dealer that has overhead, the knowledge, resources to buy in large amounts to resale, contacts for buying and reselling, Pays shipping at least to the shop one way, and an established market in whitch to resell in. That's fine for me if I'm doing someone a favor, I will go out of my way and do this for them. I will not do this for the average Joe. Established rates for the dealers/the informed widly varies from prices realized from the average Joe.
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby amalekidad » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm

And Scotty should know - he is know around these parts as something of a wild man. I mean, just look at his icon....
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby SoFa » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:21 pm

They usually sell fresh 1oz bars for $1.00 to $1.50 over at the local coin shows. I assume rounds have the same markup.
Maple Leafs and Philharmonics go for $2.50. About half that for a non-govt round seems fair.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugi » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:38 pm

i buy my bullion face to face only. I usually pay $1.00-$2.50 over spot, but I get American Eagles, Maple Leafs, or NORFED Liberty Dollars for that, which is about all I buy.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals