Garage Sale Score

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Garage Sale Score

Postby OtusLotus » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:14 pm

So I went to my only garage sale of the week..

Ask my normal questions.. any brass? cast iron? jewelry? silver? No, No, No, No were the replies...

But then, hold on.. I have a box that you might want to search thru... I like searching was my reply!!! :lol:

I started looking thru the box, and everything, I mean EVERYTHING was marked sterling! I asked the girl if I could weigh it on her scale (the one she told me she used to sell everything to a jeweler previously) , just to be fair!

She said just make me a fair offer! Well... I told the girl that I would buy everything in the box for everything I had in my wallet... $173....She said.. OK!

Over 5 lbs of sterling silver, and $1.55 in 90% coins! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Attachments
Silver Baby!.JPG
Silver Baby!.JPG (126.79 KiB) Viewed 486 times
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Garage Sale Score

Postby frugi » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:17 pm

keep it all!!!!!
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:19 pm

however, if you are going to scrap any of it, I would like that ladle or collapsible cup
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby deacon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:22 pm

:o

I love these posts. Great find. Maybe one day I will be as lucky as you at garage sales. So far my hunts have been marginally profitable. Any silver sets I find are plated. I'm still hoping for the great white buffalo. Sterling Silver flatware... at 20% of melt.

Got some tokens over the weekend. I don't collect them, so maybe they will go on KSA.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Bully!

Be careful. Some of that stuff might be worth a lot more than melt.

Effin BULLY!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby deacon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:26 pm

What are those little cups next to the oval tray? Shot glasses? Shooters?
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Spectacular!
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OtusLotus » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:47 pm

They are 8 mini shot glasses? Each one holds a little more than 1 tablespoon.

The coolest thing in the collection is the half circle thing next to the ladle...the girl told me that it is for cigarettes, you spin the knob and the cigarettes go on one side and the box of matches goes on the other.

I also got about 3 lbs of german silver, nickel silver, and silver plate! any ideas?
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:34 am

OtusLotus wrote:.

I also got about 3 lbs of german silver, nickel silver, and silver plate! any ideas?

Give them to a thrift shop that sells jewelry an help them put fair price as they are not Silver but still nice to have . Or how about a local theater group for their productions Classy Stuff for them & they might give you a pair of tickets 8-)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:41 am

OtusLotus wrote:So I went to my only garage sale of the week..

Ask my normal questions.. any brass? cast iron? jewelry? silver? No, No, No, No were the replies...

But then, hold on.. I have a box that you might want to search thru... I like searching was my reply!!! :lol:

I started looking thru the box, and everything, I mean EVERYTHING was marked sterling! I asked the girl if I could weigh it on her scale (the one she told me she used to sell everything to a jeweler previously) , just to be fair!

She said just make me a fair offer! Well... I told the girl that I would buy everything in the box for everything I had in my wallet... $173....She said.. OK!

Over 5 lbs of sterling silver, and $1.55 in 90% coins! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Otus, you look pleased....maniacally so.....nice score, btw, and i only know that coz i just looked up "sterling silver".....what IT is.

as i've written, i've stuck with pre-65 US coinage and silver for stacking, along with the half 40's and Ike 40's, rounded out with Eagles tubes....just keep it simple....and i never understood, "sterling silver". ....and if i dont understand something, i cant ascertain price discovery.

here's the question, and i THINK, i might know the answer, when a guy buys sterling silver, is the objective to A. sell it as "scrap" to a smelter?...or B. smelt himself, which seems something one must have both the equipment and knowledge to seperate the non silver metals?

not to pry, but you said thats 5 lbs of sterling silver, and those pounds are troy?, which would make it 60 troy ounces of ss, right, 31 gms to the toz, of 92.50 silver content...........whats that trade at roughly?...or is there a website that provides a bid/ask quote?

last question, from that picture, those implements, thats some beautiful ART, and this is just me, but with coins, even the GEM BU's i can be coldhearted, sure i appreciate the fine mints, designs, but i dont take them out and gaze in appreciation, but what you have pictured, some of it is beautiful, and i would be so loathe to sell it to a smelter....do you ever get a twinge of regret selling such?....i dont know if i could do it....guess thats why i stay away from sterling.

sorry for all the questions...i been stacking good, and now i'm wandering....looked at your picture, and i been looking at roman silver denarius's.....which is the same thing...its art AND archaelogy, which is a whole lot different than being in the mind of stacking HARD CURRENCY for trade post dollar FRN's..........thanks bud, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:55 am

Nice pick-up there man. You keep throwing me off though using that word "fair"....... So you weighed it first to be fair... and then she asked you to make a fair offer and 173.00 was what you came up with, nice!! I'm laughing as it doesn't really bother me too much but I would have left that part out of the story to make it more friendly :) I myself have scored somwhere along the same lines in the past but it was completely unintentional.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Saabman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:19 am

Sweet score!!! WTG!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Oakair » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:09 am

Awesome!
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OtusLotus » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Just to answer a few of the previous questions....

The total weight is in lbs, not troy pounds. It would weigh approximately 6 troy pounds.

Regarding "Fair"....When I went to make an offer on the silver, the girl said that she had a scale, and I offered to make an offer based on the weight of the items. I can get approx $0.70/gr so I would have offered her something like .30-.40/gr. (my intention is always to try and double my money). Anyway, she said no, just make me an offer.

As for all of the people that sent me PMs.. I think for now, I would like to hold on to them, to enjoy them and use them as inspiration for me to keep searching! However, if and when I do decide to part with them, I will reply to the PMs.

Hope everyone had a Great 4th!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Grinning like an opossum. Bully indeed...... Nice score Sir. :)

As always, True homeruns are few and far between......savor the moment.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby dakota1955 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:09 pm

great find
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals