Metal Detecting Official 2011 Tracking Thread

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Metal Detecting Finds

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:52 pm

So here is what I am thinking:

Clues from the ring:
School - Summersville Junior High
Date - 1999
Initials - E A J

Things to think about:
This girl was in junior high in 1999. She probably graduated high school from Nicholas county High between 2003-2004. I have a cousin that graduated in that time range. I will call him and see if the initials ring a bell.

I will keep everyone posted.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:26 pm

You need a yearbook! Check the library.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Juinor high school ring? Wow must have had cash... Didn't know they did this...
hobo finds

Postby Thogey » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:55 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:You need a yearbook! Check the library.

Run an internet search. you will get real close, real quick..
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:28 pm

Facebook...too!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:15 am

TJCF .....what about the gold earring! Isn't it awesome.

Man I feel like I have found an untouched area. Going back today! Plan to spend 3-5 hours hunting.

I didn’t have much luck with my cousin ……so I am going to call my aunt (his mom). She works as counselor at the high school. She may be able to figure it out. I am going to try and do this the old fashion detective way with books and people. I will resort to computers when/if I come up with nothing.

Gumshoe Rodebaugh……fighting tooth decay and solving mysteries
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:32 pm

MD the area again...yep thats 3 days in a row for the same area. :shock:

52 pennies 16 were copper ;)
9 nickels
11 dimes
7 quarters

$3.82 in Change total.

A small (0.8grams) stud earring marked 925 .......just inches from where I dug the gold yesterday.

Thats right 3 trips in a row where each gave up either gold or silver :D
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:39 pm

Man I'm so jealous. Glad to hear you're finding your way with the Ace. I only had 4 hunts with gold(none) and silver in three months. You're killing me! Are you having fun?
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:25 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Man I'm so jealous. Glad to hear you're finding your way with the Ace. I only had 4 hunts with gold(none) and silver in three months. You're killing me! Are you having fun?

Yes I am. I have a list of 10 places that I think may hold some great stuff.

As for killing you....no way! You are the king of clad. What you unearth in an hour is more than I find in a 6hr hunt.

I am going to hit my "spot" one more time with the sensitivity cranked all the way up. There is a ton of silt there and my thinking is some of the more dense targets (gold) are going to be deep. I also picked up a plastic garden spade from Lowes today for $1.07. Man that thing is awasome. Best $1.07 I have spent in a long time!

BTW....the gold earring was ID"ED as foil :shock: prob because it was so thin
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Don't bypass any of those nickel signals either. I know it will start to suck after digging tons of pull tabs but most of the bigger(mens) gold rings were IDing as a nickel. I saved all the pull tabs, too. I just throw them in my aluminum cans here at the house that I save for scrap. I started to fill a gallon freezer bag that I had been using for my dirty clad finds. I ended up filling that up to where it wouldn't close with pull tabs! We got a little ice on some smaller bodies of water near me but it's looking like rain tomorrow and at the Bears game today it was a balmy 44 degrees. I'll get out a couple of hours this week!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:16 am

Yeah I have been digging anything and everything that isn't a solid iron signal. I have done some bench testing and ground testing to see how the machine acts to different objects and different sensitivities.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:40 pm

I WILL GET OUT SOMETIME TOMORROW! Raining cats and dogs right now. Temperatures are to drop from right now (46') to the low 30's by tomorrow afternoon. Rain to snow with gusty winds. I'm still going to go! I need dump money!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:12 pm

HA...got out today and took on Mother Nature. I lost! As soon as I got to one of my spots the rain/sleet/snow started. The high winds were the killer, though. Radio reports had wind chill factor at 19 degrees. Also, I didn't want to take a chance on the Ace getting wet. I did manage 19 cents! One dime and 9 pennies! 3 coppers! The high tomorrow is not even going to make 30 degrees. I guess I'll have to wait for another warm-up if that ever happens.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby hobo finds » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:45 am

Hey Rodebaugh how long do you think it will take for your "finds" to pass what you have paid to get the dector? It looks like you are doing very well so far.
hobo finds

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:23 am

hobo finds wrote:Hey Rodebaugh how long do you think it will take for your "finds" to pass what you have paid to get the dector? It looks like you are doing very well so far.

With all that white stuff on the ground.....longer than I hoped.

It's a shame too. I have a great place to check out that would by light in trash with a VERY GOOD chance at some gold and silver. ;)

If I get to go there (which is next on the list) who knows what will come out of the ground.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 am

Well Chris, you may not be able to do halves boxes cuz you're so rural, but it sounds like you're having a blast metal detecting! Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:15 am

Looks like I'm done for awhile here. Weather forecasts are predicting several inches of snow starting Friday night through Saturday afternoon. After that, the next couple of days of lake effect snow showers. Been a few years since we had a white Christmas. I guess I'll have to hit the snow piles from the plows in the big store parking lots! BUMMER!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:30 pm

Yeah.....it's cold and there is half a foot of snow on the ground. Waiting for the big melt and a 40 degree day.

Time to go play with the pennies.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:36 pm

Not going to get out of the 20's for the next 5-6 days.....so I took the batteries out. Maybe I'll start looking at the piles from the snowplows. Might have to put the batteries back in then! Come on late February warm-up!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby silverflake » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi gang, I'm new here, been posting mostly in the copper pennies forums and the silver forums (gotta love silver) but my 13 year old son has a hand held metal detector we got him for Christmas a couple years back and every once in a while he goes out in our back yard here in Virginia and gets on his hands and knees to scout around. Today he went out for about 10 minutes when I called him so we could go get Christmas tree. I asked if he found anything and he said "Yes, a nickel!" He was pretty jazzed just to find the nickel but I asked him the date and he squints his eyes and says, "Nineteen forty something..." I quickly take a look and turned it over to see the big 'P' above Monticello and knew immediately he had a silver war nickel. It turned out to be 1943!!! He was so darn excited, it was more valuable than any coin ever found. He and his brother have found about 2 dozen pennies over the last 3 years, 10 of them wheat - just in our dinky back yard. Cool stuff.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:23 pm

There won't be any posts for a few minutes because everyone just ran out into thier backyards with their MDs
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby TXBullion » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:38 pm

Thogey wrote:There won't be any posts for a few minutes because everyone just ran out into thier backyards with their MDs

Yea for sure, even though it was raining and nasty combo of snow/mud, I had to check the backyard, Ok, im back :lol:
TXBullion

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Hopefully Santa will bring him a real metal detector so he can check the backyard standing up!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Me and the Ace need a roadtrip somewhere a little warmer. We're both depressed about the cold and snow covered ground. BUMMER!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:28 pm

yeah removed the batteries outta mine.....and waxed the skis!

Now they are calling for warmer weather......should have wax the skis sooner
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals