Don't like looking stupid

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Don't like looking stupid

Postby saltydecks » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:46 pm

Ok, so I haven't done much sorting lately. But when I did freelance work for a TV station it didn't matter what the gig my paycheck would end in a $5 amount and some odd cents, so I would get 2 rolls of nickels and 2 rolls of pennies.

The tellers would look at me indof strange even for that, so I got to think if I go and ask for a box of anything they are going to think I'm absolutely nuts. Who do you normally ask for a box of nickels or dimes? The teller at the window or do some banks handle this kind of thing differently?
saltydecks
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Don't like looking stupid

Postby Robarons » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:20 am

You will find normal tellers can get the job done- just ask for a $25 or if they have any Customer rolls in a specific amount.

Some Branches may have special tellers that handle coins, the only person who can give them out, but these are mostly smaller in store type banks or newer built banks in which they streamlined the process to one teller having coins and all the other tellers just do cash.

Both most tellers will have coin and be thrilled to get rid it for the most part- throw out an excuse like my kid collects coins or your trying to fill a coin book and expect no problems
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:40 am

Your going to get funny looks and they will probably make fun of you when you leave. Oh well, it's their own ignorance. Don't let the eye rolling got to you. There are plenty of other banks that would like your business if the bank that you are using does not like exchanging money.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:20 am

I wonder what the other customers in line think of me when I pull my Hot Rod Red two wheel dollie in and load of 16 boxes and wheel on out. Oh thats right...I dont care what they think but I leave with a smile, always. Dont let it bother you. The first thing to do is ask. Always ask for the customer rolled coin first if none then ask if they can order a box or 16 for you and if they have some boxes they may make them available to you right then...just do it.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby jasmatk » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:33 pm

fasteddy wrote:...just do it.

+1
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:57 pm

Who cares what they think? I don't. I have had someone make a comment almost every time I pull a cart loaded down with bags out of the credit union. The tellers don't care. Either way the bags need to go.

Once you have established a good relationship with the vault teller it becomes easier. Once they know that you will show up when you promise and they never see the coins again they don't seem to mind. Bring in a bag of chocolates ( something good ) once and a while and they will look forward to you coming in.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Most of the time when you are trying your hardest not to look stupid....you end up looking REALLY stupid.

You'll catch on after a few times. Before you know it.......some of the tellers will start to be worried about if they look stupid to you.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby penny pretty » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:05 pm

A little over a Year ago, I started by buying a ctu on ebay just to have some copper( Ive been stacking silver awhile, and at that time it was too high to) I got my $100 FV in the mail and checked to see that It was legit. it was and I quickly saw some wheats(was rydaled) so sorted through whole thing and set aside the wheats. LTS I decided to try to sort myself. I was terrified to ask for pennies. As luck has it, the credit union I have been using forever trains their employees well. Never a problem. sometimes a quick blank look, at times a "sorry, we just sent them all out" but most times here ya go, glad to get rid of them! My next big step would be asking from a bank I dont have an account at. have not had to do that yet. furthermore, unless you are wearing fake buckteeth and and fake broken eyeglasses, ya dont look stupid!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby goldteam » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:30 am

Maybe you people are more honest than me, but I tell the banks I have a disabled brother who sorts pennies. It gives my brother something to do. I do all the work for him in getting the pennies.

The tellers are all women and when they hear this they can't wait to get you the pennies. What a nice thing for you to do for him.

Of course I don't actually have a disabled brother......oh well
goldteam

Postby scyther » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:40 pm

goldteam wrote:Maybe you people are more honest than me, but I tell the banks I have a disabled brother who sorts pennies. It gives my brother something to do. I do all the work for him in getting the pennies.

The tellers are all women and when they hear this they can't wait to get you the pennies. What a nice thing for you to do for him.

Of course I don't actually have a disabled brother......oh well

Lol. Maybe I should try that if I ever have an issue getting coin (I finally got an arrangement to get $50 a week!)... Not sure if I could say it with a straight face though, and it would be really embarrassing to be caught in a lie like that...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:29 pm

I deposited my paycheck (don't like the idea of direct deposit) at the B of A on Monday, and asked for $105 back. When the Teller asked me how I wanted that I told her "four twenties and a box of pennies." I got a funny look, but it got the job done.
Mike
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:36 am

Don't know about looking stupid.....but I sure feel stupid/dumb when they have to change the machine's bags because of me when I bring in about $75 face and the bags get changed with about a handfull of pennies left over.

This machine has 4 bags for pennies, 2 bags for nickels, dimes, and quarters, and one for halfs. Usually a dime, nickel, and/or a quarter bag ends up getting changed out at this time. I end up giving these gals a workout.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing