ECB cuts interest rates, More printing

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

ECB cuts interest rates, More printing

Postby deacon » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:43 am

Looks like like the European Central Bank cut interest rates to .75%, and the United Kingdom is printing 50B pounds. The New York exchange hasn't opened yet, but silver is down 2%. It will be interesting to see what happens when the market opens, and people start selling/shorting silver.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Re: ECB cuts interest rates, More printing

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:57 am

deacon wrote:Looks like like the European Central Bank cut interest rates to .75%, and the United Kingdom is printing 50B pounds. The New York exchange hasn't opened yet, but silver is down 2%. It will be interesting to see what happens when the market opens, and people start selling/shorting silver.

Big down.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:23 am

Guess I am stupid, but I thought more money printing would mean higher PM's? Or is this because it's foreign printing = dollar strengthening = lower PM in dollar terms? Think I kinda figured it out as I was typing.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:35 am

NHsorter wrote:Guess I am stupid, but I thought more money printing would mean higher PM's? Or is this because it's foreign printing = dollar strengthening = lower PM in dollar terms? Think I kinda figured it out as I was typing.

Yeah you got it. PMs will go up in Euros but not in dollars yet. The currency/bond markets are WAAAY bigger than stock markets and the stock markets are way bigger than the gold/silver market. Gold get pushed around by these bigger forces in the short run, but as we've seen over the last 10 years, it goes where it wants to in the longer term.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:10 pm

USD rallying hard today, up 0.55 on the index as I type. This makes for a good Saturday to buy PMs at your local coin store, since they will probably price things based on Friday's close.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby PADFH » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:51 am

Too little too late. What needs to be done can't be done politically. The Euro is doomed.
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals