Oz silver/house ratio

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Oz silver/house ratio

Postby Engineer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:37 am

Looking at the following charts, it appears US housing is undervalued by nearly 50% compared to silver these days, but UK housing is close to its historical norm. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

http://www.sharelynx.com/chartstemp/USHLSPOG.php
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Oz silver/house ratio

Postby slvrbck » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:46 am

That's the beauty of charts. Everyone can read them differently. Looks more to me like US housing was overvalued by roughly 50% over the last twenty years and we are now closer to a longer term average.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:04 am

Personally can't really make anything terribly useful out of it.

a) It doesn't go back far enough to be meaningful, as far as PM prices.

b) A "house" isn't really a standard thing, especially over the past 100 years. And the differences between the US and UK are apples and oranges. I don't know what they considered in this graph, but in practice...

In US, 50 years ago a typical house might have been 1200 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, no A/C, no dishwasher, washer (maybe) and the dryer was a clothesline. Nowadays that would be considered unacceptable, too substandard even for welfare recipients. (That may be changing, but hasn't yet.)

In contrast, in the UK the expectations for living have declined precipitously over the past 50-100 years after they effectively lost two world wars. (They "won", but destroyed two generations and all their accumulated wealth in the process.) An acceptable abode there is now a flat in a carved-up former house that totals maybe 500-800 sq ft. (Of course small flats can be made to work, thus the appeal of IKEA, but they have become used to having to do with less.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:58 am

Not what I was expecting. I was expecting the price of a house (or any other commodity) to be level in terms of gold. As 68Camero said, the "average" US house has changed dramatically in the past 50 years. Housing is subject to so many different mood swings effecting supply & demand.

Is there another commodity you can do a comparison with? The Mogambo Guru once wrote about how a loaf of bread to price in gold ratio had stayed pretty much the same since the Roman Empire.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:31 am

So how long has the price of silver been manipulated? How can you get the truth out of a rigged data set?

GIGO. Garbage in, garbage out. The chart is meaningless.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:19 am

68Camaro wrote:Personally can't really make anything terribly useful out of it.

In US, 50 years ago a typical house might have been 1200 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, no A/C, no dishwasher, washer (maybe) and the dryer was a clothesline. Nowadays that would be considered unacceptable, too substandard even for welfare recipients. (That may be changing, but hasn't yet.)

How did you know where I grew up..? :lol:
Really, I remember when the temp was 95 and all we had in our house was a box fan. We had the 4 line poles in the back. (mostly on base) Heck even in school you opened the window. I see no problem going back to it. I think that is where everyone is heading.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:30 am

reddirtcoins wrote:

Really, I remember when the temp was 95 and all we had in our house was a box fan. We had the 4 line poles in the back. (mostly on base) Heck even in school you opened the window. I see no problem going back to it. I think that is where everyone is heading.

My house: no dishwasher, no AC, no cable TV, clothsline in the back, (except for our beds) no soft furniture like lazy boy couch etc. I could sell silver and buy these things. But I don't want to reduce my silver to house ratio :lol:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:08 am

No AC in AZ.... Thats like no heat in Alaska.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby fasteddy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:16 am

We know Thogey uses live critters for pest control...so how deep does your cave go? Do you have your own underground river/spring....?
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:20 am

I live in the high country. We break 100 maybe 5 days each summer. Since the air is thin here the temp drops 30, 40 sometimes 50 degrees at night. I'd rather keep my silver than become a squishy, soft typical American.

Back on topic though. I think Camaro's response was right. Compared to 50 years ago houses are really extravagant and people are no happier now than they were.

I'm going to need my silver to buy beer when I can no longer work or to fly to China so I can buy a political prisoner's fresh, healthy liver.
Last edited by Thogey on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:22 am

fasteddy wrote:We know Thogey uses live critters for pest control...so how deep does your cave go? Do you have your own underground river/spring....?

Yeah. The underground river flows across by backyard into my septic tank. The spring comes out the end of a hose that leads to a washing machine.
Thogey

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:31 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:

Yep. Same here. We grew up in similar conditions....although we had a washer/dryer in addition to the clothesline. Funny thing is, my folks STILL don't have AC :lol: I'm not sure why, but why should someone consider suffering? In order to save some "pennies?" To each their own, I suppose. We made do with what we had.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:06 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:How did you know where I grew up..? :lol:

Well, because, really - that's was truly the typical house in the 1950-60s, at least in the fly-over country I grew up in. We considered ourselves fortunate, and with a good standard of living. We had a party line. A 12-inch B&W TV that got (maybe, on a good day) 3 channels. We knew we had really arrived when the city built a community pool. That was EVERYONE I knew. Oh, a few in the country had a bit less. And the truly "rich" in the town had a 19 inch color TV, two cars, A/C in the house and the cars, and their own washer/dryer instead of having to go to the laudromat. Nowadays, almost everyone would have been considered "rich", back then.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby dannan14 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:42 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:

Hehe, i never left it. i hate air conditioning. Right now i'm living in an apartment, so no clothes line, but over the last 10 years most of the time i've used free energy to dry my clothes.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby Bluegill » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:13 pm

I can look at the chart and see that housing is still over priced and Ag is undervalued here in the U.S.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheba » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:25 am

When I was a kid back in the '50s', we didn't have TV, AC, or a dryer. We did have a washing machine and a special room in the basement where the coal was dumped for the winter time (it could get down around 20-25 below for a couple weeks).

I never remember being terribly uncomfortable, though I spent a lot of my 'kid' years in the community swimming pool in the summer.

Now, however, I don't think my dear wife and I could exist (specially this year) without AC and all the other goodies mentioned.

The poorest of us are pretty rich (I don't consider us 'rich' by US standards at all ... living on a small fixed retirement income), but when I hear missionaries in our church talk about what is normal, for instance, in India, I feel very, very rich! And I think a huge segment of the Indian population (as well as other such countries) would consider even the poorest in the US, very rich.

I'll keep handsorting those pennies....one at a time probably! :D
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Engineer wrote:Looking at the following charts, it appears US housing is undervalued by nearly 50% compared to silver these days, but UK housing is close to its historical norm. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

http://www.sharelynx.com/chartstemp/USHLSPOG.php

Might have something to do with demographics... i.e. the Baby Boomer Generation being able to afford housing. You can see how: just when they are beginning to come to a point where their income is increasing and they are creating families, that this particular point in time is when the prices of housing begins to increase... And 20-30 years later, when they are retiring and downsizing households, that this particular time is when the prices of housing returns to normalcy.

I dunno, I'm a dunce when it comes to these things
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals