Couple comments about silver bars and rounds

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Couple comments about silver bars and rounds

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:21 am

Curious, is Quality Silver Bullion the only vendor of these type of round:

http://qualitysilverbullion.com/index.p ... duct_id=51

I think that is a good looking silver round. Has anyone seen other dealer's versions that copy the WL half dollar like this one. I have seen some that do not have the same relief like this one does.

A comment about silver bars. I am seeing the Johnson Matthey bars get a higher premium, sometimes much more than American Eagles, on Ebay. For whatever it is worth, if I make another online purchase, the 1 oz. bars may be the ones I'll get next.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Couple comments about silver bars and rounds

Postby Sheba » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:11 am

JerrySpringer wrote:Curious, is Quality Silver Bullion the only vendor of these type of round:

I think that is a good looking silver round. Has anyone seen other dealer's versions that copy the WL half dollar like this one. I have seen some that do not have the same relief like this one does.

A comment about silver bars. I am seeing the Johnson Matthey bars get a higher premium, sometimes much more than American Eagles, on Ebay. For whatever it is worth, if I make another online purchase, the 1 oz. bars may be the ones I'll get next.

I'm curious, though I have very little silver of any kind, why it matters so much whether its an American Eagle, Johnson Matthey bar, or whatever ... isn't one ounce of .999 fine silver the same value no matter what it looks like? (This is from an 'old guy' that doesn't understand (obviously) the finer points of silver bullion)

Thanks for any thoughts!
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Sheba wrote:
JerrySpringer wrote:Curious, is Quality Silver Bullion the only vendor of these type of round:

I'm curious, though I have very little silver of any kind, why it matters so much whether its an American Eagle, Johnson Matthey bar, or whatever ... isn't one ounce of .999 fine silver the same value no matter what it looks like? (This is from an 'old guy' that doesn't understand (obviously) the finer points of silver bullion)

Thanks for any thoughts!

I've wondered the same thing about silver too! I'm guessing that it must be the reputation of the company..(Englehard, Johnson-Matthey) or whatever. Otherwise, if the purity is .999 fine silver, why else would it matter?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:54 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:I've wondered the same thing about silver too! I'm guessing that it must be the reputation of the company..(Englehard, Johnson-Matthey) or whatever. Otherwise, if the purity is .999 fine silver, why else would it matter?

People are willing to pay a little more for pretty designs and good craftsmanship...whether its in the form of a house, car, clothes, or silver rounds.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Sheba wrote: I'm curious, though I have very little silver of any kind, why it matters so much whether its an American Eagle, Johnson Matthey bar, or whatever ... isn't one ounce of .999 fine silver the same value no matter what it looks like? (This is from an 'old guy' that doesn't understand (obviously) the finer points of silver bullion)

Thanks for any thoughts!

I think it does depend upon how much recognition the manufacturer has. One ounce of silver is one ounce of silver right, but apparently people are bidding 30% over spot for American Eagles and JM bars. I don't know, maybe it is because it is Ebay and bidders there only can buy an ounce at a time and do not care paying the extra for some reason. Now some would say that is the actual street price for physical silver. If so, then the premiums are %#@$%! .
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ScottyTX » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Yeppers, kinda reminds me of when I was a kid my Dad used to get pissed cause he was paying for a pair of nike's instead of a pair of pay-Less spaldings for us kiddo's :) Like most other products there is a perceived extra "value" in name recognition. There's also trust as well, if you weren't as knowledgable would you rather have a no name 1 oz round or a government backed and guaranteed 1 oz round?? Same ole same ole arguments that's been going around since I was born about name brand vs. generic.........
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:24 am

I am as tight as bark on tree, when it comes to paying premium. But I have learned that name recognition means quick sales when it comes time to sell your silver. I bought those Xmas rounds, bought them because of the very low premium. When it came to selling them people must of thought they were coated with plutonium. Never a harder sell, I had. So now I stick to the Engelhards, Johnson Matthey, Silvertowne, ASE, Maples,Libertads. Now they cost more of a premium and I don't buy as many. I don't buy bullion that has been graded by a third party, that never made any scents to me. I shop the hell out of Realcent, eBay and Bullionstacker to get the best deal. Concentrate on stacking quality first, quantity second. Just my two cents.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals