Why do you sort pennies?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Why do you sort pennies?

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:07 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
Thogey wrote:I just moved 400 lbs from my bedroom, to my workshop (concrete floors). Then I asked myself the same question.

Make sure you put you cents in the spot where they should stay.

I thought maybe you were doing it to save on gym membership. :mrgreen:

I thought he was moving Mrs. Thogey! :mrgreen:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:13 pm

If I told you why I sort pennies then you would want to sort pennies, too. I don't want the competition! :P
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby deacon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:28 pm

I sort to pass the time. It gives me something to do while watching netflix.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby Numis Pam » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:13 am

Shifty51 wrote:Because I have an addictive personality and pennies are cheaper than cocaine...

+1 :lol:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby duane1966 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:31 am

I sort pennies because I'm a cheapskate. If I can make a little money doing something I really enjoy then why not do it.I'm not really a hoarder - I would sell all my pennies at a decent profit and then just sort more. I sort by hand but would get a rydale if I thought it would pay for itself in a few months. I think it would but I would have to get my wife to agree with me.
duane1966
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:10 pm

duane1966 wrote:I sort pennies because I'm a cheapskate. If I can make a little money doing something I really enjoy then why not do it.I'm not really a hoarder - I would sell all my pennies at a decent profit and then just sort more. I sort by hand but would get a rydale if I thought it would pay for itself in a few months. I think it would but I would have to get my wife to agree with me.

Just run the numbers:

If the Ryedale you wanted cost $500, and you could clear $25/CTU, you'd need to sell 20 CTUs to make the machine pay for itself. With a copper percentage of 20%, you'd have to sort $10K face value before the machine turned a profit.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:12 am

Engineer wrote:
duane1966 wrote:I sort pennies because I'm a cheapskate. If I can make a little money doing something I really enjoy then why not do it.I'm not really a hoarder - I would sell all my pennies at a decent profit and then just sort more. I sort by hand but would get a rydale if I thought it would pay for itself in a few months. I think it would but I would have to get my wife to agree with me.

Just run the numbers:

If the Ryedale you wanted cost $500, and you could clear $25/CTU, you'd need to sell 20 CTUs to make the machine pay for itself. With a copper percentage of 20%, you'd have to sort $10K face value before the machine turned a profit.

Great math, Engineer, but what about maintenance on the machine? I have forgotten, how many coins pass through the machine before you need to start replacing parts, like the sorting wheel?
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mishra142 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:35 am

Feed wheel should last 500k to a million coins. And they only run ten bucks.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby myfundsarelow » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:11 pm

sort them cents, put them in the bank they make money, pay yourself every time you sort thats good enough for me PEACE!!
myfundsarelow
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing