Another Scam on Craigslist

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Another Scam on Craigslist

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:25 am

This guy is offering 2x face for pre-1964 quarters....then $5 to $7 on 1 ounce coins????

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/wan/3144873951.html

Should we ALL give him some business??????
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Another Scam on Craigslist

Postby DirtyFingers » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:36 am

Heck of it is, he'll probably get some business from up that way.

Flag him maybe?
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:24 pm

No, just set up a time and place to meet. Tell him you have a few plastic tubes of $1 coins that say .999 silver on them and you would be happy to get $5 each. Tell him you don't have a car, but you live right near some place that you know is a long way from where he is located. Then just don't show up. Or show up really late with a bunch of Ikes. :D

I have wanted to do this myself, but have not done so yet. If only I had more free time.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Maybe I should see if he'll drive out to the western burbs :twisted:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby xippi » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Make your own ad , just up him , offer 3x face and 8 on 1 oz silver
xippi
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:12 pm

xippi wrote:Make your own ad , just up him , offer 3x face and 8 on 1 oz silver

RichardPenny43 wrote:Maybe I should see if he'll drive out to the western burbs :twisted:

Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Give the guy a break maybe he's been in a coma the last decade and just came around........It wasn't too long ago I remember these prices being resonable :) Still makes me sick I wasn't stacking back then?!?

Scott
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby lance » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:28 pm

Ouch....i highly doubt though he will get any response....ive posted on cl several times with a fair payout and never got a response
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby OtusLotus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:51 pm

Isn't that the same price those travelling road shows are paying?

Anybody has the right to offer any amount... someone might just contact him!

Im thinking of putting up my own ad... lol
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:26 am

I agree with xippi, just outbid him, that's how the market works.

Don't bother with the silly games.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:06 am

It's one thing to make a profit but it bothers me when somebody is this low down!!!!!!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:59 am

NHsorter wrote:No, just set up a time and place to meet. Tell him you have a few plastic tubes of $1 coins that say .999 silver on them and you would be happy to get $5 each. Tell him you don't have a car, but you live right near some place that you know is a long way from where he is located. Then just don't show up. Or show up really late with a bunch of Ikes. :D

I have wanted to do this myself, but have not done so yet. If only I had more free time.

Ha! What the hell. I must have jinxed myself with this one. I replied to a craigslist ad about a week ago. Guy has coins "Appraised at $1300, quick sale for $375" No Details, The worst fuzzy blob of a picture that you have ever seen. Email anyway since he is close by. Still can't get any details or a better pic. Willing to meet. Will call me back. 2 days later says he can meet on Sunday. I give him my google voice number and he says he will call me in the morning to set up a time to meet. Never got a call on sunday. Monday morning got an apologetic email looking to set up a time. Finally got in contact with his wife on the phone and decided to meet at the food court in the mall at 5:45. I get there 5 mins. early. Finally at 6:00 I call and his wife answers. She says she will call him to see where he is. Sort of ignores my request for his number, name, what he looks like... So this is now certainly weird. I wait 15 more minutes! Call her back again and it just goes straight to voice mail. So I got stood up. Don't know if this is a scam or what. I did not expose any private info through the process so I am not really concerned. Took a little detour to make sure that I was not being followed just because I am a little bit nuts. But I just don't understand what they are up to? Do they just feel like jerking people around for fun? Not even knowing the first thing about the coins, I just told them that I would be happy to look through them and make a fair offer.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby dannan14 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:30 am

NHsorter wrote:Took a little detour to make sure that I was not being followed just because I am a little bit nuts.

This isn't nuts. As i was reading i was hoping you'd say that you took precautions. With the facts you gave i would have felt like i was potentially in danger and probably would have taken a VERY circuitous route home.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals