48 Tons of Silver Found in North Atlantic

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

48 Tons of Silver Found in North Atlantic

Postby Kurr » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:43 am

96,000 pounds of Silver, possibly the largest discovery in history, was found in the North Atlantic

Deep-sea explorers have pulled up 48 tons of silver treasure from three miles below the surface of the North Atlantic in what may be the deepest, largest precious metal recovery in history.

The haul was retrieved from the S.S. Gairsoppa, a 412-foot steel-hulled British cargo ship that sank in February 1941.

The expedition, by Odyssey Marine Exploration, a company specializing in shipwreck exploration, recovered 1,203 bars of silver, totaling 1.4 million ounces. Viewers will have the chance to follow the pursuit of the lost treasure on an upcoming Discovery Channel special produced by JWM Productions.

http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/201 ... rgest.html

*************************************************************************************

Looks like they found someone's bugout stash, lol!!
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: 48 Tons of Silver Found in North Atlantic

Postby CuNation1 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:03 am

Kurr wrote:Looks like they found someone's bugout stash, lol!!

Ahh man... looks like I'll have to find a better location next time to have a boating accident. 8-)
CuNation1

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:10 am

Why were they boating around loads of silver like that with U-Boats everywhere? The only thing that I can think of is that maybe they were trying to get it out of the country and maybe to the US before a potential German invasion?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Attached to convoy SL-64 under master Gerald Hyland, she was returning from India to Britain in 1941 with a cargo of silver ingots, pig iron and tea.[5][6] Joining the 8 knot convoy in Freetown, Sierra Leone,[7] while in a heavy storm and running low on coal off the coast of neutral Republic of Ireland, Gairsoppa split off from the convoy and set course for Galway harbour.

She was circled by a German Focke-Wulf Fw 200 aircraft at 08:00 on 16 February, and at 22.30 was spotted by U-101, under the command of Ernst Mengersen. Torpedoed on the starboard side in No. 2 hold, she sank within 20 minutes (Note: German logbooks kept in German time state she sank at 00.08 hours on February 17, 1941).[7] Her last reported position was 50°00′N 14°0′WCoordinates: 50°00′N 14°0′W, 300 miles (480 km) southwest of Galway Bay.[5] The wreck lies 4,700 metres (15,400 ft) below the surface.[8]

It was thought that three lifeboats launched, but only that in the charge of the second officer R.H. Ayres with four Europeans and two Lascars on board made it away; the rest of the crew was lost. Ayres and his boat reached the Cornish coast two weeks later at Caerthillian Cove. Two died trying to get ashore; they are buried at St. Wynwallow, Church Cove, Landewednack.[7] Ayres was made an MBE for his attempts to rescue his fellow sailors, and lived until 1992.[5]
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Cool, thanks Jade.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:48 pm

NHsorter wrote:Cool, thanks Jade.

+++yes Jade your factoids bring a lot of extras to complete the story told :)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:26 pm

Wow :shock: Awesome find of a lifetime, and an awesome story, too!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Wow, there saying the 48 tons is approx. only 1/4-1/5 of the total amount they "may" recover....... up to 7 million total ounces of silver may lie beneth....Wow
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numis Pam » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:26 am

Hmmm I would say this is both good and bad news... good for the finders, but...... What might all that silver put back on the market do in the short term to the price of silver? I do not have a clue but I would love to hear some of you guys thoughts about what, if anything, might happen to the market?
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:05 pm

I would think the silver would be so badly corroded by now, in all that seawater over the decades. I guess silver is quite resilient I take it?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Gotta say though, those bars look quite nice! Or did they clean them up using some type of chemicals?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Robarons » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Did it say these bar were going to hit the market or sit in a museum some where?

And because its sunken treasure who gets the silver? The finders or the owners who ship sunk in the first place?
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Robarons wrote:Did it say these bar were going to hit the market or sit in a museum some where?

And because its sunken treasure who gets the silver? The finders or the owners who ship sunk in the first place?

My understanding was that the group who found it gets 80% of this lot, and the other 20% goes to someone else. I don't remember who financed it but I think they get the other 20%
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals