when will you stop?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

when will you stop?

Postby lance » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:13 pm

I was sorting today with the ryedale...and while pulling wheats and canadians from the copper pile i was thinking when should i stop? Should i stop at $1000. Or should i sort until the % gets around 10-20....i guess if i knew for sure that this is a great investment and that i was gonna really benefit from it in the future i wouldnt be so negative about it right now...hmmm
lance
Penny Collector Member

Re: when will you stop?

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:17 pm

My plan was solid from the start. Accumulate 1 ton and then sell the Ryedale. Well... now I am well past a ton. Now I think it would be cool to have a million coppers. Just cause a million sounds cool. Think I'll stop once I get there?? doubtful.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:41 pm

If your wanting to limit any upside or downside to your long term penny investment, stop at a number your comfortable with stacking and sell the rest rolling it over into silver/gold or whatever suits you....Win/Win in my book if you can find a decent buyer and making it worth while to sell. Knowing myself though I'll get tired of looking at them one day and sell mine off and buy silver with it.... Only you know your game plan Lance!

Scott
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby lance » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:42 pm

I have alot of copper...a good amount of silver...and a little gold...part of me hopes this ratio is good...i would hate to get down the road and say "damn...wish i didnt waste my time and money on coppers and i shoulda put it in gold"
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby lance » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:44 pm

ScottyTX wrote:If your wanting to limit any upside or downside to your long term penny investment, stop at a number your comfortable with stacking and sell the rest rolling it over into silver/gold or whatever suits you....Win/Win in my book if you can find a decent buyer and making it worth while to sell. Knowing myself though I'll get tired of looking at them one day and sell mine off and buy silver with it.... Only you know your game plan Lance!

Scott

This gameplan would be excellent if you could sell coppers for 2 cents each...i just dont know how beneficial it would be to sell at 1.2-1.5 cents a penny. Maybe im just stubborn and greedy?
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby Numis Pam » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:47 pm

IMHOP.... You need as much of each kind as you can afford... It's all good, some maybe better than others later on down the road, but for now, it's all good.... it is for the long term... :)
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby deacon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:56 pm

If you are looking to benefit immediately instead of waiting an unknown amount of times before its legal to melt, why don't you sell CTUs? Keep whatever you feel is a core stack, and sell/trade the rest for silver.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby rickygee » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:12 pm

I've had a lot of fun with base metals for the last three years.

Bunch of semi-numi coins.
Canadian coins.
Foreign coins.

And a small hoard of coppers and nickels that I can't take with me if the SHTF.
I think I might be done, err, finished.

Keeping the collectibles, but seriously thinking of returning the nickels to the wild and selling the cents for whatever craigslist will bring (No, I don't do ebay.) and get some silver rounds. Logistics.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:59 pm

I'll never stop! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:54 pm

I'll probably stop when I fill up my 2nd bucket full of coppers! I already have 1.5 buckets full of nickels....will I truly stop? Nah, at the very least I'll keep what I find in loose change and save that.

I'll keep stacking ounces of silver though, as well as completing both my penny and nickel archives....then, maybe move on to a different currency? Not sure, too early to say, but either way, it's been
a fun hobby, one that will last for many years.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:57 pm

NHsorter wrote:My plan was solid from the start. Accumulate 1 ton and then sell the Ryedale. Well... now I am well past a ton. Now I think it would be cool to have a million coppers. Just cause a million sounds cool. Think I'll stop once I get there?? doubtful.

Nope. Because then you will want TWO million!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Definitely think about your core stack plan. Mine is also 1/3 ton, but I'm slowly moving past it. I may stop. Think about how to store them long term, if you can. Sometimes, a family member that is not moving anytime soon. They don't take up all that much room. The suggestion to try and move some is good as well. Look at the many ebay auctions for ideas.

It would seem only melt ban and/or up with the copper price would make this play out quicker.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Robarons » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:37 pm

This kinda like asking when will you stop sorting coins for silver (havles)?

People still do this even to find 1 per a $1000 box 50 years after the coins being withdrawn and hunted to the point of extinction

Pennies were made in much greater quantities the spread is too small for people to care (some people dont even care they can make $2 on a 1964 if they tried to look for them)

So sorting will be around for a long time
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:58 pm

When I assume room temperature.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:41 am

When the floor gives out were they are stored. :mrgreen:
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:56 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I'll never stop! :mrgreen:

Therapy is available.

just sayin...
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby lance » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:51 pm

I have 2 big plastic containers...1 is 10 gallons i believe...that is filled...then i have a 12 or 14 gallon container on top of that....it should be well over a ton once filled...i think i will stop after that...its already a third filled....but if somehow something changes soon where i can sell these for double the face i wont stop....and i will always buy silver and cold...the rush i get from finding a silver half in a roll isnt something i can live without lmao
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:56 pm

Morsecode wrote:
HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I'll never stop! :mrgreen:

Therapy is available.

just sayin...

:lol: Who the heck would want therapy?

Buy gold.
If you can't buy gold, buy silver.
If you can't buy silver, buy nickel.
AND always collect copper & lead.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jacer333 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:56 pm

$10,000 face would be my "magic number". It would feel good to be sitting on a million coppers to save for the future. Like others said, I probably wouldn't stop sorting, but past that I may start flipping them quickly. My goal is to hit a million to keep, then let them collect dust until I can sell them for 10x face. Just over halfway to that number now :)
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheba » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:30 pm

Now why would I want to stop a fun hobby like this. (Specially since the last group of Lincs. I went through contained a very nice (VG+) 1933 D and an Unc (maybe AU) 1955 S. Nothing great there, but still, finding coins like that make this a fun hobby. 'Course, hoarding copper ain't boring or hard work even if I am a 'hand sorter' :lol:
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:41 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:
NHsorter wrote:My plan was solid from the start. Accumulate 1 ton and then sell the Ryedale. Well... now I am well past a ton. Now I think it would be cool to have a million coppers. Just cause a million sounds cool. Think I'll stop once I get there?? doubtful.

Nope. Because then you will want TWO million!

Two million sounds twice as cool as one million!!!!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby WileE » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:03 pm

I have always heard that the first million is the hardest, but I don't think they were talking about pennies! :roll:
There'll be time enough for counting when the sorting's done
WileE
Penny Pincher Member

Postby goldteam » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:42 pm

they pay you nothing to store money in a bank and such

i look at it as why put it in the bank....put it in copper

you always have the copper and if you ever got desparate.......you could sell
goldteam

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:50 pm

I need to hit some scrap yards and see how much they would sell copper for. Since I already have well over a ton, will I really need that many copper cents? I don't want to start this whole conversation over. I know that the copper in the penny form is great for many reasons but...

If I can get copper as cheap, or nearly as cheap as it is costing me to procure it from circulation, I might be better off starting to just stack copper pipe and wire. It will certainly save me a lot of time. And I will have copper of higher purity. Anyone on here buying copper from a scrap yard? What are you paying?

EDIT: Don't want to sound like a quitter. I will continue to sort pennies no doubt. It's just a matter of what level I will be sorting at. A better gig comes up and I will scale back on the pennies.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:57 pm

NHsorter wrote:I need to hit some scrap yards and see how much they would sell copper for. Since I already have well over a ton, will I really need that many copper cents? I don't want to start this whole conversation over. I know that the copper in the penny form is great for many reasons but...

If I can get copper as cheap, or nearly as cheap as it is costing me to procure it from circulation, I might be better off starting to just stack copper pipe and wire. It will certainly save me a lot of time. And I will have copper of higher purity. Anyone on here buying copper from a scrap yard? What are you paying?

EDIT: Don't want to sound like a quitter. I will continue to sort pennies no doubt. It's just a matter of what level I will be sorting at. A better gig comes up and I will scale back on the pennies.

Well, you can get copper in penny form for less than half of melt value. I would be quite surprised if a scrap yard would sell you copper for less than spot. Or at least very much less.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing