using half dollars to buy stuff

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

using half dollars to buy stuff

Postby 97guns » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:28 am

i've been using half dollars here and there to pay for stuff and most people don't know what they are, these people are teenagers so maybe that is why.

just this morning i took my niece to the store and we stopped at mcdonalds for a breakfast burrito. i sent her in with $3.50 in halves and told her to buy 3 burrito's, she comes back with the 3 burrito's and 3 halves and said the lady told her they were dollars and only took 4 of them.

pay with halves at mcdonalds and were back to 1970's prices with zero inflation :mrgreen:
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Re: using half dollars to buy stuff

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:36 am

That's funny. I used a half as part of my payment for a chicken sandwich a few weeks back. I handed her exact change and she gave me back 2 quarters. I just drove to the next window thinking how much of an idiot she was. Then after I felt guilty.

I tried it again a couple days ago when I was buying a frozen lemonade (yummy) and again (different girl) she tried to give me change. This time I just explained it to her and did not take the change back. Think I'll try again soon just for kicks. Both times you could really see the wheels turning as the stood there, mouths open, trying to figure out what I just handed them. :D
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 97guns » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:42 am

i like to give the cashier change after they input the amount in the reg, like if my bill is $14.32 ill hand them a $20, when they enter $20 in the reg i say wait i got .07 then they're really screwed, i had a girl call the manager one time :lol:
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:14 pm

97guns wrote:i like to give the cashier change after they input the amount in the reg, like if my bill is $14.32 ill hand them a $20, when they enter $20 in the reg i say wait i got .07 then they're really screwed, i had a girl call the manager one time :lol:

you have too much time on your hands :roll:
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:17 pm

I had cashiers think they were dollars a few times. I always felt guilty and educated them about the half dollars, but the little devil on my shoulder was screaming shut up fool!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Matt B » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:34 pm

I've definitely gotten some blank looks when trying to pay with halves, but not "excess" change thrown my way just yet. Guess I'll have to start hitting MdD's! :lol:
Matt B
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scyther » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Hmm... I'll try this...

I can totally understand people not recognizing ASEs or something like that... but to think there are actually people who don't know what a half dollar is... that's just really sad...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:56 pm

97guns wrote:i like to give the cashier change after they input the amount in the reg, like if my bill is $14.32 ill hand them a $20, when they enter $20 in the reg i say wait i got .07 then they're really screwed, i had a girl call the manager one time :lol:

I hope a shopping cart maims you for a week in traction.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby amalekidad » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:49 pm

I pay my mortgage with halves. The bank loooooooves me!
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby CU Baker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:58 am

I have paid my propain bill with halves once and with zinc once.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aaa30040 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:32 pm

I can understand the confusion. I obviously know what a half dollar is, but have never in my life gotten one in change.
buying wheat pennies at $0.03 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
buying copper pennies at $0.014 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Postby natsb88 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:44 pm

My last couple years of college I often used halves and Ikes to buy my lunch. A couple of the older ladies almost always bought them out of the drawer right away. With most of the student employees, I had to explain them the first time :lol:
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:14 pm

Back in 2010, when I was sorting halves like there was no tomorrow, I paid for just about everything in halves! It was time consuming, but fun. Got a lot of funny looks when I walked around stores with a clothe bank bag full of fifty cent pieces. Some had to call their managers. One guy gave me an Ike dollar, saying it was a "large half"! :lol: :lol:

Congrats to everyone for helping spread "Constitutionally lawful money" around!! ;)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:31 pm

The local scrapyard uses halves in his payments all the time.... I just smile.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby rickygee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:37 pm

We have a hamburger joint in town that uses the old flame broiler that the now defunct Burger Chef chain used. Good burgers at a bargain price. Cult kinda place. Folks grew up eating "Burgers and Shakes" and they still do, so do their kids. This restaurant has been in bizznes since 1957. They have a coin changer that still dispences half dollar coins. People come in just to get the halves. I haven't recieved a 40%er in change at B&S in the last 4 years. However, I have picked up 7 40's thru the years. The folks here know what a half is.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby Economist » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:54 pm

@ Sheikh,

Glad you're having fun with halves, but what is this "Constitutionally lawful" business of which you speak? I hope to God you're not spending around 90%ers at face value! If it's clad halves you're using, there's nothing special about them; still fiat money, and somewhat inconvenient at that (relative to say, dollar bills). Hence the limited usage.
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Z00 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Economist wrote:@ Sheikh,

Glad you're having fun with halves, but what is this "Constitutionally lawful" business of which you speak? I hope to God you're not spending around 90%ers at face value! If it's clad halves you're using, there's nothing special about them; still fiat money, and somewhat inconvenient at that (relative to say, dollar bills). Hence the limited usage.

Constitutional in the fact that coinage is issued by the Treasury not the Federal Reserve.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:42 am

97guns wrote:just this morning i took my niece to the store and we stopped at mcdonalds for a breakfast burrito. i sent her in with $3.50 in halves and told her to buy 3 burrito's, she comes back with the 3 burrito's and 3 halves and said the lady told her they were dollars and only took 4 of them.

Good news for you: The clerk was a little dumb.
Bad news for you: She's probably smarter than the guy that made the burrito's.

Just saying, I've seen McDonalds from the inside. ^_-
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals