Any point in sorting copper cents by year/decade?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Any point in sorting copper cents by year/decade?

Postby bazmonkey » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Hey all, first post. Ever since I stumbled onto three rolls of silver dimes at work I've been sifting any coins of value in my spare time. Then, last week, I caved in and bought my first box. In that week I've been through four of them :-)

I'm not looking to make this larger-scale than I can hand sort... I simply don't have the space for what it would become. However, I don't want this to be a complete waste of time. The zero-risk aspect of returning copper for FV is appealing, but it would be a shame to do that.

So, the question... is it worth it in any way to bother sorting the coppers? I have them separated by decade just in case. Would I be able to get a better price if I was selling rolls of, say, 1970's cents rather than just assorted copper cents? If there's no real point I won't bother. I pick out wheat cents, anything foreign, etc. If I looked for 1959-1982 key dates I'd be here forever.

Thanks!
bazmonkey

Re: Any point in sorting copper cents by year/decade?

Postby reddirtcoins » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:23 pm

maybe one day but I think the rolls of BU will fair better one day. I've taken some time and sorted bags by the year and what a pain that was. But I have serveral 59-81 (bonus 82) lots. Firgure they will just stay stack for the daughter one day.
Last edited by reddirtcoins on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Well, I have done some sorting by decade with my stash of nickels. It's mostly for collector and archiving purposes rather than higher investment. I'm putting together at least 1 tube of nickels for every year and mint as far back as I'm able to find in the wild. We'll see what happens. With my pennies, I'm going only as far back as 1990 and stopping there.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bazmonkey » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Sorry... BU = ? Bulk unsorted?
bazmonkey

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:06 pm

bazmonkey wrote:Sorry... BU = ? Bulk unsorted?

Brilliant Uncirculated = Mint State.

And welcome to RC :)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby bazmonkey » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks... my next guess was going to be bulbous umbrellas, so you save me some embarrassment :-P
bazmonkey

Postby jacer333 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:01 am

Welcome baz! I bag up my coppers in $50 bags, and don't bother separating by dates. I think my excess sorting time is much better spent sifting through for wheats/indians/foreign coin.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypanner » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:43 pm

You won't find a BU coin in circulation. AU is about as good as it gets. Just sayin'.
pennypanner

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Welcome to Realcent!!

The only reason to sort coins by decade, year, BU vs GF, or what mint they came from is for numismatic purposes (coin collecting). Coin collectors will buy coins based on what they need to complete their collections. If you have a roll of ___fill in the blank___ and some guy needs that for his collection, he will buy it from you, and pay for the trouble you went to to gather it together.

Over a year ago I stumbled on a guy who wanted to sell his dad's collection of Washington quarters. This collection had every hard to find quarter I needed, so I could not shell out the money fast enough! Selling just one of those rare quarters would have paid for all the money I spent on the collection! Was I ever happy!! :D

Other than that, there is no reason to sort them by year. I still think you would want to sort the Wheat pennies from the rest of the copper cents. You can still sell Wheaties for a premium.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:54 pm

pennypanner wrote:You won't find a BU coin in circulation. AU is about as good as it gets. Just sayin'.

Never say never. I have found some beautiful BU cents. Mostly in CWR. If I think of it later, I could do a couple scans and post it up later on. I can't be the only one on here that has found some. A few mixed in rolls, and a few rolls of solid BU & AU coins. Even a couple bright red BU wheats (not cleaned) have popped up.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bazmonkey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Great info, thanks. I figured someone might want a roll of some year, but it doesn't seem worth the trouble. Perhaps I'll weed out the coins in better condition, along with wheats n such.

My big grrrr right now is that none of my banks in SF (chase, wells, bofa) will take loose coin. Bofa will for $5 per 20 lbs :-(. Rolling coins I don't want is no fun at all!
bazmonkey

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Just because a coin has been rerolled (as in sent back to brinks/whoever for re-rolling), does not mean it is in circulated condition. I can take the plastic wrap off a new DVD and the disc inside is still brand new. A decent trained eye will be able to spot that AU-58 coin out of the bunch.... For me its not really worth the hassle to pull them out. I personally do not pay much if any of a premium for AU/BU re-rolled or bagged silver....I would expect them same for the pennies. Besides you'll have plenty of time to go back and seperate it (when copper drys up) if it becomes worth while :)

Scott
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Welcome!
I would also say sorting by decade is a waste of time.

I do separate the BU's though, it only takes a second put them in another pile.

RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Welcome, I do pick out my shiners and put them in a different container. i'll put them in a wrapper sometime. I do separate my wheats into rolls by the year. I figure maybe they will be worth more later that way.
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:40 pm

bazmonkey wrote:Thanks... my next guess was going to be bulbous umbrellas, so you save me some embarrassment :-P

He said "bulbous" :lol
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:41 pm

NHsorter wrote:
pennypanner wrote:You won't find a BU coin in circulation. AU is about as good as it gets. Just sayin'.

Never say never. I have found some beautiful BU cents. Mostly in CWR. If I think of it later, I could do a couple scans and post it up later on. I can't be the only one on here that has found some. A few mixed in rolls, and a few rolls of solid BU & AU coins. Even a couple bright red BU wheats (not cleaned) have popped up.

I have MANY 2012 AU's!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:44 pm

bazmonkey wrote:Great info, thanks. I figured someone might want a roll of some year, but it doesn't seem worth the trouble. Perhaps I'll weed out the coins in better condition, along with wheats n such.

My big grrrr right now is that none of my banks in SF (chase, wells, bofa) will take loose coin. Bofa will for $5 per 20 lbs :-(. Rolling coins I don't want is no fun at all!

Since when do these banks not take loose coin??
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bazmonkey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:04 pm

I've tried two branches of each, that's the answer I get.
bazmonkey

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:51 pm

theshoenlebens wrote:Welcome, I do pick out my shiners and put them in a different container. i'll put them in a wrapper sometime. I do separate my wheats into rolls by the year. I figure maybe they will be worth more later that way.

Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:10 am

bazmonkey wrote:Hey all, first post. Ever since I stumbled onto three rolls of silver dimes at work I've been sifting any coins of value in my spare time. Then, last week, I caved in and bought my first box. In that week I've been through four of them :-)

I'm not looking to make this larger-scale than I can hand sort... I simply don't have the space for what it would become. However, I don't want this to be a complete waste of time. The zero-risk aspect of returning copper for FV is appealing, but it would be a shame to do that.

So, the question... is it worth it in any way to bother sorting the coppers? I have them separated by decade just in case. Would I be able to get a better price if I was selling rolls of, say, 1970's cents rather than just assorted copper cents? If there's no real point I won't bother. I pick out wheat cents, anything foreign, etc. If I looked for 1959-1982 key dates I'd be here forever.

Thanks!

Alot of the DDO's/RPM's/errors happen within a decade or two of each other. Many are within the 1965-1975 range, with your smattering from the 50's/early 60's to the early 80's.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing