Extract the Uglies?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Extract the Uglies?

Postby amalekidad » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:06 pm

I’m running lots o boxes through my Rydale. I’m taking the time to pick out the Ugly Abes before dumping the coppers in a 5 gal bucket. My question, why am I picking out the Ugly Abes? Are they really going to contaminate the rest of the hoard? Any guidelines? I’m currently rolling the Uglies and putting them in a $25 penny box.
Thanks – Ki’s Dad
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Re: Extract the Uglies?

Postby lance » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:25 pm

I throw all the coppers in together....the most i do is take out wheats and canadians
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Some do, some don't. I'd heard the green slime was particularly contagious so I kept them aside. Frankly, after sorting $1000 face I didn't have all that many uglies anyway....I sold them to a convenience store round the way for even money.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:39 pm

as I am pulling wheats, I put all the uglies in a tub. Figure some day I will clean them or unload them at a discount.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:56 am

amalekidad wrote:Are they really going to contaminate the rest of the hoard?

Set one on top of a nicer cent for a few months and find out.

Or just ask yourself if you'd be willing to leave an ugly rust covered washer sitting on a gun barrel for a few years. If the answer is no, then its probably best to pull out the uglies.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:21 am

I buy Uggs at 1.2 shipped. This way you don't have to cash for face, and they will no go back into circulation :)
TXBullion

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Ulglies?? What uglies....I call them copper with some character :) Mine all go into the same bucket regaurdless.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jacer333 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:12 pm

Hmmm thought about it....didn't do it. I throw any and all coppers together-I figure the BU's cancel out the uglies and it is all a happy family in the hoard :)
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:48 am

If the Ryedale says ok, I say ok :)

I'm saving the rejects to send back to the mint :lol:
http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9936&p=98611&hilit=mutilated+coin#p98611
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:15 am

TXBullion wrote:I buy Uggs at 1.2 shipped. This way you don't have to cash for face, and they will no go back into circulation :)

I've got hundreds of pounds of "unclean" separately stored and available at 1.2x to anyone visiting central florida for pickup. Not worth my trouble to ship at that price. :) Unless tinhorn perfects his cleaning process and accepts incoming at a reasonable fraction, that's where they will stay until the melt ban lifts, in which case they will be the first to be melted. The clean bags will stay stashed.

To all keeping them together: unless you can store in a truly dry location (rare, unless you are using vacuum, or O2 absorbers, etc) , pay attention to those above telling you to separate. In the presence of ANY humidity, corrosion will spread.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:53 am

I clean all my uggs. I bring them to work and they soak in acetic acid for a week, they get rinsed really good, then dried and rolled. They come out really shiney for the most part. I think I clean to many of them, but what the heck. it's something to do a slow day at work.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:30 am

I remove all my Uglies. Pack 'em separately in their own boxes. That way my COPPER is choice and clean... :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:54 am

Sheesh..... :cry: sure wish I had seen a thread like this about $1,000 face saved ago.... :roll: Are you all saying I need to go back now and RE Sort???
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby drummermatt » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:14 pm

I am a perfectionist, so for no really good reasons other than preventing Ryedale jam-ups and having nice clean buckets of copper, I take out all the ugly Abes and return them looking for more clean copper. I also remove the Canadians and set them aside, as well as the wheats (those I plan to sell once I get $50 worth), and IHs (those are for my collection). Finally, I also keep all the copper 1982s in their own bucket :)
drummermatt

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:56 pm

The uglies that I get end up going back into my dump bucket. I don't get very many of them, but when I do....I prefer to dispose of 'em!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheba » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:35 pm

The real uglies, like in the photo above, get tossed into the 'dump' bag to take bag for more pennies. I hand sort, so don't have a large quantity to deal with, but if they are not really ugly or 'icky', they get sorted with the rest of the coppers.

Since I don't keep any Zincolns except the wide AMs and other aberations of a normal cent, there is not storage problem for 83s on to date, for me.

But early on, I think I probably did save some 'gunky' ones. I just don't have the energy to go back and resort all of that. Hope the humidity is ok in my storage area...I think it is.
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby creshka46 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:55 pm

68Camaro wrote:
TXBullion wrote:I buy Uggs at 1.2 shipped. This way you don't have to cash for face, and they will no go back into circulation :)

I've got hundreds of pounds of "unclean" separately stored and available at 1.2x to anyone visiting central florida for pickup. Not worth my trouble to ship at that price. :) Unless tinhorn perfects his cleaning process and accepts incoming at a reasonable fraction, that's where they will stay until the melt ban lifts, in which case they will be the first to be melted. The clean bags will stay stashed.

To all keeping them together: unless you can store in a truly dry location (rare, unless you are using vacuum, or O2 absorbers, etc) , pay attention to those above telling you to separate. In the presence of ANY humidity, corrosion will spread.

I think you and me are of the same mind on this, Camaro. I do just about the exact same thing. I separate BU, clean, and ugly. I roll and box up the clean and BU (separately) and throw the uglies in a bin. I plan on sending the uglies to the scrap yard once it's legal, the rest will hopefully trade at a premium.
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing