Who Wants to Read The Big Silver Melt?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Who Wants to Read The Big Silver Melt?

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:31 pm

My ex-library copy is circulating among members. Country enjoyed it and passed it to Dr. Steuss.

If you'd like to read it, send him a PM. Your only cost will be to send it to the next person who wants to read it when you are done.

Thx, Ray ;)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Who Wants to Read The Big Silver Melt?

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Its a very interesting read! I think most everyone here would enjoy reading it.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Copper Catcher » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Send me a pm of the cliff note version... Please ;) other than the silver is melted... :lol:
Copper Catcher

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:56 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:Send me a pm of the cliff note version... Please ;) other than the silver is melted... :lol:

PM Dr Steuss if you'd like to read it ;)

it's really a fascinating read :)
beauanderos

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:28 pm

[Just Posting In Here To Make It Easier To PM Me]
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:Send me a pm of the cliff note version... Please ;) other than the silver is melted... :lol:

I know you of all people would love to read it. The book is like 78 (I think) pages long and has some pics! :D
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby madman326 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:47 pm

pm sent
madman326
Penny Collector Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:41 am

The book has officially been spoken for.

-------------

Next time it's available to be borrowed, I think you should jump on the opportunity to read it.

It's not the best written book on earth (it's not going to leave you reminiscing about Steinbeck, or Vonnegut), but it tells an interesting story about a fascinating time in American history. It basically tells the story of an illegal coin melting operation in the early days of the coinage composition change. It also provides estimates (based on insider knowledge gained from illegal smelters) on the changes to remaining mintage numbers of silver coinage.

Oh, and as highroller4321 points out, it also has pictures. :lol:
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:07 am

I'd like to be somewhere in line! :) Another big melt taking place is EVERY DAY coin dealers across America send most of their foreign silver coins to the melters.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:13 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:I'd like to be somewhere in line! :) Another big melt taking place is EVERY DAY coin dealers across America send most of their foreign silver coins to the melters.

The current "line" is scrapman1077, then Madman326, and then you Bill. Let's limit further requests at this time and we'll list it again in a few months when the current readers have finished with it. Madman... when you receive it (and finish it) you'll need to contact AGgressive Metal for his address. Bill... when you finish it, let me know and we'll repost the thread. Thanks, Ray :)
beauanderos

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:46 am

Great, thanks!
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby natsb88 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:59 am

I just found two reasonably-priced copies and ordered them. One is supposedly signed by the author. I'll probably put it in the next KSA :)
natsb88

Postby TXBullion » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:46 am

natsb88 wrote:I just found two reasonably-priced copies and ordered them. One is supposedly signed by the author. I'll probably put it in the next KSA :)

Thats exciting...
TXBullion

Postby TXBullion » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:47 am

i remember when that book was cheap and the blew up, probably because of all of us lol
TXBullion

Postby madman326 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:16 pm

sounds like someone needs to start up a realcent book of the month club!!!!!!!!! :lol:
madman326
Penny Collector Member

Postby goldsilverpro » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:39 am

I read it when it was first published and it is a fascinating read. At that time, the silver price broke away from it's standard $1.29/tr.oz. and this made the silver content in US 90% coins worth more than their face value. However, it was illegal to melt these coins at that time. Therefore, an underground business started up around the country. They melted these coins in massive quantities and the usual method was to add enough pure copper to the melt to reduce the silver content to 80%. That way, they could claim they were melting Canadian coins and most kept a few bags of Canadian coins lying around just in case. I knew of a guy that was a huge player in this. He claimed that he had used $60,000 worth of copper for this purpose during his melting days. As a ballpark figure, at about $.60 per pound for copper, that would mean he melted about 15 million oz of 90% coins.

These people weren't refiners and had to send the 80% bullion off to have it refined. At the time, there were rumors of several of the largest refiners being in cahoots in these operations.

If I remember right, a main purpose of the book was to show that, because of the meltdown, US silver coins were much more scarce than their mint quantities indicated. A similar thing happened to foreign silver coins in 1980 when huge quantities of them were melted down.
goldsilverpro

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals