Treasure for Treasure

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Treasure for Treasure

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:03 am

Sixteen years ago I was hiking up a mountain near Sedona, Arizona. My friend and I found some very unusual rocks. They sort of looked like fossilized bones with marrow. We collected up about 30 pounds and brought them down the mountain.

BOX OF ROCKS

MARROW BONE?

ANOTHER BONE?

The reddish stone in the middle of these rocks looked interesting, it Is smooth and shiny, so I took some to a rock shop and had them make a cabochon gemstone. It is 13mm x 11mm.

CABOCHON GEMSTONE

I put the box of rocks in the shed and the gemstone in a drawer and forgot about them for about a decade.

I came across them again and used the Internet to do some research. I learned that these rocks are fulgurites. They are made when lightning strikes the ground. The most interesting fulgurites are found in sand, usually on a beach.

The mountain in Arizona where I found these rocks is one of the most lightning-struck places in the USA. The strikes blasted and melted the sandstone outcroppings, creating the bone-shaped rock as the electricity discharged and the intense heat melted the "marrow" into reddish-pink fused silica.

Again, I mentally filed this information away as interesting, and stored away the rocks for some more years.

A few months ago, I mentioned all this to a friend who is sort of a faith healer and is quite aware of things most people do not experience. She is a pre-cog for earthquakes and has some interesting other-world abilities. Out of curiosity, I sent a sample of the fused silica to her, to she what she might say. She was amazed by the "energy" in the stone and encouraged me to take the cabochon out of the drawer and make a ring. She said it would assist with success, luck, and prosperity. Since those are attributes I can use more of, I decided to have a gold ring made.

The first jeweler said the ring would cost $2,400 to make, the second jeweler quoted $2,000. Both would take silver in trade for the gold and the labor, but only offered 80% of spot. Also, both wanted to charge me more than spot for the gold.

I decided to learn how to make the ring myself. I put an ad here on RealCent to trade silver from my treasure chest for gold at the G/S ratio. That worked OK, I got a fair deal on a 1992 gold Columbus 1/4oz coin and some scrap 14k and 18k rings.

I located a well-known silversmith who lives close to my town and negotiated a deal for him to teach me and use his shop and tools. He would take silver in trade for the additional gold shot I would need, and for his very reasonable $200 teaching fee.

I calculated the alloy I wanted to make, 17 Karat, using 71% gold, 14.5% silver, and 14.5% copper. This should have a rich gold color and be a bit harder than 18K. Monday this week, I went over to the silversmith's shop and began.

I had ordered several wax ring patterns. The one I wanted to use was kind of hollowed out on the inside, so it would take less gold to make the ring. I wanted a nice, heavy, substantial gold ring, so I melted one of the other wax patterns to fill in the hollows. The tool is used like a cross between a pen and a soldering iron. It melts and picks up a drop of wax which is then deposited where the build-up is required. The pattern was cut and stretched wider to fit my size 14 finger, and extra wax was added to fill the gap.

BUILDING UP THE WAX PATTERN

Extra channels for the molten gold are needed, to make sure the ring cavity in the investment plaster mold is quickly filled.

FINISHED WAX PATTERN

We mixed the plaster, put in under a vacuum dome to draw out the air bubbles and poured it into a steel cylinder surrounding the pattern to create the mold for the gold. Before the plaster set, we put it again under the vacuum dome to draw out the air bubbles. Two hours later, the mold was put in a 900F furnace to melt and vaporize out the wax, leaving the ring cavity for the molten gold. It stayed in the furnace at that temp overnight.

Tuesday morning, a propane/oxygen torch is used to melt the three metals

MELTING GOLD, SILVER & COPPER IN A CENTRIFUGAL CASTING CRUCIBLE

USING A CARBON ROD TO MIX THE ALLOY

After the molten PMs are well mixed, the spring is released on the centrifugal casting tool. In just an instant, the molten metal flies up the ramp in the crucible and enters the cavity in the mold. Before the tool stops spinning, the gold is hard again. We set the mold outside for 2 hours to cool. A hammer was used to break up the investment plaster to expose the new gold ring

A NEW RING, FRESH FROM THE MOLD

A jeweler's saw is used to cut away the sprue and channels. Using a set of increasingly fine files, the ring is cleaned and shaped. The cut away gold weighs 8.8 grams, about $320 worth of scrap gold.

FILING THE RING

The ring is hammered a bit to shape it and make it round on a mandrel. After hammering, it is annealed to relieve internal stresses in the metal, to prevent it from cracking.

ANNEALING GOLD

The ring is about half finished at this point. On the inside of the ring is some roughness and blemish. This area is ground with a high-speed, ball-tip rotary file, much like a dremel tool, to make an semi-random pattern to hide the imperfections.

HALFWAY DONE

Next, the ring is sanded with a rotary drum sander to remove the file marks. First pass is with about 150 grit, the second pass is done with about 300 grit. A soft polishing wheel is used with jewelers rouge to take out the sanding scratches and bring the gold to a lustrous polished finish.

The opening for the stone is carefully trimmed to allow the stone to just fit, with enough of a raised lip to hammer over the stone's sides to lock it in place. The world's smallest jackhammer is used to push the gold edge, 1/16th-inch at a time, locking the stone in place.

TINY JACKHAMMER USED TO LOCK THE STONE IN PLACE

And here is the finished ring.

The finished 17 Karat ring weighs 18.81 grams, the stone weighs 1.18 grams. It has 12.49 grams of .999 gold in the alloy. It required a day and a half of my time to make. At the times of the two trades, the value of the silver traded totaled $1,316.54. About $250 of that will be recouped by recycling the scrap gold.

I used a wire-making tool on one of the scrap channels to make some wire to be saved. It could be used as solder from the same alloy, if the ring should ever need repair, or resizing. The remaining 7.2 grams of 17K scrap will go to Market Harmony to be recycled.

My cost for the gold for the ring, and for the teacher was:
two 10oz Engelhard bars
twenty-four 1oz rounds and one 1oz bar
four Morgans
one Benjamin half
one Washington quarter
one Roosevelt dime;
plus a Mercury dime and another Roosie for the melt.

Treasure for treasure.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Treasure for Treasure

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:05 am

Fascinating.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 97guns » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 am

thanks for sharing the process
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:18 am

Turned out very nice. I like your alloy choice as well, rich color with durability.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby fasteddy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:30 am

Fantastic...this is a great post...thanks for sharing your experience in hand crafting your new gold ring. I just had a 18k white gold ring hand made with a bunch of rocks installed for my wife...I used a pile of Jackson's for the trade and missed all the excitment of the build.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 am

Cool adventure!! Thanks for sharing your story!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Oakair » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:53 am

Ill have to keep an eye out for those lightning struck rocks at the tops of the 14ers around here...Rocky Mountain National Park gets quite a bit of lightning above tree line...Does it have to be sandstone? Im assuming thats what gives it the glassy gemmy quality, but I wonder what other types of rocks would result in...

Really neat post and love the final product man!
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:59 am

Oakair wrote:Ill have to keep an eye out for those lightning struck rocks at the tops of the 14ers around here...Rocky Mountain National Park gets quite a bit of lightning above tree line...Does it have to be sandstone? Im assuming thats what gives it the glassy gemmy quality, but I wonder what other types of rocks would result in...

Really neat post and love the final product man!

Fulgurites vary widely. The starting material makes all the difference. One can put out a box of sand, mixed with chemicals, and a lightning rod. Chemicals could be titanium dioxide, aluminum oxide, etc. Every situation would produce a different outcome.

I have more of the pink fused silica, I will sell some of it, but I need to get a rock saw to cut pieces.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby theshoenlebens » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Great story and pictures. 8-)
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jesse1111 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:24 pm

Lot of work, at least now I see why such the high markup on jewelry.
An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.
jesse1111
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Chief » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Super cool! 8-)
And I was happy with my 1964 Kennedy 90% silver Ring. Your ring is much nicer!!! :D
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby deacon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:40 pm

Looks awesome!
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rosco » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:27 pm

Great pictures an story :D
Last Feb in Quartzsite I made a Silver ring by the Soldering process much the same but yours is much better looking an more valuable, did you stamp the percent of Au in side the ring most computations of value use even % 10, 14, 18, 22, 24?
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby madman326 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:42 pm

by far the coolest post i have ever seen on here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
madman326
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Rosco wrote:Great pictures an story :D
Last Feb in Quartzsite I made a Silver ring by the Soldering process much the same but yours is much better looking an more valuable, did you stamp the percent of Au in side the ring most computations of value use even % 10, 14, 18, 22, 24?

The silversmith did not have a stamp for "17K". It could also be stamped the European mark, "710". I can do that anytime, if I ever find a stamp set for that.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheba » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:23 pm

Very nice!!!!
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby stash » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:12 am

Very cool... thanks for sharing.
stash

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:14 am

What an education!! I love learning new things and this was amazing info!!
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:55 am

Awesome story, IC! Thanks for sharing!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OtusLotus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Freakin' AWESOME!!!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:28 am

This is a great story and I really like to see the progression of images to finished product. I hope your friend is right and the ring brings you good luck. It looks great, too!
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:54 am

Cool post!

Now you have given me hope on all of them gold colored rings I find with no hallmarks! They all must be handmade! Guess I'll crack out the metal detector this evening!

Great pics, too!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:26 pm

speaking of treasure for treasure, I received a package from IDCu which contained some gold sprus and some peppered jerky... not sure which I find more valuable!!! :D
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:40 am

Thank you to everyone for their nice comments. People who see the ring and ask about it make appreciative comments, and are always interested it the story behind it. I will enjoy wearing it for many years.

I melted a 1/4-oz Columbus 1992 gold coin, a Mercury dime, a Roosevelt dime, some gold shot, and some copper shot to make the alloy. When the silversmith who was teaching me was working the gold alloy, he commented that it seemed about as hard as 14K alloy. He said every combination has different characteristics, and the hardness can vary a lot.

Only time will tell if my luck improves from wearing the lightning stone.

Cheers!
Greg
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:44 am

Regardless, it's a great story, and if you have someone to hand it down to, a priceless heirloom...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals