Tellers sorting orders

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Tellers sorting orders

Postby reddirtcoins » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:26 am

I'm glad this is not me but, 3 people I know from across the state over the last few weeks have had tellers sort their orders before they get them. The last one even bragged about how she only found 3 - 40% when she was handing over the coins. All have told the tellers not to sort their items. One I know has stopped. I guess it is a sign of the times.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Tellers sorting orders

Postby Saabman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:41 am

WOW!!! I've never heard of tellers opening up boxes and sorting through them prior to the customer picking them up. That seems like it would be illegal and just plain wrong!!! Why didn't they report it to the manager?
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:28 am

What's illegal about it? It's the bank's money until you trade them bills and walk out the door with it. If the bank has a policy forbidding tellers from sorting through coins, then it would be "wrong" internally, but otherwise it's just annoying :lol: Banks are private institutions, they aren't public service organizations.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby db23 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:32 am

That's just strange, why would they openly tell the customer that they looked through them?

So are they unrolling 1 end and then just folding it back down after checking the roll?
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Bluegill » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:15 pm

What natsb88 said is true.

However, if a teller told me they sorted through them first and found Ag, I would refuse delivery of said coins. Then explain to the manager why. You're buying them to sort through looking for Ag. If the teller already sorted through them and got the Ag, why in the hell would a person want to buy them at that point.

Even if a teller didn't fess up, I would refuse to take delivery for the aforementioned reason if the boxes were opened and the rolls also showed obvious signs of being opened.

If a teller wants to search halves, fine. They can order their own, and deal with how to dump them somewhere else, on their own...
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Oakair » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Realcenters are getting smarter...

It seems some of our flock has infiltrated the banks with the best dump scheme yet! Dump on people who ordered halves :lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Gotta say, if a teller already presorted an order that I made....it would annoy me to say the least. What would be the point of ordering coins then?? Especially to find silver!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Oakair wrote:Realcenters are getting smarter...

It seems some of our flock has infiltrated the banks with the best dump scheme yet! Dump on people who ordered halves :lol:

I need to get my wife another job. ;)
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:48 pm

if a teller sorted through my box of coins they would find out what a "Dump bank" is! :twisted: she'd be so tired of looking at half dollars by the time I got done.... :lol:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:56 pm

I think they are hard up for cash like most other people. A 4th bank 55 miles out just sort through a bag and re-bagged it. This isn't looking good.
How do I know? the person picking up the bag was told by another teller. Needless to say, I think I would have declined the bag.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numis Pam » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:06 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:I think they are hard up for cash like most other people. A 4th bank 55 miles out just sort through a bag and re-bagged it. This isn't looking good.
How do I know? the person picking up the bag was told by another teller. Needless to say, I think I would have declined the bag.

Sheesh!!! I sure hate to hear this! I am only about 140 miles or so from your area .... and I know in one of the small banks in my town No one gets halves that have been unsearched cause they let one man search them all... He has done this for years! He is a bank board member or something of the sort...
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:05 am

I walked into a local bank a while back and they were emptying the 1/2 dollar bag.. I asked if I could buy it and they said yes... then the head teller started sorting thru the bag. She said "we have to count it" I said do you look for silver? she said yep... I told her never mind and walked out...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:41 am

Yep....my favorite penny pick-up bank does it. The ladies were kind enough to let me in on their action. I had asked about ordering boxes of halfs. They told me they go through the halfs and then re-roll the coins. Smart bunch of gals. At least they were nice to tell me before I got a few skunks. And, I always ask if any have been cashed in the their machine. Last time they looked and there were only 10 or 12 halfs in there. She then proceded to weed out a 1967 40%er. I asked if I could buy it....she just winked at me. :roll: Like I said....a smart bunch of gals!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby jtlee321 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:13 am

This reminds me of an event about a year and half ago. I walked into a local BofA and saw that a guy just in front of me had brought in a bunch of half dollars to cash in for Christmas money. I saw that the teller that had helped him stacked them all on the counter. When it was my turn I asked to purchase all of the half dollars. The teller that helped me proceeded to count the halves. I could see a silver edge among the stack of clad. As the teller arrived to the silver 90% she set it aside. I immediately said "I can't have that one?" She replied "I collect the silver ones." To which I replied firmly "So do I." She glanced up at me and reluctantly put the silver half back onto the pile she was counting out for me. I was prepared to tell her to keep all the other half dollars if I was not going to get the 1 silver half. The only reason I was buying all of them was because I spotted the silver edge among all the clad. I knew right then that this would be a good dump location.
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby BamaJoe » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:39 am

Yes, boys and girls, alot of tellers do sort the silver out. The little island girl (my wife) goes thru everything that comes into her branch and at least around here most of the banks have at least one teller who does the same. That's why I don't even ask for cwr's when I'm in a bank - I've found it to be a total waste of time in my area.

On the plus side (for me) the wife brings it home to me. Some of you might be able to work out a deal for the silver the tellers sort and keep out. There are about 15 banks in the area that have tellers who call me or my wife from time to time and tell us that they have some silver to sell. I'm straight up with them and tell them that I'm not paying full price for it, but they like the convenience of me buying it instead of them having to shop around for the best price and then having to go there each time they want to sell. They call and I show up at their branch with the cash. I usually pay around half of melt - picked up 12 90%'s and 7 40%'s a couple of days ago for $70.

Now, that said, sorting someone's boxes that they ordered does seem low. I wouldn't even take them if they had been opened.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:27 pm

I made a deal with one head teller: I'd give her all the silver I found in the reject tray if she gave me the Canadian. Guess who is way ahead. :D

There's one branch nearby where every single person who works there knows as much about coins as we do. You couldn't get a war nickel out that place. They just don't see the upside to copper...yet.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby christostock » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm just curious what you guys think!
If the bank that is doing the sorting of orders before delivering has been a dump bank in the past,
why the hell wouldn't they pick the good stuff out?
I kinda see this whole game as a huge waste of time for the banks and If I were a bank manager I would be pissed beyond belief if I were a dump bank and/or if my tellers were spending my (on the clock) time sorting for their own benefit.
Also, if I were a bank manager and caught wind that my employees were spending time counting and sorting coins that were returned from sorter I would make certain that there would be a fee for this service unless you had a legitimate business reason for having so many coins.
Just trying to see the other side of the equation here to ordering coins just to sort through them and why you guys are so pissed at the banks which you are trying to take advantage of??

Go ahead!!! I am prepared for my beating now ;) :lol:
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals