something to consider

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

something to consider

Postby lance » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Was thinking about all of us taking copper pennies out of circulation and the fact that we might want to invest in a few sets of pennies in good condition to hang onto for the nusimatic value down the road...anyone think about this?
lance
Penny Collector Member

Re: something to consider

Postby Sheba » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:04 pm

I think its a wise idea, but I wonder if those who can afford them, might be even wiser to invest in the really hard to find/rare? pennies ... such as the 1909 SVDB, the 1914D, etc. They are expensive, but the rarity value would seem to make them more desirable (at least for those who can afford such ... there's some good ones obviously in the Indian Head pennies as well. Again, for those who can afford to invest that way.

On the other hand, if the worst case scenario hits, maybe very few would be interested in spending money they need for food, medicine, etc., on expensive numismatic coins.

I'll sure be interested in hearing what some of the 'pros' on this forum think.
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby lance » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:20 pm

I get what your saying....but a svb is gonna run ya $600 at least...you can pick up a 1959-1982 penny set for like $20 give or take...depending on condition...it would be alot cheaper investment...and once we start melting these coppers down....these coppers in good condition could be as rare as a svdb
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby jacer333 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:09 am

Nope, I just don't see it. When push comes to shove and times are tough, people will trade based on metal value only, and any numismatic mark-up will go out the window. I say keep piling on the copper from circulation.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:24 am

When I have the time to sort for wheats and copper Canadians, I always set aside the Lincoln Memorial coppers that are in exceptional condition. As I was doing this, I happened to come accross a wheat that almost looked like it was uncirculated :o

I figure that I'll pass the Lincoln Memorial coppers that are in exceptional condition on to my grandkids someday and let them sort 'em by date and create sets. Why not?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby Robarons » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:31 am

BU Rolls of 1958 Wheat pennies have some good value- maybe up to $20
BU Rolls of 1959 Pennies are lucky to get $3 each

Even the more desirable wheat backs only catch $20 a roll if your lucky, and 1959 pennies using this design, Memorials, would get $3 a roll if your lucky
This is a cut and dry example but to keep any BU amount of coins, in this case 60 years, really dont give you a return

Yes S-mints and maybe if your lucky a BU roll of 1919's might change the equation- but to have kept those in their respective times isnt really possible.

With coin investments here are my 2 cents, either go Bullion straight for the value or rarity and buy the desirable dates.
If your lucky you will get good dates thru your bullion purchases (it is possible)
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby flbandit » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:41 pm

I keep several collections in addition to my hoard. I always get the best I can for a collection, but look for the cheapest for the hoard.
flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheba » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Derek.Sheriff wrote:When I have the time to sort for wheats and copper Canadians, I always set aside the Lincoln Memorial coppers that are in exceptional condition. As I was doing this, I happened to come accross a wheat that almost looked like it was uncirculated :o

I figure that I'll pass the Lincoln Memorial coppers that are in exceptional condition on to my grandkids someday and let them sort 'em by date and create sets. Why not?

I do that as well ... set aside the Lincoln copper Memorials that look really super nice. And of course any wheat penny that has a shine too it as well.

But I think what has been mentioned is well worth considering. If things really go down the tube ... numismatic rarities (except maybe a few in up there in the stratosphere) won't buy food and other needs as easily as common copper, silver, etc. Just my thoughts ... worth maybe less than 1/2 cent :D
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:10 pm

Hmm... I have some doubt that people would accept copper for food in a crisis situation.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:25 pm

I am choicing a set of cents from 1909 to current. I am also throwing in errors, proofs etc.

I have my bullion cents and my choice set (of which I update frequently).

I will probably cull and grade when I get ready to sell.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Depends on crisis. Food shortage crisis (like a 60% drought in the US for several years) no amount of paper or metal will probably be tradeable.

Currency crisis, metal is much like having emergency water around - you will need enough of it to get you through a peso $1000 for $1 new peso type scenario.

The real world is based on physical goods. A 100,000 head chicken farmer is much much more likely to sell to someone pound for pound for copper than any amount of paper if the US continues to print a Trillion or so every other year. Otherwise, look to be paying $1 or more per ear of corn.

A fresh pineapple in Nunavut Canada (capital city of NWT) costs $15. If the world moves to a global currency, prices will tend to shift towards a more normalized equilibrium.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:37 pm

Thousands of BU (Mint State) common cents are sitting in collectors albums already. Just go to a large coin show and you'll find tables of dealers lugging around folders of BU cents to sell to collectors wanting to fill holes. You'll find many more sellers then buyers at these shows.

If anybody wants to keep BU cents for a collection, go for it! (I keep a dansco album.) Just don't plan to cash them in for huge money someday. If their common today, they will be common years from now.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:38 am

The other trick is to collect #2 whitman penny albums, they can be had cheap to free almost. Fill those, they go for $10-$15 on ebay, shipped?, move em and dilute the market, might help us get to melt days faster.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Numis Pam » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:43 am

everything wrote:The other trick is to collect #2 whitman penny albums, they can be had cheap to free almost. Fill those, they go for $10-$15 on ebay, shipped?, move em and dilute the market, might help us get to melt days faster.

Where can I get those albums cheap? All the ones I find are new and about $4.00 each .
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:05 am

Even if SHTF does happen, I'll still give someone a good premium for a S-VDB over a 81 copper. So while I acknowledge that numi stuff would take a hit in a terrible economic situation, I also know that there will always be a premium of some sort on the deserving coins. SHTF could be a good numi buying opportunity. Depressions don't last forever (unless Obama somehow discovers the fountain of youth).
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing