Another Feebay Surprise....GOLD SCORE!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Another Feebay Surprise....GOLD SCORE!

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:04 am

I saw this little auction of 7 rings. I liked the look of an US Army ring. And a cheap looking high school ring got my eye. To top it off a couple of guys were bidding the junk rings way up. But then I took a look at this other ring a little harder. I blew up the pic as big as possible looking for flaking or anything that would say......I'm a junk ring....quit dreaming!!!!

Anyway, I took the chance and put my final bid of $55 for the lot. I wasn't going any higher. I won with a $51 bid + $2.50 to ship! That would make the rings $8+ ea. I could live with that gamble. Well they came today and I took the package and my loupe to work with me.

I check the HUGE Army ring...hallmark says "gold filled"! SHOOT!!!(possible salesman example copy)

I check the high school grad ring...."HGE"...! DANG!!!!!(again a possible example ring)

I check the other 4 rings and they are either "HGE" or no mark. Junk but 2 had cool stones or crystals in them. :D

And last I check the one that I was eyeballing with a fine tooth comb.....!!!!!!!! I grab it and I like the weight....come on baby!!!!!!!

I eyeball inside the ring looking for "HGE"....and I see 14X.....????? What the heck is 14X?????

I now crack out my loupe and look again....it's not 14X.....14K BABY. And I'm guessing at least 10 grams but no bigger than 15 grams. And it has 3 possible diamonds, too! It's a cool "nugget" style ring!!!

Not bad for $53.50 shipped!!!!!!!!

Pics coming tomorrow morning and I'll add the listing so you can see what I saw.

WOO HOO!!!!!!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Another Feebay Surprise....GOLD SCORE!

Postby tractorman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:56 am

All right! Nice one!!
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:22 am

Here's the link to the ended auction....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251119111607?ss ... 1439.l2649
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:24 am

Pics coming.....13.47 grams 14K.......just weighed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's what I got...

A left handed man's pinkie ring!!!!!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby theshoenlebens » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:19 am

Nice, wish I knew more about that kind of thing. I guess that is next. LOL
One question, the diamonds--what do you do with them. Hoard? sell to a retailer?
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:46 am

I still need to acid test the ring. You never know. I've found at least 5 gold chains with gold hallmarks that were fakes. So, the ring and stones may be just that...fake. But everything looks and feels right. The diamonds, if real........no clue.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:26 am

I actually have a pawn store owner nearby who is VERY fair in diamonds. He is trained as a jeweler, knows his stuff and will cut them out for me. Nice relationship.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheba » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:42 pm

My LCD who is, as far as I can tell from business with him over the years, very honest, bought a ring from me (10K ir 14K....can't remember). It had a some very small diamonds. He wouldn't pay any extra for them ... said the very small ones like that (that are found in lots of jewlery) are not worth anything in terms of resale (my words expressing what I think he was telling me)

Do you guys (and gals) agree with this ... are the tiny little diamonds in rings, earrings, necklaces, etc. really not worth anything ...only the scrap gold?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Sheba wrote:My LCD who is, as far as I can tell from business with him over the years, very honest, bought a ring from me (10K ir 14K....can't remember). It had a some very small diamonds. He wouldn't pay any extra for them ... said the very small ones like that (that are found in lots of jewlery) are not worth anything in terms of resale (my words expressing what I think he was telling me)

Do you guys (and gals) agree with this ... are the tiny little diamonds in rings, earrings, necklaces, etc. really not worth anything ...only the scrap gold?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Les Gold of Hardcore Pawn has stated constantly on the show that with diamond jewelry he buys, if it's not worth selling as-is, he'll melt it down and sell the diamonds to a wholesaler for pennies on the dollar ($10 per carat?).
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheba » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:26 pm

Yup....that sounds just about exactly what my LCD said. He wouldn't buy the diamonds that small, but would take them as part of the ring without paying any extra. Sounds honest to me. Thanks very much for that information!!
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:30 pm

I need some love people.....this ring is JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!

BRASS!!!!

I tried!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:18 pm

As with markets and emotions it is boom, bust. May better luck find you soon.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby OtusLotus » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:32 pm

That SUX!!!

Sorry man... Although brass is going for $2/lb at my local scrap yard!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:12 pm

OtusLotus wrote:That SUX!!!

Sorry man... Although brass is going for $2/lb at my local scrap yard!

TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby mflugher » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Diamonds under 10 pts. are generally of junk quality, average jewelry small diamonds wholesale around $50-70/ct. at least thats the best I can get for them selling in 100+ ct lots. We pay about a 15% premium on the gold you bring in if it has melee diamonds in it, just so we can say we are giving something for the diamonds, it is probably a money loser actually, but if I make a buy I'm happier than if I don't make a buy so we do it.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals