help grading a barber dime from crs...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

help grading a barber dime from crs...

Postby tedandcam » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Condition and luster made me think this was a 2000 series canadian or some other foriegn coin....what a surprise when I realized it was a 1912d barber... can anyone help me with a grade on it? Thanks for your help

Ted
Attachments
back of 1912 dime.JPG
back of 1912 dime.JPG (30.71 KiB) Viewed 367 times
Front of 1912 dime.JPG
Front of 1912 dime.JPG (11.6 KiB) Viewed 367 times
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Re: help grading a barber dime from crs...

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:47 pm

WOW!
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:14 pm

easy high xf-au details ......nice dime :)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Numis Pam » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:08 am

Sweet one! You got this from roll searching??!!!!!
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:59 am

Wow, nice! Impressive find. This is from a customer wrapped roll? Any other goodies in there with it, or was it just this with a bunch of clad?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby stlouiscoin » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:39 am

I feel bad for whatever grandma got this stolen from here... but GREAT FIND!!!
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tedandcam » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 am

It came out of a Brinks box...along with 4 roosies from a total of 4 boxes...I also thought "Wow, someone took this from someone else and didnt realize what it was when they cashed it in"...Thanks for all the help!
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:45 pm

that's about a $60 dime :o
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rexmerdinus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:58 am

Nice details, but are you positive it hasn't been cleaned?
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby daviscfad » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:48 am

stlouiscoin wrote:I feel bad for whatever grandma got this stolen from here... but GREAT FIND!!!

Come on Man Grandma could have spent it. Dont know it was stolen. Someone also ould have planted it to gain interest
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:24 pm

rexmerdinus wrote:Nice details, but are you positive it hasn't been cleaned?

Yeah, looks too bright to be original. Looks cleaned.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tedandcam » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:32 pm

rexmerdinus wrote:Nice details, but are you positive it hasn't been cleaned?

No, I am not certain that it has not been cleaned. I am no expert, but it does not appear so to me. The reed has some dirt, but the side view details look really nice. I am thinking of taking it to my LCS to trade for bullion or 90%. See what he has to say. If I decide to keep it, I may see if one of the RCers with alot of experience would let me send it to them and see what they might think. A guy I work with that has been a collector all his life (62 yrs old) looked at it for me and said it might be AU55. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it. All that I do know is... I want to find another one :lol: Or at least another gift similar to it :D
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:59 pm

I can't help you with the grading, since I usually estimate too high and end up losing my A$$, but I've been burned with cleaned coins often enough that I can usually pick them out. First clue is lack of age patina where common sense says there should be some. Look for dirt in some spots but not in others--look close into the small corners of stars and close by the devices against the background. If it's cloudy or dirty there but not on the larger flat areas, it could be cleaned (think of wiping a coin with a paper towel--there are some spots close to the head and date and stuff that it is simply impossible to get to). Also, straight micro scratches all over the shiny parts--especially if they're parallel--can indicate improper cleaning or polishing. Unfortunately, some people think that if a coin has sharp details but a thick tarnish or toning, that cleaning will make it worth more. And a shiny background can sometimes confuse your brain into thinking other details are sharper than they are. Do you have a scanner that you can get a high-res image with?
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby tedandcam » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:47 pm

rexmerdinus wrote:I can't help you with the grading, since I usually estimate too high and end up losing my A$$, but I've been burned with cleaned coins often enough that I can usually pick them out. First clue is lack of age patina where common sense says there should be some. Look for dirt in some spots but not in others--look close into the small corners of stars and close by the devices against the background. If it's cloudy or dirty there but not on the larger flat areas, it could be cleaned (think of wiping a coin with a paper towel--there are some spots close to the head and date and stuff that it is simply impossible to get to). Also, straight micro scratches all over the shiny parts--especially if they're parallel--can indicate improper cleaning or polishing. Unfortunately, some people think that if a coin has sharp details but a thick tarnish or toning, that cleaning will make it worth more. And a shiny background can sometimes confuse your brain into thinking other details are sharper than they are. Do you have a scanner that you can get a high-res image with?

My daughter is gonna scan it for another post. Not sure of the resolution but, We'll see. I looked at with a 5x loupe just now and there are no micro scratches (parallel or otherwise) that would indicate cleaning. Looking at the details with the loupe reveal a "B" stamped into the bevel of the neckline that I hadn't noticed before. That "B" looks clean as the rest of the coin. I wouldn't think that spot would be clean if it had been "rubbed clean". I'm just a beginner though and am not always sure of what I am looking at.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:51 pm

Don't take it to the LCS. Sell or trade it here.

I just now opened this thread and my mouth dropped open. That is a beauty
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals