Remember the days when roll enders were common finds?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Remember the days when roll enders were common finds?

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:29 pm

Just thinking back to about 3 years ago when bringing home half boxes usually had a few rolls with 90% or 40% halves staring right at you in every box. Sigh. Now I get my thrills when I see silver prices drop for some reason. I mean, if it gets really cheap, many people will give up roll searching, right, huh?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Remember the days when roll enders were common finds?

Postby scyther » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:32 am

Nope. I feel jealous of you who were searching before prices got so high. I'm surprised silver was common even then, though. I would think almost all of it would have disappeared when the price skyrocketed in the '80s.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:17 am

scyther wrote:Nope. I feel jealous of you who were searching before prices got so high. I'm surprised silver was common even then, though. I would think almost all of it would have disappeared when the price skyrocketed in the '80s.

Yeah, you would of thought every single coin roll in this country and every coin collection would have been rifled through in 1980 when silver got near what is now approximately $130 now. We saw a fever when silver was in the $50 range last year. If silver price backs off and goes down,down, I think we could expect to see silver coins appear again like they used to. People will lose interest and collections will get deposited at banks like regular clad would be, etc. I just can not see all the stuff that has been re-found since 1980 having gone into the melter. One would think that a good deal of coin roll searchers would of stuck it out after 1980 and maybe we were getting their collections over the past 10 years or so via bank boxes?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby creshka46 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:50 am

scyther wrote:Nope. I feel jealous of you who were searching before prices got so high. I'm surprised silver was common even then, though. I would think almost all of it would have disappeared when the price skyrocketed in the '80s.

Ditto, I was even interested in coins from the 90's when I was a kid, but no one ever told me about silver :(
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals