Safe packing and shipping of high dollar shipments

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Safe packing and shipping of high dollar shipments

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:24 am

Focused on Gold, but equally applicable to anything else of high value. Obviously it is focused on US shipping. Extracted from an article just written by President of Miles Franklin, one of the larger bullion dealers in the US. Emphasis below is mine. Note especially the last sentence.

Packaging is the most important step in the process. It is very important to make sure gold coins are securely wrapped or packaged tightly in tubes. Even with tubes, it is not a bad idea to stuff a cotton ball inside the tube to eliminate rattle. The bottom line is one should err on the side of safety rather than under-protection.

The only way to securely mail gold is through the US post office. The post office offers a program called Priority Flat Rate. With free shipping supplies, Flat Rate options, and no weighing or calculating, the Priority Mail Flat Rate service is a simple way to ship. Delivery times are typically two days [except with registered mail, which this article covers - registered mail may take substantially longer to deliver due to the security requirements -68], and Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes are both fast and affordable.

After you seal the Flat Rate box with strapping tape, you will need to cover all the edges of the box top, bottom, and center with postal registered tape. Unfortunately, it is hard to find postal registered tape any place other than behind the counter at the post office; however - like the Flat Rate box - it too is free.

First, cut the registered tape to size, and activate the adhesive on the back with a damp sponge or paper towel. After sealing the box with strapping tape, apply the registered tape over all boxes seams. Anywhere someone could stick an exact-o knife blade into the box must be covered with the registered tape.

The last step involves simply addressing the box, and obtaining the registered receipt. You will declare the value of the contents on the registered receipt, but need not tell the postal employee what you are sending. My personal favorite response is "machine parts," but as long as the package does not contain hazardous material, it is none of their business!

In 23 years of business, we have never lost or not received a sent registered and insured package.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Safe packing and shipping of high dollar shipments

Postby Morsecode » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:43 am

Yep. Registered & Insured. Crazy to do it any other way.

Many years ago, I bought a kilo gold bar and naively had it shipped regular 1st Class mail. It got here safely, eventually...but it was a long 5 days :D
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rexmerdinus » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:12 am

+1

I ship anything over $1k via registered mail. It costs more and is slow, but it's well worth it for the peace of mind.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:59 pm

One of the tubes of ASEs I bought came open in the box. Lot's of rattles, none lost.

Tape tubes so the ends don't come off.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Received a Heart shape pillow in Small flat rate box with the gold pieces securely taped to inside of SFR box no rattles what so ever :D

I watch for that persons listings here 8-)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby creshka46 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:19 pm

I've found that plastic grocery bags are great packing material. They're free, and at least in my house, we end up with TONS of them that we otherwise would have no use for.
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:49 pm

creshka46 wrote:I've found that plastic grocery bags are great packing material. They're free, and at least in my house, we end up with TONS of them that we otherwise would have no use for.

+1 on that. I also fill them with half or dime wrappers. They work just as well as peanuts.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numis Pam » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:18 am

I appreciate reading the great information in this thread! Keep it comming... someday I may actually try to sell something instead of hoarding it all, just to prove to my hubby that my 'hobby' is actually a great investment.... right now he says it just costs him money ... all outgo and no income!! lol :P
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals