$3 face of pre-64 halves sold to me by teller at face

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

$3 face of pre-64 halves sold to me by teller at face

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:55 pm

Mondays I usually don't have any place to pick up orders of halves or pennies. However, during my lunch today I decided to stop by one of my pick up banks to try to buy a couple boxes of dimes to sort.

The teller knows me well. I asked her if she had any dimes to sell me and she said she did. I then asked her if she had any loose halves since I knew my order wouldn't be in until later in the week.

She said yes I have some loose halves and pulled out $3 face of halves. She said she ment to call me about them. I told her I must have ESP :-)

She had a '53 Franklin and a '37, '41, '42, '43, and '44 walkers. I of course had to ask her if she had any more halves or any of the other tellers and she said no. I asked her where she got them and she said one of her customers turned them in. They told her they were tired of seeing them in their drawer at home.

I was able to buy them at face. I told her I would bring her some chocolate when I picked up my order. She said that really wasn't necessary but you know that I am going to have to for this score :-)

Of the $195 in dimes, I did find one 1960 Roosevelt silver dime.

Not bad for not planning on going to that bank today :-)
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: $3 face of pre-64 halves sold to me by teller at face

Postby misteroman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:13 pm

WOW!!! great score. made ya a quick $50
Chocolates will assure your future success as well
Derek
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Zounds! It seems to me like you're always talking about tellers selling you all this silver at face...I need to meet these tellers!
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:35 pm

It is always younger tellers that I have befriended with candy :)

I don't think they realize the value and usually these are at banks I order so they know that I am wanting to buy all the halves I can.

To be honest, I dont think a lot of people realize the value. One time I showed a co-worked a 40% half I found and she wasn't too impressed. She said to me "I wouldn't know what to do with that; like how to cash it in"
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals