Counterfeit Engelhard 1-ounce silver Prospector rounds have

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Counterfeit Engelhard 1-ounce silver Prospector rounds have

Postby Redneck » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 am

Fake Round Can Cause Real Problem

Excerpt;

Counterfeit Engelhard 1-ounce silver Prospector rounds have surfaced. Engelhard was one of the most popular brand names of manufacturers of silver bars and rounds up into the mid- to late-1980s. Their 1-ounce round silver Prospectors are still highly desired by investors in physical silver, even though they have not been made for a quarter-century.

At the ANA show, another dealer brought a few pieces of counterfeit Prospectors to warn other dealers of their existence. The fakes, which showed up in Florida, had the proper diameter and thickness and weighed only about 0.5 grams light. Such pieces would almost certainly fool the general public as well as dealers who did not pay close attention. The bad pieces contained about 60 percent copper, 39 percent zinc and a smidgen of nickel, which was then silver-plated. The surfaces were mirror proof-like whereas most Prospectors have a frosty satiny look. The fakes at the ANA all had the large “E” in the center of the reverse inside a globe (as appeared on earlier Prospectors) rather than the eagle that was used on later Prospectors. If a few of these were mixed in a large batch of silver rounds, they could easily pass from hand to hand without notice.

http://numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article ... leId=25621

>
Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Counterfeit Engelhard 1-ounce silver Prospector rounds h

Postby natsb88 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:13 pm

These have been around for quite awhile. I saw a thread somewhere (may have been a different forum) with pictures. They look too proof-like and are slightly light.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Counterfeit Engelhard 1-ounce silver Prospector rounds h

Postby jasmatk » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Its going to get to the point where you will need to be a silver expert to buy.Thanks China!

I thought I had a fake eagle once,I was convinced it was fake so I took a dart and scratched it to expose the inner metal.now I have a silver eagle with a huge scratch in it. :oops:
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals