Is this a good coin book/album?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Is this a good coin book/album?

Postby scyther » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:12 pm

http://www.coinsupplyexpress.com/lincol ... -7100.aspx

Seems good to me. Anyone had any problems with this type of album?

I finally confirmed that the bags I'm getting aren't (very) light, so it looks like I'll keep searching for the foreseeable future, so I may as well start a collection!
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Is this a good coin book/album?

Postby bman » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:32 am

Dansco coin albums are pretty nice, tthats what I have for all of my coins. You mught find it cheaper at Wizard coin supply though. I also like the ones that have an extra sleeve that the album slides into for extra protection.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:01 am

We have that one and it working out great.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby just carl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Many people use Dansco Albums. However, note that there are many empty slots that have no items for those, they stay blank, empty. Some like Dansco due to their looks but then hide them away. Makes little CENTS. If you check out Wizard Coin Supply, you would see there are many other brands available. And if you don't place coin Albums out on display, why not save money and purchase a Littleton, Whitman, US Mint, Harris, etc.
just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:42 pm

just carl wrote:Many people use Dansco Albums. However, note that there are many empty slots that have no items for those, they stay blank, empty. Some like Dansco due to their looks but then hide them away. Makes little CENTS. If you check out Wizard Coin Supply, you would see there are many other brands available. And if you don't place coin Albums out on display, why not save money and purchase a Littleton, Whitman, US Mint, Harris, etc.

I already ordered it so it's kind of a moot point now, but... What do you mean by "empty slots that have no items for those"? I was thinking of buying a Whitman, but I heard the coins didn't fit in the slots very well and that it can mess up the color of the coins. Also you can't see the reverse, so Dansco's better in that respect, especially for the 2009s.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:05 pm

scyther wrote:
just carl wrote:Many people use Dansco Albums. However, note that there are many empty slots that have no items for those, they stay blank, empty. Some like Dansco due to their looks but then hide them away. Makes little CENTS. If you check out Wizard Coin Supply, you would see there are many other brands available. And if you don't place coin Albums out on display, why not save money and purchase a Littleton, Whitman, US Mint, Harris, etc.

I already ordered it so it's kind of a moot point now, but... What do you mean by "empty slots that have no items for those"? I was thinking of buying a Whitman, but I heard the coins didn't fit in the slots very well and that it can mess up the color of the coins. Also you can't see the reverse, so Dansco's better in that respect, especially for the 2009s.

In some Dansco they have Extra holes that do not have a date/mint for the holes, I just fill them with extra coins. As you can see in this one.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:19 pm

henrysmedford wrote:
scyther wrote:

In some Dansco they have Extra holes that do not have a date/mint for the holes, I just fill them with extra coins. As you can see in this one.

Hm I see. That's weird for a completed series like Ikes, I wonder why they would do that. For pennies, though, I'll just use those holes for shields, even though they aren't labeled.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:13 pm

scyther wrote:Hm I see. That's weird for a completed series like Ikes, I wonder why they would do that. For pennies, though, I'll just use those holes for shields, even though they aren't labeled.

If I were making these books, I would leave them as they are. Those extra holes make it so error/variety/oddity collectors can show off their cool stuff. And you can label it however you want since it's a blank opening. Notice the blanks at the end of the Lincoln wheat page.
However, I do find it odd that they printed future dates/mint marks at the end of the Lincoln book... those are a decade into the future. If the series is canceled before then, they will undoubtedly make a "replacement page" which would still have all the holes, but those would then be blank for all those "doubled thumb" types and stuff!
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby scyther » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Well, it arrived today. It looks nice. But I can't figure out how to get the coins in the pages (short of ripping them apart). Maybe I'm missing something obvious but looks like it's all sealed up... how do you get the coins in?
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Doesn't the plastic slide out the side of the page?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:37 pm

uthminsta wrote:Doesn't the plastic slide out the side of the page?

Yes -- See photo--
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:51 pm

I get now, thanks.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics