Silver at the bank

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Silver at the bank

Postby SilverChaser111 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:46 pm

BamaJoe wrote:Well folks, we should all be thrilled to have such an expert on nationalwide banking practicies. Bless your little heart SilverChaser :lol:

Arrogant AND smug. Wow, stop, you're making me all warm and fuzzy inside. :lol:
SilverChaser111
Penny Sorter Member

Postby SilverChaser111 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:25 pm

OtusLotus wrote:So, the bottom line (in my personal experience) is that the teller is NOT allowed to keep the change for themselves or for other tellers. BUT, they can tell you that they are saving the coin for another customer. And if that is the case, since it is going to another customer, chances are that you aren't going to see a thing!

This is pretty much my experience as well (which is all I was trying to share... my personal experience) It's what I have been told by every teller and manager I've talked to at at least four local banks in my area... except they have told me that they can set it aside for themselves and buy it after their shift IF no customers ask to buy it first. But apparently, I am DEAD WRONG :o It's not a big deal... just makes me appreciate my tellers all the more hearing that it's not my right to it. In fact, it makes me feel even better since they do always sell it to me... score! :lol:

I have been given the "Those are being held for one of our regular customers" speech... which I don't mind at all, because at other banks, I AM that customer that they are holding coins for so it all works out... no reason to be greedy ;)
SilverChaser111
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:27 pm

SilverChaser111 wrote:
Read my posts again... I never once said "It is illegal"... not even close..

by SilverChaser111 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:43 pm
Interesting... I have been under the impression that if you are inside a bank and you ask to buy coins from the teller, that it is illegal for them to refuse you in order to keep the coins for themselves.

seems pretty close to me. ;)

the tellers wont give me any coins.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tractorman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:32 pm

Treetop wrote:
SilverChaser111 wrote:
Read my posts again... I never once said "It is illegal"... not even close..

by SilverChaser111 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:43 pm
Interesting... I have been under the impression that if you are inside a bank and you ask to buy coins from the teller, that it is illegal for them to refuse you in order to keep the coins for themselves.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This guy is trolling on BS too.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby purple and gold » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:51 am

a guy i know was telling me just this morning that he knows the manager at the local walmart and that sometimes they get Silver Eagles in the cash drawer and the manager sells the AES's to him cheap
purple and gold

Postby SilverChaser111 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:41 am

Treetop wrote:

the tellers wont give me any coins.

Ah, come on... I said I was under the impression, which I was... I never claimed it to be a fact. ;)

That sucksyou should try finding a teller that seems friendly and bring in some chocolate or something for her. Get her to warm up to you... it's worth it. It's basically free money they're giving you... otherwise you're just stuck coin roll hunting. I average like one 90% half for every three to four boxes searched!! :o It hasn't been very profitable for me so far :lol:
SilverChaser111
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Treetop » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:10 am

I cant get coin rolls. They wont give me coins. chocolate wont help. I was doing it for awhile, and so was another person in town. then all the banks cut both of us off (or atleast said they cut him off to) and told me coins are only for business. they werent keeping up with business needs. This is a small town in the middle of nowhere. I tried again a long while later, different teller who liked me. she also told me the same thing. businesses only.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:23 am

Really...I will go back to the tellers and tell them the commotion they have started on the internet.

I feel for you Treetop...PM me your address and I will send you some unsearched boxes of cents, if you want.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:21 am

In my neck of the Redwoods the tellers are smart and grab the silver too. Too much childish hysterical laughter in this thread for me though. Read you in another one.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals