Least expensive way to mail small amounts of silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Least expensive way to mail small amounts of silver

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:06 am

I've been able to mail up to seven 90% dimes in a legal envelope with a forever stamp. I always take common sense concealment and anti-tampering measures, of course. But I'm looking for other ideas about how to ship small amounts of silver while keeping the cost of postage low. Thoughts?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Re: Least expensive way to mail small amounts of silver

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:15 am

You can use paypal to print first class labels for bubble mailers up to 13 ounces (not troy ounces).
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:02 am

Thanks! I noticed that when I try to do the same thing using the USPS clcik and ship, it doesn't have an option for printing a 1st class label for a large envelope, yet paypal does. Wonder why? Maybe I overlooked something on the USPS website.
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby db23 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:14 am

No, you didn't overlook - it's not there.

If you get a decent scale, you can confidently ship things for as little as possible. The FC labels through PP also include free DC.
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:18 am

Man, it's little tips like these that really make me appreciate the people on this forum!
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby daviscfad » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:32 am

db23 wrote:No, you didn't overlook - it's not there.

If you get a decent scale, you can confidently ship things for as little as possible. The FC labels through PP also include free DC.

actually its .19 cent
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:04 am

Also first class international is up 4 pounds great for sales and trades with are friends in Canada. Also if you ship coins in a Whitman folder it's considered media mail as it is book at that point and is dirt cheep to ship. :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks for everyone's input! After doing some calculations (I'm going to have to spend some more time researching media mail and Whitman folders), it would seem that sending 7 silver dimes with a 1st class forever stamp is still the cheapest way to send a small amount of silver. It comes out to about .5 troy oz of silver for 44 cents. Not bad IMHO :geek:

I haven't done the calculations, but I would have to guess that the medium or small flat rate box filled to maximum capacity would still be the cheapest way to ship just about any metal. But at that point, I would guess that shipping cost is less of a concern than insurance precautions.
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby db23 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:07 am

daviscfad wrote:

actually its .19 cent

Use the multi-ship feature and it's FREE.
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:28 am

db23 wrote:
daviscfad wrote:

actually its .19 cent

Use the multi-ship feature and it's FREE.

Technically it's 19 cents. But it just shows up as part of the postage rate, not a separate line item, since it's not optional.

I would caution against Media Mail. It's super-slow, and in my experience, has a higher rate of loss.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Derek.Sheriff wrote:Thanks! I noticed that when I try to do the same thing using the USPS clcik and ship, it doesn't have an option for printing a 1st class label for a large envelope, yet paypal does. Wonder why? Maybe I overlooked something on the USPS website.

For some odd reason, the USPS website doesn't do First Class Parcel postage. Or anything other than Priority and Express.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals