Funny and sad!!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Funny and sad!!

Postby Treetop » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:42 pm

A friend of mine that I convinced to get into silver emailed me today. I convinced him when silver was around 14.

He also asked me where he should keep it. I told him to keep it in several spots. some offsite, maybe a safety deposit box for some, hidden around the house. buried. Whatever, just multiple spots. dont talk about it to others, you never know who might turn, people get weird with shiny stuff.

anyway, because of that its no MY fault, that when he moved recently he left some hidden in the wall of his last home! He wasnt to happy that I find this hilarious either. I cant stop laughing. :lol: maybe Im mean but thats just funny.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Funny and sad!!

Postby barrytrot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:44 pm

That is funny.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby barrytrot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:45 pm

I just remembered that I had a hidden stash that I lost for 2 years before I could find it. I went on excursions looking for it 4 or 5 times and finally found it :)
barrytrot

Postby Treetop » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot the other part of the story...

So he calls up, well Im not sure who he called, but whoever is in possession of the place now. Told them he left some stuff there and asked if he could get it. Of course they say!! But we're a bit confused, there was nothing in the house when we got it. What did you leave? He didn't know what to say to that and he hung up!! :lol: :lol:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:00 pm

To be found in 2056 by some lucky remodeler :D

My grandmother disapproved of guns. When my grandfather died, she dropped a consec. serial numbered pair of German Luger bring-backs behind a plaster wall in the kitchen. Naturally, no-one in the family knew about it until long after she moved out of the place. Yeah, that one still hurts.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Treetop » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:00 am

Only two people other then me found this funny enough to respond? ahh come on, no one will be starving at his house. he is pretty well off.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:32 am

Here's a great hiding place for stackers---for $20 or so, and many times for free on craigslist, you can pick up one of those 31 inch TV's from the '90s that have those huge rear covers and are so heavy it takes two people to carry it. Set the TV up in a bedroom or extra room and plug in all cables and cords to make it look like its used regularly as opposed to just being a "dummy" TV. Those huge rear covers can hold a very large amount of silver when stored correctly. In fact you can even remove many of the TV's electrical components to add even more space inside the cover!

Any burgler whose in a hurry rummaging through your home will only be looking for small items of large value he can carry out. Even if two or more thieves are randsacking your home they won't consider for second wasting their time and putting forth the effort to carrying off a near worthless 150 pound, obsolete TV when there is probably a computer, printer, flat screen TV and other much lighter and valuable electronics at hand.

Just remember both time & space are a premium for home invaders and a worthless, huge 150# old TV is the last thing they would want!!! :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby daviscfad » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:38 pm

what would be funny is if he would go back to the house to rescue the rest of his hoard
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:47 pm

how much silver did he leave? :shock:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Oakair » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Hey, can I tear down that wall really quick...I'll plaster it back up, just need to grab something...

Lol...funny situation :lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Oakair wrote:Hey, can I tear down that wall really quick...I'll plaster it back up, just need to grab something...

Lol...funny situation :lol:

That was exactly what I was thinking in my head.

The better method would be to just say, "hey I used to live here do you mind if I get something out of the dining room?" They say, "ok, but I don't recall anything being left." Before they change your mind you run in there with a sledge hammer that was previously concealed in your shirt and tear a hole in the wall.

You then turn, laugh and say, "oh it was just inside the wall. Did I not mention that?"

They stand in awed silence.

You say, "don't worry I brought spackle."
barrytrot

Postby Treetop » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:54 pm

bman wrote:how much silver did he leave? :shock:

I hadnt even bothered to ask. It seems it was 100 face in 90%, a roll of morgans and some number of ASEs. He wasnt even sure himself on the ASEs apparently. A few rolls. Im told the morgans were semi numismatic. Not sure if that just means pre 21 or what.

funnier part is he just told me he apparently had a second stash he almost left at the place, and grabbed it at the last minute, relieved he didnt make a big mistake.

he still seems to thinks its my fault for all this for telling him to use multiple locations. but as far as im concerned PMs are in part an insurance policy, and as such its wise to spread them out should the worst happen. whether its fire, robbery, a bank being robbed (safety deposit boxes) or maybe you cant even get into the bank the time you truly need it, or whatever... I still think Im right.

Hes still trying to figure out a way to get it. No need to shed a tear for him though. Hes still got most of his stash, and is otherwise well off. this is an old friend from school. He did well. Even selling the house and building another for cheaper I guess he made out well, even in the current markets. considering where he is, thats a feat imo.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby No82s » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:37 am

That's a new one. A lot of people lose their stash boating, but if you leave it in the wall of your old house; who knows what happened to it.
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:43 am

If this happened to me, I would just tell the new owners the truth and offer half of the stash as their share for letting me recover my PMs. If they say 'no,' I wouldn't tell them which wall. Better get back half than none. Maybe just offer 10% and a professional repair job to start the negotiations.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:31 am

shinnosuke wrote:If this happened to me, I would just tell the new owners the truth and offer half of the stash as their share for letting me recover my PMs. If they say 'no,' I wouldn't tell them which wall. Better get back half than none. Maybe just offer 10% and a professional repair job to start the negotiations.

I actually wrote him back tonight and told him he should play it like its buried. As I understand this is in a wall the doesnt need torn down to get into. he didnt use specifics, but I imagine a panel inside a closet or something? Im not sure. taken apart, but not torn down. So if he said it was inside they might look around and check themselves.

I will let you guys know if he ever gets in there to get it.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:51 am

Then I would not call in advance, I would show up at their door with a friend as a witness. Then just ask if can go inside to recover some hidden mementos from my Grandfather, that were hidden and forgot to take when moved out.

Most people would let you do that.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:00 am

IdahoCopper wrote:Then I would not call in advance, I would show up at their door with a friend as a witness. Then just ask if can go inside to recover some hidden mementos from my Grandfather, that were hidden and forgot to take when moved out.

Most people would let you do that.

+1 - This is what I would do.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals