Platinum Jewelry or scrap

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Platinum Jewelry or scrap

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 am

I learned the easy way that when it comes to precious metals, buying bullion coins or bars are the way to go for me and I've avoided numismatics. I'm able to find silver and gold bullion at spot price or with a small premium, but not so for paltinum or palladium. My local coin dealer is usually out of those coins and premiums for platinum or palladium coins sold elsewhere usually carry a much higher premium.

Are there other, cheaper sources of physical platinum or palladium that can be found by frugal people like me who have the extra time? Or would I be better off learning how to hunt for scrap silver and gold?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Re: Platinum Jewelry or scrap

Postby jasmatk » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:25 pm

If you find out where local metal detecting clubs meet you can show up pass out your number offer a fair price.Dont invade there meeting, show up early or wait till its over and then make your move.offer to show up at the next meeting with cash tell them to bring what they want to sell.This will get you some scrap plat. jewelry.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:02 pm

jasmatk wrote:If you find out where local metal detecting clubs meet you can show up pass out your number offer a fair price.Dont invade there meeting, show up early or wait till its over and then make your move.offer to show up at the next meeting with cash tell them to bring what they want to sell.This will get you some scrap plat. jewelry.

That is an awesome idea. I'm thinking that I might want to bring a really accurate scale when I show up at the 2nd meeting with cash. Or would it be better to train myself to estimate the weight?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby tedandcam » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:07 pm

No question....bring a scale
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:22 pm

tedandcam wrote:No question....bring a scale

OK. The reason I asked is that I heard that when going to garage sales to look for scrap gold or silver jewelry, bringing a scale will only make the seller think it's worth more and drive up the price.
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby jasmatk » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:26 pm

it wouldnt hurt to bring small plyers and a small flat tip screwdriver to pop out stones.let them keep the stones and buy the metal at weight.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasTT » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:36 am

I have some platinum rings and wire that I was going to send to my refiner on Friday. I will weigh what I have at the office and get back to you, but have approx. 2 ounces. I will sell those for spot.

I also have a Pt maple in stock - spot + $100.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:33 am

If you want more than fasTT can supply you with, I too will sell platinum jewellery at spot.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:31 am

Thanks guys! I'm not in a position to buy scrap platinum this month, but can I PM you in the future if things change?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals