Help with Gold?? Nugget find - with Pics!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Help with Gold?? Nugget find - with Pics!

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:15 am

Anyone care to voice their opinion on this piece? My stepdad found it in an undisclosed, rocky, isolated saltwater cove. :shock: No joke.

It looks silvery in color and does not feel particularly dense so initially I suspected that it MIGHT be silver. I wondered aloud what pewter would look like after some time in the ocean. By the growth on it(barnacles?), it appears that is has been in the ocean for a long time, so I can rule out a bunch of metals that would rust. Anyway, I put a drop of silver test acid on it. It did not turn red. Damn. But wait, even after a full minute, there was no color change at all. When I wiped away the acid, there was no mark. Strange, could this be gold or platinum?

Scratched it on the stone and applied 14K acid. No color change and after 30 seconds the line had not dissolved at all. Went up to 18K acid and the same thing happened as with the 14K. 22K acid did dissolve the line after 15 seconds or so. Platinum test acid dissolved it a little faster than the 22K did. Are there any other metals that these acids don't dissolve?

I just got my acid test kit yesterday so I am a total noob and although I am now optimistic about this "nugget" I am still not convinced that it is gold. Thought I would run it by you guys to see what else it might be. Oh, it is 0.58ozt

NOTE: The pictures came out looking much more like gold than the piece looks in real life. It appears silver in color.

If this IS real, we are going to have one hell of an expedition soon!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Help with Gold?? Nugget find - with Pics!

Postby rsk1963 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:41 am

if that is legit! Holy mother nice find.
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:45 am

Weigh it on a gram scale, then determine its volume by putting it in a narrow measuring glass or graduated cylinder in water (i.e., put some water in the glass, measure the water's volume before, then drop the nugget in, then measure the volume again, and calculate the difference). Divide the mass in grams by the volume in mL, and that gives you density, which could tell you what metal it is, if it is pure enough. If it's a mixture of a couple metals, you might get a density measurement that is in between two different elements.

Gold should be 19.30 grams/mL, silver is 10.49, brass is about 8.5.

Note: when measuring the water, do so from the meniscus (lowest point of the surface):

"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tedandcam » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:58 am

Send it to Market Harmony, my guess is he can help you out with this one. I hope he pops up on this one, it will be interesting to find out what that thing actually is.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby brian0918 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:05 am

Is it smooth because of water flowing over it, or because it was melted down?
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Oakair » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:08 am

:shock:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:31 am

Make sure it is not lead by rubbing it on that piece of paper and see if it leaves a mark. If it does it could be an old lead weight.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:05 am

Now that is one tantalizing nugget!!! If it has Platinum Group metals in it.... WOW :o :o

Go on-line and buy a small gold test kit. They are affordable and there are many to choose from. If you get a positive test result... KA-CHING!

Best of luck to you and your stepdad!!!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:24 am

brian0918 wrote:Is it smooth because of water flowing over it, or because it was melted down?

I don't know. It surely has some wear from the ocean, but I don't have the knowledge to determine if this is something that was melted, or if it natural. Maybe naturally melted even? :lol:

- Attempts to determine g/ml have not been fruitful yet. The nug won't fit in any graduated cylinders that we have.

- I rubbed it on paper and it left a little bit of a mark. Known 14K ring leaves a slightly lighter mark. Known platinum ring leaves no mark at all. Hummm, so maybe this is lead? It feels harder than lead though. Definitely not as soft as a piece of known lead here. How does lead react with 14K solution? Sucks if that's what it is, but I would not be surprised considering it came from the ocean.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:39 am

If you have a narrow round glass with a flat bottom, you can determine the volume (in mL) by measuring the height of the water (in cm) and the inner diameter (in cm) of the glass. The volume is 0.785*(diameter squared)*(height). So to get the volume of the nugget, just take the difference in heights of the water, and plug it into: 0.785*(diameter squared)*(height_2 - height_1).
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby deacon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:55 pm

I was wondering where I put that nugget. Thanks for finding it for me. :lol:

I found a round metal like that on the beach once. I thought it was lead so I threw it back. Yours looks much more promising though. Have you researched the area around the discovery site? Maybe there is a mountain of PMs just upstream.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby Oakair » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Best I've ever found is a chunk of turquoise in the Dominican republic...thought it was gum at first :lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Have not been back to the spot since. Fairly certain no one else has either. It's an island miles offshore. If anything else is in there, it is safe for a while.

Back to the lead thing... I grabbed a lead ball, this nugget, a 14K ring, and a 40% half. Lead ball made a huge mark on paper. Nugget, ring, and 40% half all made very similar marks to each other. All much less pronounced than the lead ball. So I am thinking that the nugget it not lead. It is also considerably shinier than lead, not that dull color.

Hope to be able to get a good density test tomorrow if my work schedule allows. Feeling a bit less optimistic now than I was earlier today for some reason though. In hand it still feels light to me.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Tin alloy is my guess.

Big ol fat gold nugget is my hope......but A nugget of 22K that size would weight 2-3toz.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:18 pm

If it is a natural gold nugget, you don't want to melt it. A nugget collector will pay a nice premium over spot for it.

I would consider taking a sharp knife and cutting off a sliver. Then send it to be spectro-analyzed. That will tell all the elements that are in it.

See http://www.AssayFast.com. Last year, he did a good analysis for me on some ore from my silver claim in Idaho. Call and talk with him.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:11 am

I would still get the density measurement done first, since it's so cheap and easy to do. If it's closer to 19 than to 11, then that's a good sign. If it's 11 or below, then at best it's silver, which doesn't give you much reason to spend any money on any other tests. If it's below that, then add it to your rock collection.

Even if the density measured is low, it could still have some gold in it, but it's probably not likely, so not worth it to get it tested.
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Well this is embarrassing... From the start I knew it was too light to be anything good. Then this acid came in the mail and I started putting it on everything I could find. No reaction with this. I was under the impression that the 14K solution would dissolve just about anything that is not gold or platinum. Well.. I guess I need to do more reading. Thanks for all the tips guys, and sorry to cause a stir! :lol: Sometime it is easy to convince yourself that you have something killer before reality hits you. I can't say how many times I thought I say doubling on a 1955 Lincoln.

Hopefully this thread will help out others in the future. At least those willing to use the search feature :D

~18.3g / ~7mL = Aluminum

If this was gold, it would have been 7X heavier! This nugget would have been 4 ozt! Not even close.

Anyone else ever test aluminum with 14K acid? Also thought that it would have had much more corrosion after being in the salt water. Doh.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Take heart... what you found may be of incalculable worth, if indeed it was discovered as you say "in an undisclosed, isolated cove." Scientists have long suspected that recent artifacts discovered near that location may in fact indicate the remains of the long sought after ruins of Atlantis. What you have found may well be remaining fragments of "The Prince's Throne" (pictured on the right) after it was subjected to the intense heat of volcanic magma that caused the demise of that once great civilization when Mt. Barry blew up. As the Atlantean's used to joke, "when Barry blows, he blows hard." Unfortunately, the last laugh was on them. You might try submitting the artifact to Pawn Stars and provide documentation verifying its probable provenance.

The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:37 pm

OK, I'll fess up. The undisclosed location is the Isles of Shoals. Google Isles of Shoals and Blackbeard. This is another factor that contributed to our craziness. Lots of stories and folklore out there. In reality, most people out there are just full of $h!t. We constantly expect to stumble across treasure out there. All I ever find is.. myself waking up with a hangover!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:09 pm

:LOL: Ray

and yeah....it was still a fun thread Jason.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:20 pm

No one read up on Blackbeards treasure at the Isles of Shoals yet?? I have a couple good theories and an all-access pass. 8-) Who has the skills to simultaneously dive/metal detect?

We already know that there are aluminum nuggets to be found! :lol: I can even guarantee lead and copper scrap too!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:50 pm

NHsorter wrote:No one read up on Blackbeards treasure at the Isles of Shoals yet?? I have a couple good theories and an all-access pass. 8-) Who has the skills to simultaneously dive/metal detect?

We already know that there are aluminum nuggets to be found! :lol: I can even guarantee lead and copper scrap too!

They say he buried it 60 feet deep.

Probably not worth the roadtrip.... unless I can figure out.....
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:56 pm

beauanderos wrote:Take heart... what you found may be of incalculable worth, if indeed it was discovered as you say "in an undisclosed, isolated cove." Scientists have long suspected that recent artifacts discovered near that location may in fact indicate the remains of the long sought after ruins of Atlantis. What you have found may well be remaining fragments of "The Prince's Throne" (pictured on the right) after it was subjected to the intense heat of volcanic magma that caused the demise of that once great civilization when Mt. Barry blew up. As the Atlantean's used to joke, "when Barry blows, he blows hard." Unfortunately, the last laugh was on them. You might try submitting the artifact to Pawn Stars and provide documentation verifying its probable provenance.

:lol: :lol:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals