Hoard of Fake Silver Dollars - Anyone interested?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Hoard of Fake Silver Dollars - Anyone interested?

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Local antique dealer got screwed on a bag of fake Morgan and Peace dollars. These are pretty darn good looking fakes. Probably from China. Probably CuNi. Tested with silver acid and they are not silver. Size, details, edges are all really good. Very slightly on the heavy side. 1887CC is a pretty good tip though.

I don't know how many he has or how low he would be willing to go on them, but I am trying to get an idea of what these might be worth. I'll try to help him unload them, but I would rather not sell them to some random person on craigslist cause I don't want someone else to get screwed on them again. Figure most on here would behave and just use as decoy coins.

What are they worth? Anyone interested?

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Hoard of Fake Silver Dollars - Anyone interested?

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:24 pm

1887 cc :lol:

I love it!
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Hades12 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:27 pm

I would like a few. Ideal would be $5 each on them.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby My2Cents » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:29 pm

I'd be interested in 1 or 2 just to have as comparitors to the originals.... price subjective of course.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:32 pm

$5 seems about right. You could sell them on ebay in some kind of kit with information on how to detect fakes.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:40 pm

I wont sell them on eBay. In my opinion they would have a high likelihood of being used to screw someone. The people willing to pay $10 or $15 for these are probably the ones that are just hoping to flip them to double their money.

I hear what you are saying about the fake detection kit, and it is a good idea, but I just don't want to put these back out in the wild. Don't feel right about it, and I don't have a "COPY" stamp to whack them with first.

Realcent is another story. I feel that on here there is a much better chance that they will be used for good. Already got some interest here so I'll see if I can pick them up at a reasonable price.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby My2Cents » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 pm

NHsorter wrote:Realcent is another story. I feel that on here there is a much better chance that they will be used for good. Already got some interest here so I'll see if I can pick them up at a reasonable price.

Be sure to let us know. I just talked to a buddy, and he would like a few to have as reference as well.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:52 pm

I'll PM you guys if I am able to procure them. Any extras pop up and I'll list in the Buy-It-Now section. Will be a few days before I find out so hold tight.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:00 pm

NHsorter wrote:I wont sell them on eBay. In my opinion they would have a high likelihood of being used to screw someone. The people willing to pay $10 or $15 for these are probably the ones that are just hoping to flip them to double their money.

I hear what you are saying about the fake detection kit, and it is a good idea, but I just don't want to put these back out in the wild. Don't feel right about it, and I don't have a "COPY" stamp to whack them with first.

Realcent is another story. I feel that on here there is a much better chance that they will be used for good. Already got some interest here so I'll see if I can pick them up at a reasonable price.

You wouldn't have to stamp COPY on them. Just drill a small hole that showed the inner core.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:04 pm

I'd drop them on the ground at the flea market and video the JO's who discover them, and secretly pocket them.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Hades12 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:11 pm

My LPS has one he uses it to teach. I tried to buy his.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:44 pm

I'd be interested in one of each too for study.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:39 pm

beauanderos wrote:
NHsorter wrote:I wont sell them on eBay. In my opinion they would have a high likelihood of being used to screw someone. The people willing to pay $10 or $15 for these are probably the ones that are just hoping to flip them to double their money.

You wouldn't have to stamp COPY on them. Just drill a small hole that showed the inner core.

Metal punches are cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Marking-Punches-S ... B000RB7BXG

Plus, the Hobby Protection Act clearly state that fakes like these need to be marked as a copy in some way, shape, or form for them to be sold. Simply drilling it does not satisfy the requirements.

http://www.apic.us/Resources/HobbyProte ... fault.aspx
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:59 pm

Thogey wrote:I'd drop them on the ground at the flea market and video the JO's who discover them, and secretly pocket them.

Supergluing them to the floor could provide some added amusement. ;)

I pressed a quarter into my sidewalk while it was setting, and have gotten years of free entertainment watching little kids try to pick it up.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:02 am

I also would like a couple :o
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Beau » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:57 am

I would like a few of them.
I can mark them 'COPY' with a stamp.
I would like to mark 'COPY' on the back and put some in a new sidewalk that I`am having built.
let me know by PM what you need for them.

THANKS Beau

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:40 am

Add me to the list for a couple.

Chris
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Gamecock » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:54 am

I might be interested in getting a couple
"When a government overvalues one type of money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear from circulation into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Gamecock
Penny Pincher Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:59 am

:shock:
Last edited by reddirtcoins on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby captainpooby » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:33 am

I would like a couple. At least one of the CCs.
Always look out for number one. Unless someone is throwing poop around.

The look out for number two.
captainpooby

Postby dakota1955 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:34 am

I would also spring for a couple.
dakota1955

Postby christostock » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:42 am

Be careful selling those!!!! even selling them as fakes!!!!
they are counterfeit and the secret service could make your life miserable!!!!!
Just don't want anybody in that kind of trouble!!!
And you never know who is looking at this website!!!
I actually encountered a lot 2 weeks ago. There were 138 morgans and peace.
They were sold to a cash for gold guy in Worcester that I buy from.
Morgans were 1885 and 1889 mostly. all the edges were too similar. And they all sound very tinny when clinked together.
These are different than the fakes that were in New England 2 years ago but have the same type of characteristics.
The secret service got involved with these a couple years ago.
These new fakes have a good weight. But they all weight exactly the same.
Please be careful everyone.
PEACE
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:39 am

Wow, thanks Chris. Never really thought about this.

If I stamp them "COPY" would that be enough to satisfy the SS? Like I said, I don't want to empower any criminals. Guess I should also make sure that I don't get my own ass in a pinch! Anyone have a COPY stamp for sale, or to loan out?

Ughhh... I guess I should go through my stash again and do a ring test and weigh everything. One reason why old rolls of dimes are sometimes easier to deal with since these type of issues don't really apply.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tedandcam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:02 am

I'd like some to use as decoys in the vault. Have been thinking of getting some of those Buffalo Rounds with a thin layer of 24k gold overlayed that retail for around $10 each. I figure a thief is gonna get all excited take whats there and run like hell (hopefully without hurting anyone). He'll be awfully upset when he figures out that he's been had. I've been looking at that kinda stuff as a security measure. Mark them COPY on the backs and I'll slab them with the backs covered.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:04 am

Im betting chris is right. Im not basing it on any real knowledge, just the fact they are fakes, and not marked copy which I believe is the law.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals