Hoard of Fake Silver Dollars - Anyone interested?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Hoard of Fake Silver Dollars - Anyone interested?

Postby christostock » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:27 am

Your safest bet is to JUST SAY NO.
Just walk away. don't fondle them. Don't dream about them.
WALK AWAY!!!

NHsorter wrote:Wow, thanks Chris. Never really thought about this.

If I stamp them "COPY" would that be enough to satisfy the SS? Like I said, I don't want to empower any criminals. Guess I should also make sure that I don't get my own ass in a pinch! Anyone have a COPY stamp for sale, or to loan out?

Ughhh... I guess I should go through my stash again and do a ring test and weigh everything. One reason why old rolls of dimes are sometimes easier to deal with since these type of issues don't really apply.
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mflugher » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Walk away, I have a pile of 100x that I paid $2k for a while back, it is safely held in the evidence locker of the local Police dept. along with a photocopy of the fake PA ID the guy used when selling them. I have no desire to handle these coins again...

Don't deal in them, don't have them in your possession, counterfeit money is a BIG DEAL. I would recommend your friend who got screwed file a police report asap. That's Fraud and counterfeit issues you don't want to deal with, and he should be able to recover his money from an honest person who didn't know, and if the person knowingly passed him counterfeit goods, it will be handled by the courts and police. Either way he will be in a better spot than he is now by reporting it.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:32 pm

You guys are ruining the fun for everyone that wanted some of these for $5 a pop! :lol:

OK, that's it. Another one of my threads blows up in smoke :lol: Thanks for the input guys. Awesome advice on here!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hades12 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Mark them as a copy so they are ok. I would still like a few. would be nice to have as a reference.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:09 pm

NHsorter wrote:You guys are ruining the fun for everyone that wanted some of these for $5 a pop! :lol:

Is it really worth it for a Realcent member to be in jail for breaking the law like this? I know making money is a good goal, but there needs to be some discretion and common sense. It's better for all members here to at least look out for other members if they're gonna do something wrong and try to advise them of the possible implications a/or impart some friendly advice.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:09 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
NHsorter wrote:You guys are ruining the fun for everyone that wanted some of these for $5 a pop! :lol:

Is it really worth it for a Realcent member to be in jail for breaking the law like this? I know making money is a good goal, but there needs to be some discretion and common sense. It's better for all members here to at least look out for other members if they're gonna do something wrong and try to advise them of the possible implications a/or impart some friendly advice.

I was just joking. That's why I put the little dude laughing in there.

Don't worry, I am not touching these coins now. They won't be sold here or anywhere else and I am going to recommend that the dealer contact the cops to report this.

It is kind of spoiling the fun to not be able to do this. On one hand I see the importance of taking this sort of thing seriously to protect the currency(as laughable as that is becoming) and the hobby. But on the other hand, I did not really see it as a big deal at first.

In my coin adventures, I have come across a lot of fakes. You see them all the time. I became accustomed to finding stuff like this. Typically 1-coin at a time, and usually marked as a copy. I just did not think much of it. I was ignorant of the risk with these. But the wisdom of realcent has set me on the correct path.

I have seen other members on here a lot talking about decoy coins and maybe a small sale or two so I dropped my guard a bit. I was not planning on really making much. Thought I might be able to get them for $3-$4 each and sell here for $5. Mostly I just felt bad for the dealer and thought I would try to help him recoup some of his losses.

That's all folks. We'll leave testing the limits of the law to big corporations and such with teams of lawyer$.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:56 pm

Sorry didn't mean to scare you, but when I accidentally bought those bad coins it sucked... then when I researched what to do about it I found out it was a REALLY big deal... like long term prison sentence if you get the wrong prosecutor. I was just trying to protect you and them. However if you marked them copy I suppose it would no longer be an issue, but you would be screwing the guy who bought them out of his legal recourse by destroying the evidence (also a crime punishable by years in prison which you might inadvertently find yourself guilty of...)

Seriously any time you see these fakes just put them in police custody asap... they really aren't worth the hassle, as cool as they "seem" to be.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby Catfish4u » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:41 pm

NHsorter wrote:Wow, thanks Chris. Never really thought about this.

If I stamp them "COPY" would that be enough to satisfy the SS? Like I said, I don't want to empower any criminals. Guess I should also make sure that I don't get my own ass in a pinch! Anyone have a COPY stamp for sale, or to loan out?

Ughhh... I guess I should go through my stash again and do a ring test and weigh everything. One reason why old rolls of dimes are sometimes easier to deal with since these type of issues don't really apply.

I bought 100 fake Morgans off Craigslist. I took them to a coin auction and they were good enough to fool two dealers. I wanted to prosecute the perp and the Secret Service was at first very interested. They then stood me up and I think the perp was suspicious. The SS guy told me it is not illegal to possess or sell those coins if not marked copy. But, you must inform the buyer those coins are fakes. Just my bad experience........
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:01 pm

i would like some as comparators, 1 or 2 of each kind.

i have some gold decoys i bought off ebay but i'm pretty sure they all are marked copy or replica or something.

good point on counterfeit law - you might find someone who has a metal stamp that says copy and just punch them.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:43 pm

It is not illegal to possess copies or counterfeits, it is only illegal to make them or to attempt to sell/spend them as if they were real.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby christostock » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:47 pm

So if you go to the bank and you have a $100 bill that is counterfeit, They would confiscate it and call the SS.
They would NOT give it back to you so you could possess it.
This would ruin anyone's day!!!!
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:41 pm

christostock wrote:So if you go to the bank and you have a $100 bill that is counterfeit, They would confiscate it and call the SS.
They would NOT give it back to you so you could possess it.
This would ruin anyone's day!!!!

Well if you tried to give it to a bank that would be attempting to pass it which is a crime. But its only a crime if you do so knowingly, so like you said, they would probably just hold it for the Secret Service who might ask you some questions but would not charge you with anything unless there was evidence you made it yourself or knew it was counterfeit. Collecting fake money is not against the law.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:49 pm

if you had 200 they might claim some bs intent to use them, like if you have a ton of drugs they get you for intent to sell rather than just mere possession. its a questionable thing to possess if they are not marked copy. i'm not your mother or your lawyer, just suggesting additional caution. One has a right to own guns in this country the the u.s. govt burnt down the branch davidians. as david st. hubbins said, there is fine line between clever and stupid.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John Reich » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:57 pm

I've been collecting contemporary counterfeit coins for 20 years or so. I always make sure the holder I keep the coin in is prominently labeled "counterfeit". I've purchased coins a auction, from dealers--sometimes they knew the coin was counterfeit, sometimes not. Anyhow, if you intend to keep them you may want to label the container you keep them in to avoid any misunderstanding. The Secret Service ignores contemporary counterfeits and usually turns a blind eye to numismatic counterfeits. It's usually organizations like the ANA or PNG or the grading services that catch numismatic counterfeits.
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby stash » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:14 pm

stash

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:41 pm

"Collecting fake money is not against the law"

This statement is true; all you have to do is reach for your wallet and you will be able to see your own fake collection. :D
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals