Anyone sort & sell as a full time job?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Anyone sort & sell as a full time job?

Postby CardsNCoins » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:10 pm

That thread about Pincher Processing was a great read.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Madwest » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:41 pm

NHsorter wrote:
Madwest wrote:Here's quite the story of someone doing it for good income (before the melt ban)
http://www.goldismoney2.com/showthread. ... essing-LLC

Oh, the missed opportunities.

Wow, that was a good read! Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I loved reading it. The OP/Author of that thread makes good prose. I felt the emotion while following the story.

I could only imagine going through it first hand - how exciting and gut wrenching it would have been.
Madwest
Penny Pincher Member

Postby plus1hdcp » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:00 am

CardsNCoins wrote:That thread about Pincher Processing was a great read.

This - thanks for sharing.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:59 pm

highroller4321 wrote:
stlouiscoin wrote:highroll4321 (adam young) does, I know for a fact. hes admin here. hoardcopperbytheton(aka hcbtt) sells a hell of a lot, but I don't think its his main form of income.

highroller4321 and I am a mod not an admin ;)

Yes, I do it for an everyday "job" Check out http://www.portlandmint.com

Hcbtt sorts but usually doesnt sell much anymore. He has a non coin related full time job.

Hey, anybody want to buy 500 tons of cardboard? I can make you such a deal. (That's part of my everday job.. still involves sorting though) The price of cardboard is dropping faster than the price of a CTU on the penny board.
I do still sell off a CTU now and then.. but I don't want to dent the hoard at current prices. I used to move a lot more in the gool ol' days when I was getting 2.25x for everything I could produce. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Ninsha » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks for all the responses, and welcoming me! The Pincher story was a great read!
Ninsha

Postby getdong » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:19 pm

i been away from the site for a while. i buy and sell currencies and collectibles and do some ebay selling however in my experience things seem to ebb and flow. one day people are buying like crazy and then its a drought for a few weeks. the numbers make sense its possible if your sorting enough adn have a good ebay rep power seller top rated seller thing going and maybe your own platform like a website but i would think its not consistant enough to be a comfortable and safe sole income.
getdong
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:56 am

getdong wrote:i would think its not consistant enough to be a comfortable and safe sole income.

I'm persuaded more and more everyday that having only one stream of income is a risky way to live anyway :P
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverChaser111 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:13 pm

highroller4321 wrote:
stlouiscoin wrote:highroll4321 (adam young) does, I know for a fact. hes admin here. hoardcopperbytheton(aka hcbtt) sells a hell of a lot, but I don't think its his main form of income.

highroller4321 and I am a mod not an admin ;)

Yes, I do it for an everyday "job" Check out http://www.portlandmint.com

Hcbtt sorts but usually doesnt sell much anymore. He has a non coin related full time job.

Ok, so it must just be my luck that I recently started stacking metals a cpl months ago, and I now find out I live in the same city (portland) as prob the LARGEST copper sorter in the nation?!? :( :lol:

I don't sort anywhere near that level, it's just a part time hobby of mine. But, I was planning on adding a cpl boxes of pennies to my current silver sorting each week... would that be just completely futile at this point? I guess I'll find out soon enough but have you pretty much "emptied" the entire portland area HR??? :o
SilverChaser111
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:04 pm

SilverChaser111 wrote:

Ok, so it must just be my luck that I recently started stacking metals a cpl months ago, and I now find out I live in the same city (portland) as prob the LARGEST copper sorter in the nation?!? :( :lol:

I don't sort anywhere near that level, it's just a part time hobby of mine. But, I was planning on adding a cpl boxes of pennies to my current silver sorting each week... would that be just completely futile at this point? I guess I'll find out soon enough but have you pretty much "emptied" the entire portland area HR??? :o

He could probably give you a pretty good deal on as much as you want to stack.. and you wouldn't even have to sort it. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby SilverChaser111 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:21 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
SilverChaser111 wrote:

He could probably give you a pretty good deal on as much as you want to stack.. and you wouldn't even have to sort it. :mrgreen:

I'm sure you're right... but I like sorting :D I'm not working right now because of a shoulder injury that I just had surgery for, so I've got a LOT of time on my hands. Sorting is just a way to pass the time in a somewhat productive manner... a hobby that produces small profits (very small at the moment :lol: ) Once I'm back to working ft again I'm sure at that point I'll be happy to just purchase the copper rather than sort it.
SilverChaser111
Penny Sorter Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Sheba wrote:
natsb88 wrote:CTU generally means $100 face, approximately 68 pounds, because it's a nice round number that happens to be the most you can practically ship in a Medium Flat Rate Box (the total weight limit, including packaging, is 70 pounds). A mini-CTU is the same idea, but with a Small Flat Rate Box; $18 face, approximately 12 pounds.

Thanks very much. That is very helpful!

So how much does a CTU go for then? I'm guessing 150 or so?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:25 pm

SilverChaser111 wrote:
HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
SilverChaser111 wrote:

I'm sure you're right... but I like sorting :D I'm not working right now because of a shoulder injury that I just had surgery for, so I've got a LOT of time on my hands. Sorting is just a way to pass the time in a somewhat productive manner... a hobby that produces small profits (very small at the moment :lol: ) Once I'm back to working ft again I'm sure at that point I'll be happy to just purchase the copper rather than sort it.

I'm contemplating just purchasing some presorted coppers just to get a bigger jump on my stacking. I enjoy sorting boxes by hand, but sometimes I don't get as much time as I would like. Sorting boxes also allows for the chance of finding some little treats for your effort as well.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing