Learn from my mistakes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Learn from my mistakes

Postby booclads » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Learn from my mistakes

Have a decent bankroll to sort coins. It sucks and wastes so much time to run from bank to bank dumping and recycling coin just so you can sort everything they have. Today I sorted over $900 but had to make 3 trips to get every coin.

I'd suggest to have at least $1k on hand which most of you probably have but some may not. This should cover most if not all of the various cwr and loose halves within a 5 mile radius and keep you busy until you can dump and recycle. You also can buy a bag if that situation comes up or 2 boxes. Less trips means less gas and less hassle from banks! Take it from me and don't sort $2500+ with a starting bank of $97! I had to even sell some of my silver to pay down debt and add to my meager roll. Hopefully in time I can build savings and operate with a much larger base of money.
booclads

Re: Learn from my mistakes

Postby BlackOut » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:25 pm

It does make things easier, but your bankroll can never be high enough to be satisfied, ar least for me it doesnt. It is getting harder and harder to come up with excuses to tell my wife why she can't get her new carpet.
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 pm

BlackOut wrote:It does make things easier, but your bankroll can never be high enough to be satisfied, ar least for me it doesnt. It is getting harder and harder to come up with excuses to tell my wife why she can't get her new carpet.

I'll second the thought that it can never be quite high enough...especially if you're doing dimes and halves.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Engineer wrote:
BlackOut wrote:It does make things easier, but your bankroll can never be high enough to be satisfied, ar least for me it doesnt. It is getting harder and harder to come up with excuses to tell my wife why she can't get her new carpet.

I'll second the thought that it can never be quite high enough...especially if you're doing dimes and halves.

I'll third that. I had to pass on a bag of halves the other day. I had 1K on the front seat already. Turned out o.k. I got 7 40% and onbe 1964.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:36 pm

Yes, a decent bankroll (1-2K minimum) is an absolute must for Coin Roll Hunting, as it's all about the volume (I could tell you some fun stories...). Plus, the larger the volume that you move/sort, the larger the finds. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby booclads » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:50 am

Too bad I dont have a bigger bankroll...it cost me at least 2 silver halfs last week.

I was dumping $600 into a coin machine and it filled the bag. The teller came over to change the bag and I chatted with her and I looked and noticed 2 silver halfs sticking out like sore thumbs. I joked that she should let me pick them out and she said the bag was sealed so she couldn't, but she could sell me the bag for $1000. I didn't have the funds...who knows what else was in the bag but those 2 looked like 90%ers to me or possibly 1970 40%ers. Oh well, live learn and continue building my roll I guess.
booclads

Postby rainsonme » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:20 pm

I agree that about $1k is what is required to sort. There is a side bennefit; you are prepared for emergencies, because at any time you have $1k in cash, either paper or coin, but cash. If there were a natural disaster, nuclear mis-fortune, terror attack, or cyber attack, or something else unforseen that struck, the sorter with $1k in bills or coins is prepared at least on the money front (water, transport, food, security, health, and other things still need attention, but at least the money would be covered) and this is a 7x24 condition for the sorter, so we are always prepared --- nice bi-product of an otherwise bad habit.

As for Mr. BlackOut's problem with the wife's new carpet, have you considered telling her that zinc pennies inlaid in clear polyverathene is more attractive, durable, and cheaper per sq ft that some stupid polyester rug that will just get pet stains on it over time?
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals