Do you use bank lobby to make a craigslist transaction?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Do you use bank lobby to make a craigslist transaction?

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:43 am

I am considering selling some coins locally via craigslist. Anybody utilize one of their bank branches to do such business? I have seen some banks post signs that say only bank business is allowed for entrance/visit -ie- makes it sound like they want to shoo away solicitors perhaps? My reasoning is that the buyer would pay with $50 or $100 bills and I can verify/deposit money on the spot with the bank tellers? Never did a craigslist transaction. My thoughts are I probably do not want buyer(s) to know anything more about me than that I sold some silver to them. Maybe not a great idea to enlist a bank lobby then? How do people propose using a police building to make a transaction? I'd think the police would tell you to get the heck out of their building. BTW, I am getting totally convinced that Ebay is for buying only. Selling is too much red-tape for items that trade at the margin prices, like silver.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Do you use bank lobby to make a craigslist transaction?

Postby goodcents » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:58 am

I've done transactions in the parking lot of my bank and asked the person to wait for the items until I go in and either cash the check or deposit the money. That way you are not in the bank but only a few steps away and it should not be inconvenient for the buyer because you'll be out in just a few minutes. Usually the parking lots are of decent size with people around and in a busy area. Plus doing deals in a bank lobby I really wouldn't want my transactions being on camera.
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:09 pm

This might be a dumb question but why not try to sell here first before doing the craigs list thing? Or have you already tried here?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Get one of those test pens to check the bills if you are that worried about fakes. Write down the license plate of the person that you transacted with if you want t cover your hiney. Then if you did get fake money, you'll have a good lead for the secret service.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:31 pm

NDFarmer wrote:This might be a dumb question but why not try to sell here first before doing the craigs list thing? Or have you already tried here?

Shipping costs.
Time of delivery.
Type of funds remitted.
Trustworthiness of both parties.
Pricing.

I can not think of other obstacles right now. Nothing against the RC members here, but the convenience is to have someone I can just swap in person with right now.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:32 pm

goodcents wrote: Plus doing deals in a bank lobby I really wouldn't want my transactions being on camera.

Good point.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:42 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:

Shipping costs.
Time of delivery.
Type of funds remitted.
Pricing.

I can not think of other obstacles right now. Nothing against the RC members here, but the convenience is to have someone I can just swap in person with right now.

I couldn't agree with you more, all the reasons you listed are exactly the reason why I would NOT do any craigs list deals. There are many people here that I wouldn't think twice about sending several hundred or thousands of dollars to. I have done it many times.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:14 pm

CL is great for certian things. I bought 2 concert tickets last night for a sold out show tomorrow. Show has been sold out for 2+ months and I got great tickets for $20 less then if I bought them right away.

If its a very large transaction then I might go into the bank lobby. If its just a small transaction no need to draw attention to yourself in the bank. I would find a grocery store or something and just do the deal right in the parking lot or something.....but thats just me.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Oakair » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:50 pm

I always do restaurants...

Have done a few deals in the thousands and it's always good to see the waitresses faces when they see the table covered in silver coins :lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:20 pm

NDFarmer wrote:
JerrySpringer wrote:

Shipping costs.
Time of delivery.
Type of funds remitted.
Pricing.

I couldn't agree with you more, all the reasons you listed are exactly the reason why I would NOT do any craigs list deals. There are many people here that I wouldn't think twice about sending several hundred or thousands of dollars to. I have done it many times.

+1

Lord knows who will see / respond to / show up for a Craigslist deal. At least here you have some feedback/references to go by.

To me, arranging a meeting place and time, taking gas and time to get there, then hoping they show up and don't pull anything weird, is a HUGE hassle compared to printing a shipping label online. Not to mention the potential trouble you invite by arranging to meet a stranger in a parking lot who knows you'll be carrying valuables :?

Craigslist can be good for large but relatively low-value items that aren't worth shipping, or regional-specific things like highroller's ticket example, but I wouldn't waste my time trying to sell coins there. Probably won't get the full value anyway; people on Craigslist are generally looking for bottom-dollar bargains, or to make a quick buck off the uniformed. They aren't there to pay coin shop or even Realcent prices.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby christostock » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:24 pm

I have used a branch of one of my banks.
Monster box of eagles, I let the manager know what I am doing.
Exchanging a large amount of cash for a large amount of precious metal.
This is the safest place I could think of completing the transaction.
They have cameras.
I have been given an empty desk several times.
I have been offered an open office several times.
You actually are doing bank business.
You are their customer and you are exchanging large amounts of cash.
Let them know what you are doing.
If you have a safe deposit box you get to use the secret room for your transaction!!!
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:13 pm

I prefer to meet potential buyers and sellers in a public venue with ACTIVE security cameras. I prefer to meet in local bank or credit union branches. Other places I have met in include cafes, mall food courts, local coin dealers, hospital lobbies, and a variety of other venues with video cameras. My first choice is the branch with my safe deposit box.

I always carry concealed, so I have to ensure the meeting place is not averse to my preference to carry.

When meeting in a bank or C.U., it is important that the branch manager knows what is going on. I have never been turned down when asking for a few chairs.

NEVER meet any stranger at your home or theirs, or any place that makes you in the least bit uncomfortable.

Always be the first in and the last out.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby scrapman1077 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:25 pm

one bank I used let customers use a conference room with a days notice/ if available.
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:53 pm

I bought a large amount of 90% from a guy at a bank before. We sat in the lobby and a few bank personal walked by while we were counting the coins. I felt safe and the transaction went smooth.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby justoneguy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:22 pm

I like to meet at our library.
They'll give me a private room in a public place.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:15 pm

justoneguy wrote:I like to meet at our library.
They'll give me a private room in a public place.

Libraries are nice, especially if you might need internet access to look up some values.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:51 pm

Biggest I ever did was a 21k deal at a Texas roadhouse. 12k in cash and 9k personal check. Was kind of surprised the guy took it but assured him it was good. And bought him dinner too. Sat and talked for about an hr.
Did an 8800 deal at the pizzeria once.
Met a guy at his house to look at his Morgan collection . Did offer next day and he delivered to my house. Older widowed man. Again talked for an hr. Done many 2-5l deals in the motel lobby which surprises me a little bit.
Met alot of good people too.
misteroman

Postby mr18 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:07 am

CL is hit or miss. I always buy silver coinage on CL. I set up time and place to meet, if seller does not comply, I do not conduct business. I always pay in $20's. When I sell items on CL (such as bikes, and misc items i find at yard sales), I again, set up time and place and ask to buyer to bring exact change in small bills. I always conduct transactions in public locations such as a starbucks where there is always alot of people and cameras, starbucks are especially good when they are located inside of a Target store. If I ever sell silver, try Realcent first, if its a face to face transaction you want, look up a RC member near you.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mishra142 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:08 am

Has anyone had a deal on Craigslist that requires shipping? What's the best way to do this? Only thing I could think of was to either set up an eBay auction for them (fees :/) or send them a PayPal invoice.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:34 am

mishra142 wrote:Has anyone had a deal on Craigslist that requires shipping? What's the best way to do this? Only thing I could think of was to either set up an eBay auction for them (fees :/) or send them a PayPal invoice.

This scares me. Anyone requesting to ship on CL, I just delete the message. Maybe I am overcautious, I am sure that legitimate transactions have taken place, but I personally prefer to avoid this.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:08 pm

i have had success on CL through dumb luck. what usually happens is this. first, if its a small lot, someone invariably will offer more than its worth to me. a few times i have seen larger lots. I have offered to buy it all for a price that is fair to me. buyers with a lot of stuff will usually accept a discount if you are capable of a larger deal not flaky. did some medium size deals and then they would call me to do more. but yeah you get all types. one guy lived in the middle of nowhere and would cut his prices to make it worth my while to drive out to him - about 3 hours round trip. another guy had lots of gold, pretty wealthy, but dressed like a homeless man, sort of ungroomed. guy drives around in a 70s gas guzzler with a bumper sticker advocating gold. wierd guy. he was former military and i think he got recruited from their into some sort of clandestine service. i told him it was a real bad idea to have a gold bumpersticker on his car. he meets me at a bank lobby and he has all of his coins in a beat up dirty igloo cooler. branch manager was pretty ticked off. another dude had me drive out to his house, which is really stupid on his part.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rockme54 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:55 pm

I have bought and sold many things on CL, phones, cars, furniture, appliances, etc...have always had great luck and only one bad experience with a guy who didn't change over the title as soon as he should have. But with metals, hmm, would definitely want to meet somewhere safe, but I'm a trusting fellow and live in Oklahoma, most folks have that old western mentality about honesty and such, which isn't a bad thing. And it is a concealed carry state.....
rockme54

Postby Sterling Silver » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:23 am

I used to do them in restaurants until I saw "Pulp Fiction." :) Now I perfer hotel lobbys.
"I can tell your fancy, I can tell your plain.
You give something up for everything you gain.
Since every pleasures' got an edge of pain,
Pay for your ticket and don't complain." Bob Dylan
Sterling Silver
Penny Sorter Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:06 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:Trustworthiness of both parties.

I added up the combined feedback from the top 50 "best users" category and there is 2,325 positive transactions and 0 negative.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals