Unique Morgan

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Unique Morgan

Postby RxForPain » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:46 pm

I picked this up the other day for a little over spot and cannot find any information about it. It appears to be an employee name badge from "Harolds Club" in Reno Nevada (which is long gone) and it belonged to Linda. Looks like a morgan set in some type of resin. The edge appears to be ground out smooth as well. The whole badge has a gold tone to it.

I did find that they use to have what was called the $1000 dollar bar with $1000 morgans inset into the bar counter top. Any information anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. I spent several hours on the net looking and have not been able to find another one or anyone like it.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa11 ... nda1-1.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa11 ... nda2-2.jpg
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Unique Morgan

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:32 am

http://www.onlinenevada.org/Harolds_Club

http://oldreno.net/harolds.htm

The Covered Wagon Room

Harolds Covered Wagon Room established two things that were to always characterize the club: first it's rustic cowboy theme, and second it's flavor of novelty features such as the Silver Dollar Bar. The Silver Dollar Bar was an elaborate, curved bar with 2,141 silver dollars embedded in clear plastic as the bar top. The rail of the bar was an orange plastic and the silver dollars were backlit which gave the bartop a unique visual depth. At the back of the bar was originally a waterfall of bourbon streaming down rocks and splashing into a pool, all surrounded by rustic scenery. The whiskey was replaced by water as the fumes made the area very unpleasant in short order.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RxForPain » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:06 pm

I had found both of those web pages in my search. I have not been able to find anything about the name badge or even another one like it though.
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:23 pm

The Covered Wagon Bar
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Copper Catcher

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Hard to tell if they are wearing the Silver Dollar name badge...

I found this at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98631686@N ... 665577796/
Copper Catcher

Postby RxForPain » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Great pictures and some of those I have not seen. If nothing else it is just something different and worth the $30 just for the fun factor. Amazing how all those silver dollars were used... very few ever knew what was to come. I would of thought as big as Harolds was that some of these would have survived and still be around. I guess the search goes on...
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby everything » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:16 am

Cool piece of history, wonder if they let the employees keep the name tag, I'm guessing yes. This might have only been for certain types of employees, or something you get after working at the club for a certain amount of time, it's hard to say.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:52 am

I was stationed at Stead AFB in 1959 an 60 it is just 10 miles north of Reno.
Harold's was a great place to get free drinks at a chuck-a-luck table betting 25 cents 5 dice in cage. I had good times, Do not remember silver dollar name tags but rarely hit big enough to get to the upper floor's, Oh to be Free an 21 again 8-)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:32 pm

Very interesting history there. I guess that is why I like Morgans so much. There is a so much history in each coin. When you get one from 1878 or 1879 in your hand you think about all the saloons in the old west that coin could have been in or all the time that coin could have spent in Nevada over the years.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RxForPain » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:26 pm

You can only imagine the stories "Linda" had working at Harolds. :mrgreen: Would be a great mini series I am sure.
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RxForPain » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:46 pm

The wife and I just spent a few days up in Reno for the "Best in the West Rib Cookoff" (a whole lot of fun if you ever get the chance, and bring the BBQ bid... YUM!), so I hit some of the local pawn shops. I figured if anyone had ever seen one of these the locals would have. After four shops not a one had seen a name tag like it. One owner even called his friend that had worked as a waitress at Harolds and she didn't remember any name tags like it. She did recall a manager by the name of Linda though... the search continues. Strange though that not even the locals know for sure.

Talked to one shop that bought all the dollars from the "Silver Dollar Bar". Apparently a local bought the bar counter and broke it all apart for the dollars and sold them for scrap. The guy that bought them all said they were in rough shape after they had been broke out of the bar. Over 2000 silver dollars : (
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals