Walking Liberty Quarters and Silver Canadian Quarters

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Walking Liberty Quarters and Silver Canadian Quarters

Postby HelloMeteor » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:53 pm

I bought a large amount of pre-65 quarters from APMEX. I recieved 20 standing liberty quarters that were pretty worn(only one date showing), and 8 canadian quarters, two of which are from 1968. I want to get rid of these and replace them with the proper washington quarters.

Anyone know what these are worth? Anyone want to trade for washington quarters?
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Walking Liberty Quarters and Silver Canadian Quarters

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:18 pm

APMEX sent you '68 Canadian quarters when they were suppose to send you silver U.S? Sounds like you should complain if that is the case.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HelloMeteor » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:29 pm

Pennysaved wrote:APMEX sent you '68 Canadian quarters when they were suppose to send you silver U.S? Sounds like you should complain if that is the case.

I noticed those are only 50% silver.

I bought them in September of 2006. It might be a bit late to complain.

What about worn standing liberty quarters? Are those comparable to non-worn washingtons?
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HelloMeteor » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:31 pm

Pennysaved wrote:APMEX sent you '68 Canadian quarters when they were suppose to send you silver U.S? Sounds like you should complain if that is the case.

Also, it was only 8 canadians, out of 4000 quarters. Is 0.2% close enough?
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:56 pm

The SLQ slicks are probably about 92% of the weight of an uncirculated quarter, so figure you lost approximately 40 cents per coin of silver value for wear. The two 68 Canadians are worth about $2.69 each, the others $4.31. You got gypped a little bit, but it's too late to do anything about it now. No one is going to trade you straight across for slicks. Just hold onto them and sell them at the end of April, they'll be worth far more then than now, and will enable you to "take profits" on a small portion of your hoard if you've already designated coins you wish to get rid of.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby theo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:33 pm

HelloMeteor wrote:I bought a large amount of pre-65 quarters from APMEX. I recieved 20 standing liberty quarters that were pretty worn(only one date showing), and 8 canadian quarters, two of which are from 1968. I want to get rid of these and replace them with the proper washington quarters.

Anyone know what these are worth? Anyone want to trade for washington quarters?

Some of the 1968 Canadians are made of nickel. Do your quarters stick to magnets?
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HelloMeteor » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:48 am

beauanderos wrote:The SLQ slicks are probably about 92% of the weight of an uncirculated quarter, so figure you lost approximately 40 cents per coin of silver value for wear. The two 68 Canadians are worth about $2.69 each, the others $4.31. You got gypped a little bit, but it's too late to do anything about it now. No one is going to trade you straight across for slicks. Just hold onto them and sell them at the end of April, they'll be worth far more then than now, and will enable you to "take profits" on a small portion of your hoard if you've already designated coins you wish to get rid of.

I don't really care about getting ripped off for this amount. I don't really consider it a rip-off anyway. If it had been 10%, or a large number like that, then sure. But twenty standing quarters and 8 canadians is pretty trivial. You wouldn't be too upset if you bought a 0.999 bar and found out it was actually 0.997 would you? That's an equivalent scenario(actually slightly worse than my scenario).
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby misteroman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:58 am

just be happy ya grabbed them in 06 and what the are worth now
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HelloMeteor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:17 am

misteroman wrote:just be happy ya grabbed them in 06 and what the are worth now

Yup.
HelloMeteor